1 permit for all states? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 permit for all states?

1. How about checking out NRA-ILA...

Maryland is about to vote on House Bill HB52 that would permit their first reciprocity.... with PA, NH and VA? (Forget)

Point is that it is a start in the right direction. Take a few minutes and write to all of the reps listed to voice your approval. You can send one email with YOUR email address in the TO: column and all of the reps email addresses in the BCC: column.

I will be clicking my heels if this passes. It adds one more state to those that I can drive through without unholstering. And seems to me that it's MD that has wee spikes that stick out onto the interstates which make you a criminal when you cross them, for 2 minutes or so.

Support the bill and let the reps know you do! I have received two responses already stating that the reps would support the bill (it is going into committee so don't get too excited).

3. Regarding testing for lids, kids and space cadets, felons and whackos... that is my personal desire, having met up with a whacko with a gun not too long ago.

I say start small... mutual reciprocity with some flexibility. We can work on 2A as it arises... it is not inexpensive to challenge the need for permits for concealed carry even if it is the right thing to do.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingoat61 View Post
    Utah is recognized by the most states, around 30ish. Colorado and Florida only recognize the permit from the state you're a resident of.
    Louisiana CCP is honored in 34 states

Quote Originally Posted by williemartin View Post
    I think the issue here is that it would logical. Our wedding licenses are recognized across state lines. The driverís license you get in one state (privilege) is recognized across state lines. The right to keep and bear firearms (right) seems to miss this same level of recognition. Why has this not come up in conversation prior to this? How can we as law abiding citizens elevate this topic?
    I sure like the sound of this. Would it be possible with our current president? What would it take? Quite an uphill battle, what would we need to overcome this?

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I sure like the sound of this. Would it be possible with our current president? What would it take? Quite an uphill battle, what would we need to overcome this?
    Last years vote was only 2 votes shy of being filibuster-proof. Where can we find a list of who voted how?

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Last years vote was only 2 votes shy of being filibuster-proof. Where can we find a list of who voted how?
    Found it. Let the letter writing begin!

Thune-Vitter interstate right to carry reciprocity amendment fails
    National Law & Politics
    Written by Daniel White
    Wednesday, 22 July 2009 11:02

The Thune-Vitter Amendment to add National Reciprocity to the 2010 Defense Programs bill has failed by a vote of 58-39. 60 votes were required for passage.

This amendment would have mandated that all states who issue a license for or otherwise allow their own residents to carry a concealed firearm for personal protection to recognize the concealed carry permits of nonresidents.

Senate vote tally:
    Akaka (D-HI), Nay
    Alexander (R-TN), Yea
    Barrasso (R-WY), Yea
    Baucus (D-MT), Yea
    Bayh (D-IN), Yea
    Begich (D-AK), Yea
    Bennet (D-CO), Yea
    Bennett (R-UT), Yea
    Bingaman (D-NM), Nay
    Bond (R-MO), Yea
    Boxer (D-CA), Nay
    Brown (D-OH), Nay
    Brownback (R-KS), Yea
    Bunning (R-KY), Yea
    Burr (R-NC), Yea
    Burris (D-IL), Nay
    Byrd (D-WV), Not Voting
    Cantwell (D-WA), Nay
    Cardin (D-MD), Nay
    Carper (D-DE), Nay
    Casey (D-PA), Yea
    Chambliss (R-GA), Yea
    Coburn (R-OK), Yea
    Cochran (R-MS), Yea
    Collins (R-ME), Yea
    Conrad (D-ND), Yea
    Corker (R-TN), Yea
    Cornyn (R-TX), Yea
    Crapo (R-ID), Yea
    DeMint (R-SC), Yea
    Dodd (D-CT), Nay
    Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
    Durbin (D-IL), Nay
    Ensign (R-NV), Yea
    Enzi (R-WY), Yea
    Feingold (D-WI), Yea
    Feinstein (D-CA), Nay
    Franken (D-MN), Nay
    Gillibrand (D-NY), Nay
    Graham (R-SC), Yea
    Grassley (R-IA), Yea
    Gregg (R-NH), Yea
    Hagan (D-NC), Yea
    Harkin (D-IA), Nay
    Hatch (R-UT), Yea
    Hutchison (R-TX), Yea
    Inhofe (R-OK), Yea
    Inouye (D-HI), Nay
    Isakson (R-GA), Yea
    Johanns (R-NE), Yea
    Johnson (D-SD), Yea
    Kaufman (D-DE), Nay
    Kennedy (D-MA), Not Voting
    Kerry (D-MA), Nay
    Klobuchar (D-MN), Nay
    Kohl (D-WI), Nay
    Kyl (R-AZ), Yea
    Landrieu (D-LA), Yea
    Lautenberg (D-NJ), Nay
    Leahy (D-VT), Nay
    Levin (D-MI), Nay
    Lieberman (ID-CT), Nay
    Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
    Lugar (R-IN), Nay
    Martinez (R-FL), Yea
    McCain (R-AZ), Yea
    McCaskill (D-MO), Nay
    McConnell (R-KY), Yea
    Menendez (D-NJ), Nay
    Merkley (D-OR), Nay
    Mikulski (D-MD), Not Voting
    Murkowski (R-AK), Yea
    Murray (D-WA), Nay
    Nelson (D-FL), Nay
    Nelson (D-NE), Yea
    Pryor (D-AR), Yea
    Reed (D-RI), Nay
    Reid (D-NV), Yea
    Risch (R-ID), Yea
    Roberts (R-KS), Yea
    Rockefeller (D-WV), Nay
    Sanders (I-VT), Nay
    Schumer (D-NY), Nay
    Sessions (R-AL), Yea
    Shaheen (D-NH), Nay
    Shelby (R-AL), Yea
    Snowe (R-ME), Yea
    Specter (D-PA), Nay
    Stabenow (D-MI), Nay
    Tester (D-MT), Yea
    Thune (R-SD), Yea
    Udall (D-CO), Yea
    Udall (D-NM), Yea
    Vitter (R-LA), Yea
    Voinovich (R-OH), Nay
    Warner (D-VA), Yea
    Webb (D-VA), Yea
    Whitehouse (D-RI), Nay
    Wicker (R-MS), Yea
    Wyden (D-OR), Nay

The last I checked TN's is good in 36 states and they have a law that says they accept any valid carry permit period. If all states would just sign into law that all valid carry permits are good in their state then first step c/w.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

9. There has been a nationwide CCW law on the books for nearly 6 years for a privileged class of citizen. Here is the criteria:

In order to be “a qualified law enforcement officer” under the LEOSA, a person must meet the following requirements:
    1. Be an employee of a governmental agency who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
    2. Have the statutory powers of arrest;
    3. Be authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
    4. Not be the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;
    5. Meet the standards, if any, established by the agency that require employees to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
    6. Not be under the influence of alcohol or any intoxicating or hallucinatory drug;
    7. Not be prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms;
    8. Be carrying photographic identification issued by the governmental agency identifying the individual as a law enforcement officer.

The rich and famous use this to gain CCW rights (think Diane Feinstein who became a US Marshal). CCW information is always available through FOIA requests, but LE records are off limits for obvious reasons. Now, if you were to fulfill the above requirements, and the issuing agency permitted, you would have a 50 state legal CCW permit. How many "reserve" officers (read large campaign donors) are out there simply because they have the monetary means to obtain a special status above and beyond the rest of us ordinary citizens. They are in effect buying their constitutional rights and the rest of us are locked out of this special class of citizens. Don't get me wrong here, LEOs need to be able to defend themselves and their families while off duty. However, who is in more danger: the LEO that arrests the bad guy, or the citizen that takes the stand and testifies against the bad guy? Why is one class of citizen able to defend themselves and another class is not?

Consider this: a very pro 2nd Amend CLEO (city or county) who is willing to hire independent contractors as reserver officers. Background checks are done, CCW courses are taken and passed, arrest powers are given but only in that jurisdiction and only in the presence of a full LEO, be paid $1 per year for services, be authorized to CCW by the issuing agency, and be issued a photo ID (no badge!) with above stipulations outlined on the back of the ID. The independent contractor is now an employee of the agency and fulfills the requirements of LEOSA, thus 50 state CCW applies. We all could then enjoy exactly the same level of constitutional rights as the rest of the citizens of this great nation and be fully within the letter of the law.

10. As far as I'm concerned the 2nd amendment is my concealed weapons permit period.

SC-GA no Recipocity

As resident of SC and with a CCW permit. I had to secure a Fla non-resident permit to carry in Ga. Costly, yes but worth it. Does anyone know why SC and Ga do not have a reciprocity agreement? I've asked our State AG and all I got was check with SLED (SC LAW Enforce Div). Heck all they do is enforce not regulate. Won't get my vote in the election.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast