What about reprisals?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What about reprisals?

What about reprisals?

I saw the thread "Is carrying dangerous?" and wondered did you ever consider the possibility of reprisals from the BG's friends or family in the event that you ever have to defend yourself? Has anyone on this board ever experienced that? I'm particularly thinking of gangs. You will almost certainly be identified in the press and they will know where to find you.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I saw the thread "Is carrying dangerous?" and wondered did you ever consider the possibility of reprisals from the BG's friends or family in the event that you ever have to defend yourself? Has anyone on this board ever experienced that? I'm particularly thinking of gangs. You will almost certainly be identified in the press and they will know where to find you.
    A great point. It's one more factor to throw into the equation (which includes physical threat, and legal, financial, emotional factors) which governs when you use deadly force. Pick your battles carefully.

"Pick your battles carefully."

Sometime, most of the time, YOU don't get to pick the battle. The battle picks you! Yes, I choose where I go and with whom I associate but since the mobility of the BG is just as great, if not greater than, as mine I may just be reacting.

My first encounter was when I was helping a friend who was coming to town by bus, the station used to be in a good area now not. I had a choice only being a friend I really didn't. The three miscreants, fortunately, had brought knives to a gun fight. I only had to let my coat float open in the breeze and the encounter was over. I did know their intentions as I heard their discussion of what they were going to do to the w***e boy on their turf. This was before cell phones or common thugs complaining to the police.

Later, working in a store, I did not, and still don't, pick who walks in.

I have experienced the threat of reprisals. Years ago we took in some burgled goods, our records led to the arrest and conviction of two gang leaders. We were told by the Sacramento Sheriff's Deputies that our shop had been targeted by the rest of the gang. We did not change our SOP so were always armed anyway. Suspected gang members were casing the joint and saw two men carrying 1911s and one HBAR and one Benelli M1 Super 90 held at bird ready. They left a cloud of dust on the way and we never heard about them again. This is not everyone's solution, more's the pity.

Finally, each situation is different and requires a different solution. We are an adaptable race. Illigitimiti non carborundum.

Or, you can just be a Sheeple and let them do whatever they want to you. As for me and mine, hope for the best, but prepare for the worse. First of all, my family would be moved to a safe location until I thought it to be safe to return home if any questions as to their safety. Next, I am pretty watchful of my surroundings, not very likely for someone to get the jump on me. Been carrying OC and CC for close to 30 years now. My guns are as much a part of me as my clothes. I actually feel undressed without at least one on me now. Would still feel safer by stopping a threat, then worrying about the possibility of reprisal, than not having a means to protect innocent people.

Ditto on what SteveB said. Sure - should something happen (pray it doesn't) - then yep the potential for some knucklehead to attempt to get back at you is real. However, you can't let that fear paralyze you - that will get you hurt or worse. Be prepared, be aware, and just don't put yourself in potentially dangerous situations or locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Couzin View Post
    Ditto on what SteveB said. Sure - should something happen (pray it doesn't) - then yep the potential for some knucklehead to attempt to get back at you is real. However, you can't let that fear paralyze you - that will get you hurt or worse. Be prepared, be aware, and just don't put yourself in potentially dangerous situations or locations.
    Thanks Cuz

Quote Originally Posted by Couzin View Post
    I second and resound the Ditto!

It only provides you with more live, moving targets! Many times threats are just that. Alot of mouthing off. On the rare occassion that someone might actually follow through on that threat, you have to remain vigilant and prepared to do the same thing again. I also cannot stress the importance of reporting to the Police, everything that you recieve as a threat, whether it's written, phone calls, verbal, whatever. This will help cover your butt, should you ever have to smoke another thug monkee relative or fellow gang banger.
    In my LEO years, I recieved lots of threats. Most while working Narcotics, or investigating a major crime. Sure, they would tend to think twice before smoking a cop, but there are some worthless scum out there, who wouldn't think twice.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Just worry about and deal with one threat at a time.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by NMHunter View Post
    I second and resound the Ditto!
    Me too!!!
    MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast