Colt or Glock? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt or Glock?

Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    I called the one local indoor range that has a G30 to rent, and it'll run me about $70 to rent one for an hour. That includes the range fees, rental buying their ammo and the second person they require to rent a handgun. Why the second person you ask? As I was told, it's in case you're not familiar with guns, so you don't hurt yourself. I told the kid that I'd managed not to shoot myself in the last 40 years, but their store their rules. So my wife will go and practice with her PT111, while I try out the Glock.
    The public indoor range around here rents handguns for $10/hr, range fee of $17/hr, and you have to buy their ammo. You only need a certified instructor if you don't already have a handgun permit.

[QUOTE=Glock Fan;109164]My recommendation would depend on the purpose of the firearm. Both companies make an excellent firearm, and have proven track records. If you're looking for a primary carry firearm, I'd recommend the Glock. Maintenance is a lot less, the firearm is lighter, higher ammo capacity and initial cost of the firearm is less. Keep in mind that if you should ever need use your firearm for SD, the police will probably be taking the firearm for an extended period of time. Depending on the laws of the state that you are in (keep in mind you may be traveling at the time), you might not get that firearm back. Being that both firearms are excellent choices for SD, would you prefer the police hold on to your $600 firearm or your $1,000 firearm?

Ultimately, the choice is up to the individual carrying the firearm. Good luck, hope I've been able to help you with your decision.

gf[/QUOTE. I for one pray I never have to use my carry firearm against another human. I would never even dream of using your criteria of possible forfeiture into my decision of which firearm to purchase. Glockfan, how many people on this board have actually dropped the hammer on another person? Very few, if any. If I have to use my firearm, it would be irrelevant if it cost $100. or $3,000. My life is worth the difference between brand A, or brand B. I will be more worried about losing more then my pistol.

4. Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    I called the one local indoor range that has a G30 to rent, and it'll run me about $70 to rent one for an hour. That includes the range fees, rental buying their ammo and the second person they require to rent a handgun. Why the second person you ask? As I was told, it's in case you're not familiar with guns, so you don't hurt yourself. I told the kid that I'd managed not to shoot myself in the last 40 years, but their store their rules. So my wife will go and practice with her PT111, while I try out the Glock.
    The gun you choose is a very personal decision. You are on the right track to try them both. I also think you need to find another range that offeres a more realistic price and rules. I see the standard rental as being $10.00 and range at $10.00 for 1/2 hour and $15.00 for 1 hour. The difference in the price your range is charging will go a long ways on purchasing your gun or extra ammo.

Best regards,
    Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

5. This is the fee schedule of the place I called about renting a G30, so by the time you add a box of .45s to the list it's in the $70 dollar range. Unless we go on Wed night, and ladies get in free.

Bullseye Indoor Shooting Range
    Lane Rental $20
    Each Additional Shooter $12
    Firearm Rental $18

Ladies are exempt from lane and firearm rental fees during our Wednesday’s Ladies’ Night.

Bullseye offers an annual membership package to the avid shooter. Membership will allow you to use our lanes and firearm rentals at no charge. You also get the added benefit of using our on-site cleaning room. Memberships are available for both individuals and families.

* Must be at least 7 years old to use our range, and everyone seventeen and under is required to be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian.
    * To rent our firearms you must bring your own firearm or come with a friend.
    (This doesn't make much sense to me)

A sample of some of the firearms that you can rent:

Semi-Automatic Pistols
    Revolvers

* Browning Buckmark .22 cal
    * Glock 17 9mm
    * Glock 19 9mm
    * Glock 20 10mm
    * Glock 21 .45 acp
    * Glock 21SF .45 acp
    * Glock 22 .40 cal
    * Glock 23 .40 cal
    * Glock 23 Compensated .40 cal
    * Glock 26 9mm
    * Glock 27 .40 cal
    * Glock 30 .45 acp
    * Glock 34 9mm
    * Glock 35 .40 cal
    * Glock 36 .45 acp
    * Heckler & Koch P2000 9mm
    * Heckler & Koch USP .40 cal Compact
    * Heckler & Koch USP .40 cal Full Size
    * Heckler & Koch USP .45 acp Compact
    * Heckler & Koch USP 9mm Compact
    * Heckler & Koch USP 9mm Full Size
    * Kimber CDP II
    * Kimber Custom II

* Ruger Mk II .22 cal
    * Ruger Mk III .22 cal
    * Sig Sauer GSR 1911
    * Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 cal
    * Sig Sauer P220 .45 acp
    * Sig Sauer P226 .40 cal
    * Sig Sauer P226 9mml
    * Sig Sauer P229 .40 cal
    * Sig Sauer P232 .380
    * Sig Sauer P239 9mm
    * Sig Sauer P250 9mm
    * Smith & Wesson 1911
    * Smith & Wesson M&P .40 cal
    * Springfield XD 40 Compact
    * Springfield XD 40 Sub Compact
    * Springfield XD 40 Tactical
    * Springfield XD 45 Compact
    * Springfield XD 45 Tactical
    * Springfield XD 9 Compact
    * Springfield XD 9 Tactical
    * Walther P22 .22 cal
    * Wilson Combat Tactical Elite 1911

* Ruger GP100 .357
    * Ruger SP101 .357
    * Smith & Wesson 60-15 .357
    * Smith & Wesson 640 .357
    * Smith & Wesson 686 .357
    * Smith & Wesson Air Lite .22 cal
    * Smith & Wesson CTG .22 cal
    * Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 cal

Rifles & Shotguns

* Heckler & Koch USC .45
    * Remington 870 20ga
    * Remington 870 12ga
    * Ruger 10/22 .22 cal

"* To rent our firearms you must bring your own firearm or come with a friend.
    (This doesn't make much sense to me)"
    Makes sense to me. If you bring a firearm, odds are you have passed a background check and mostly likely are legally allowed to hold a firearm.

There is a gun range here, where twice, someone has rented a pistol, and have used it for suicide purposes.

The rule probably will keep away the criminals, and those who are wack-a-doo.

Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    Thanks for all the input. There are a couple of places nearby that rent guns, so I think I'll call and see if they have a G30 to try out.It'd be worth the $20-30 to rent one to see how it shoots. I'd hate to buy a pistol and then find out that I don't like the way it handles.

John
    I was surprised to learn yesterday that the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas on Hwy 160 does not rent their pistols, even for use in their own indoor range. I am considering the purchase of another .45 or .9, something that would be a lighter weight pistol to carry other than my Colt 1911 .45 or Beretta .9. I don't even know if this is a local practice, but can anyone advise us if there are any reputable establishments, ranges, in the area that allow customers to rent/shoot pistols before purchasing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    I'm a 1911 guy, so you know where my vote goes.

Defender is one nice little .45 ACP 1911. Good repuatation and good reviews, thus far.
    I like your "E-Harmony Reject" saying. A little more than 2 years ago, my husband and I met through an online dating service at [email protected]. It wasn't very long ago that I heard tons of comments like, "There are only perverts and criminals like child molesters online." Not true! There are lots of good people online. Lots of good people in here and in lots of other groups I belong to.

9. I would ask them if you get your gun rental fee back if you purchase one from them after the demo. My dealer with an indoor range will discount your purchase with whatever you paid out in rental as well as give you a couple of 1 hour range passes.
    Jason
    Michigan

10. Here are a couple, I haven't been to either one so can't tell you anything about what they offer ....

The Gun Store | Gun Rental

Rentals

[quote=theicemanmpls;115277]
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    My recommendation would depend on the purpose of the firearm. Both companies make an excellent firearm, and have proven track records. If you're looking for a primary carry firearm, I'd recommend the Glock. Maintenance is a lot less, the firearm is lighter, higher ammo capacity and initial cost of the firearm is less. Keep in mind that if you should ever need use your firearm for SD, the police will probably be taking the firearm for an extended period of time. Depending on the laws of the state that you are in (keep in mind you may be traveling at the time), you might not get that firearm back. Being that both firearms are excellent choices for SD, would you prefer the police hold on to your $600 firearm or your $1,000 firearm?

Ultimately, the choice is up to the individual carrying the firearm. Good luck, hope I've been able to help you with your decision.

gf[/QUOTE. I for one pray I never have to use my carry firearm against another human. I would never even dream of using your criteria of possible forfeiture into my decision of which firearm to purchase. Glockfan, how many people on this board have actually dropped the hammer on another person? Very few, if any. If I have to use my firearm, it would be irrelevant if it cost $100. or $3,000. My life is worth the difference between brand A, or brand B. I will be more worried about losing more then my pistol.

To put it another way, for the price of a $1,200 high end 1911, I could purchase 2 Glock pistols. While the police are holding the pistol that was used to save my life, I will still have another one to defend myself. If you only have 1 SD gun, and it's put out of service for whatever reason (recall, repair, used for SD, etc.), you are left unarmed.

Taking another life is serious business. Cost of the firearm was only relevant in that you will be unarmed while the police and prosecutor decide if you're going to get your gun back.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast