1 permit for all states?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 permit for all states?

1 permit for all states?

Is there a permit from a state that is honored by all others?
    I know that WI CA ILL are communist and they don't allow CC.

my MI permit is honored by a lot but a lot of states on the east coast say no.

sorry the only thing you could do to gain all the states is start collecting non resident permits and even then I think your gonna be shy a few. If all states were like TN then we would be good TN accepts all carry permits just like driver licenses.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

no .... but i would support that notion.

Utah is recognized by the most states, around 30ish. Colorado and Florida only recognize the permit from the state you're a resident of.

6. The problem that stops that from happening is there's no national standard and ,unless the Federal Government steps in, there never will be.

Each state makes it's own decision as to if and when they issue concealed carry permits and (if they do) what the qualifications are. Most states have state wide standards, you have to do X many hours of class time and fire Y many rounds over their course of fire after getting fingerprinted and background checked.

However, Alabama, where I live, doesn't have a state wide standard. It is left up to the highest ranking LEO in the county (sheriff or chief of police if the county and a city have been incorporated) to decide what the requirements are, the availability (Alabama is technically a 'may issue' state but is 'shall issue' in practice) and even the cost of the permit. From what I've heard, the original thought process behind the law was that the local Head LEO would be in a better position to know who was the troublemakers in the area. That means you theoretically have 67 different sets of requirements, one for each county. This lack of a state wide standard causes issues with other states recognizing Alabama permits. Considering where the states are-with the exception of New Mexico- I seriously doubt I'll ever have the issue arise in my travels.

Texas' CHL is good in 32 states, if you are a resident.

I agree, to make a CHL good in each state (like a DL) the Feds will probably have to do it.

jtg, Iowa is apparently similar to Alabama on permits to carry. Each county sheriff (99 counties in Iowa) make the sole decision to issue at all or who should be issued a permit. And Iowa does not recognize any other states permits. They are working to get that changed, however. I hope they get it done!! I have family there I visit a couple times a year.

Yes, it's called the 2nd amendment but you'll have to be willing to face jail and/or bankruptcy as you take it all the way to the Suprememe Court. Take one for the team.

The only issue with a national issue permit is it would have to be governed by Federal Law. Being that, if you got denied in ANY of the states to carry, even if for something stupid, you would likely be banned from carry/application in ALL states... This was one of the issues that came up a few years back when it was being pursued...

If states could just all get along and accept reciprocity from any other state, that would be good...

Or even a council for CCW that allows all the states to agree on training/issue requirements.
    " I carry a gun because cops are too heavy" ~ Unknown

10. Quote Originally Posted by mikeintexas View Post
    Texas' CHL is good in 32 states, if you are a resident.

I agree, to make a CHL good in each state (like a DL) the Feds will probably have to do it.

jtg, Iowa is apparently similar to Alabama on permits to carry. Each county sheriff (99 counties in Iowa) make the sole decision to issue at all or who should be issued a permit. And Iowa does not recognize any other states permits. They are working to get that changed, however. I hope they get it done!! I have family there I visit a couple times a year.
    In Alabama, not only does the sheriff have the right to decide if he wants to issue permits and to whom, but he has the right to set the price of the permit and what background and legal hoops you have to go through to get it. In my home county, I pay $20 a year (it used to be $15 a year but I think the Sheriff got tired of having to keep change for a $20 on hand) for my permit and all that is required is a background check. No fingerprints, no written test, no live fire test.

The background check has been known to be waived if you have a LEO vouching for you. That's what happened to me when I got mine. I cut one of the senior deputies mother's grass for several years when I was growing up and worked with his wife, so I got to know him. He walked up while I was filling out the application, pulled it out from underneath my pen and told the person that handled the permits to give it to me. I never even signed the application.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    The problem that stops that from happening is there's no national standard and ,unless the Federal Government steps in, there never will be.

Each state makes it's own decision as to if and when they issue concealed carry permits and (if they do) what the qualifications are. Most states have state wide standards, you have to do X many hours of class time and fire Y many rounds over their course of fire after getting fingerprinted and background checked.

However, Alabama, where I live, doesn't have a state wide standard. It is left up to the highest ranking LEO in the county (sheriff or chief of police if the county and a city have been incorporated) to decide what the requirements are, the availability (Alabama is technically a 'may issue' state but is 'shall issue' in practice) and even the cost of the permit. From what I've heard, the original thought process behind the law was that the local Head LEO would be in a better position to know who was the troublemakers in the area. That means you theoretically have 67 different sets of requirements, one for each county. This lack of a state wide standard causes issues with other states recognizing Alabama permits. Considering where the states are-with the exception of New Mexico- I seriously doubt I'll ever have the issue arise in my travels.
    The standard should be that you are not prohibited from owning a gun. Every drivers license, no matter from what state, is recognized by every other state. It is as I understand, protected under the Constitution. So it seems pretty clear that the same is true of a Carry Permit since the Right to keep and bear arms is protected under the Constitution. Our politicians have chosen to ignore the Constitution in a lot of ways, particularly the 2nd Amendment. It's time to restore the Constitution to the Supreme Law of the Nation.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast