1 permit for all states? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 permit for all states?

Get a ccw for your state then carry everywhere. When arrested challenge it based on the "full faith and credit" clause.

Full Faith and Credit Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Get a ccw for your state then carry everywhere. When arrested challenge it based on the "full faith and credit" clause.

Full Faith and Credit Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Eventually it will probably come to that. It is a shame that someone has to get arrested to get the Constitution enforced.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Wow! Lots of discussion topics in one discussion thread. The possibility of a Pennsylvania-Maryland reciprocity agreement caught my eye, as did a lot of other comments.
    Living in Pennsylvania, I feel more comfortable with the states calling the shots when constitutionally possible. I say that in response to living in an age where I want the federal government to do less in general, for issues that I support and oppose. ( Hopefully my tax-and-spend governor won't get his wish with taxing candy and feminine products!) I realize that folks in more restrictive states may have differing opinions. Having to work in New Jersey, I realize that being a law abiding citizen there means very little regarding firearms and concealed carry. Looks like the gang problem isn't going away soon!
    I still remember Senator Schumer of New York claiming that the federal reciprocity aggreement infringes on states rights, when just about everything else he does and stands for infringes on states rights. I would be afraid that national reciprocity would be based on who is in power in Washington as opposed to the document that put them in power.
    Like the now defunct campaign finance reform that resulted in the moveon.org political monster, we need to be careful what we wish for, or at least think it all through as clearly as possible.

Living in Pennsylvania, I feel more comfortable with the states calling the shots when constitutionally possible.
    You wouldn't say that if you lived in Kalifornia or as you mention New Jersey. The Constitution is pretty clear in the 2nd Amendment and the SC has been clear in the 14th applying the Bill of Rights to the States.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

I think that if you can pass the checks to own a gun then you should be able to cc it where you want. You have to go through a background check to get a handgun in MI, I don't know about all the states but that should be enough.

I really like what choprzrul said and often questioned how so many rich folks cc allover. Ted Nugent is a reserve leo in his home town in MI (at least was or still is since he moved to Texas) and he cc allover the place. Makes more sense to me now.

Yes but No.

I think that if you can pass the checks to own a gun then you should be able to cc it where you want.
    While I can't totally disagree with you, I question the sensibility or Constitutionality of the checks in the first place. As far as I can find (and as far as the anti-gun CDC could find) none of the laws restricting gun ownership or carry have any effect on crime or violence. If they are worthless, why do we have the expense of them?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

8. Despite my personal objections in this subject I think states must retain soverignty. Less control for the federal government is better for all.

States rights vs Personal Rights

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedDevilDogSoldier View Post
    Despite my personal objections in this subject I think states must retain soverignty. Less control for the federal government is better for all.
    I have to completely disagree when it comes to the Rights as outlined in the Bill of Rights. They do not remain Rights if they can be imposed upon by the States (or the cities). I believe the 14th Amendment as interpreted to apply the Bill of Rights to the States is an immensely good thing.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

10. Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I have to completely disagree when it comes to the Rights as outlined in the Bill of Rights. They do not remain Rights if they can be imposed upon by the States (or the cities). I believe the 14th Amendment as interpreted to apply the Bill of Rights to the States is an immensely good thing.
    Agreed (thus my "personal objections"). I don't want any entity to have the authority to say when, how, and where I'm allowed to protect my family or my self... Especially the federal gov't. But until we get back to that, the Fed needs to stay the heck out. I think a "one permit for all states" = "more money required to run this system" and "we can't register their weapons, but we can register them", is an immensely bad thing.

They're only rights if you can exercise them without paying a tax or asking permission. The way to find out if anything is a right is to do it and then take it all the way to the Supreme Court when arrested.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast