Colt or Glock? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Colt or Glock?

That Glock is very fat and heavy. Go with the Colt. Or buy both.

For the same price as a Colt I would buy 2 Glocks and a bunch of ammo.
    Never had to use my gun, never want to use my gun, will not hesitate to use my gun.

4. I like all metal guns, not ones that are partially plastic (polymer).

Ken

Colt or Glock?

I choose Glock given the capacity, ability to shoot anything, ease of use, reliability, accuracy out of the box, simplicity and versatility. Pound for pound with the lower cost, it's hard to choose others - except for the SA XD series.

Colts are excellent, too. They are slim, accurate and reliable.
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

I alternate between a G26 and a Colt Night Defender...and have just added a Para Ordnance Warthog to the mix. All three have been flawless. Guess you pays yer money and takes yer chances; if everybody liked the same thing, we'd have nothing to eat but vanilla ice cream.

I have a G-21, G36, and G27, I rotate carrying the 27 and 36, trying get the mrs to carry one, she carrys a Taurus 709, the Colts and some of the other 1911s look nice, and would not mind haveing one, but IMHO are no better a pistol than the Glocks, as far as a dependable carry weapon, and the best part is you can buy two Glocks and some ammo for what a run of the mill Kimber cost's

8. deleted

Looks like this has been beat to death, but as the question was about a choice between a Colt and a Glock, my answer is, barring either firearm feeling decidedly better in your own hand, buy the Colt and never look back. Do not let price be your guide, as you will never regret saving up a bit more to purchase a quality product.

As for all the other banter on other available brands, here I go into the line of fire. I have had the opportunity to handle, fire or observe most of the brands mentioned. While you should never condemn a particular brand or model based on just one incident, I will give a few examples of past experiences.

I have never seen a Colt 1911, (nor any quality clones) malfunction. I did spend the better part of an afternoon attempting to get a student's foreign-made 1911 to function, only to give up. It was an older gun made up of mostly Brazilian parts, and we never did get it to function reliably.

I also spent a bit of time attempting to get my brother-in-law's Taurus PT145 to function. It ended up being traded for a Springfield Armory 1911 compact. Again, that was just that one particular gun, but I have had several Taurus semi-autos come through my classes that did not function 100% reliably.

I won't bother speaking on the Bryco / Jennings guns. Everybody here alredy knows of the problems associated with them. As for High-Point, well...I know they have improved their quality, and they have a good warranty, but we have had so many High-Points fail in class it has become a bit of a standing joke. So far the highest number is three different High-Points failing to function in one class.

And Glocks, well I just don't personally like them. They do not feel right in my hand, but that is me. They may feel great in your mit and if so, be happy with one. They are obviously very popular in the law enforcement community, but that is due to superior marketing. I carry a Model 22 on duty because that is what the state bought and they pay me to carry it. The Glocks that hace come hrough my classes have all worked as intended. But I have suffered only one catastrophic failure in 40 plus years of shooting handguns and it was.......a Glock. So, possibly that incident has jaded me a bit as well.

The few Springfield XDm's I have fired felt good and shot well. The trigger pull will rival that of my Para Ordnance P-14 LDA. But I won't be trading.

Hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers or muddied up the waters significantly. As with most things in life, my opinions and results may vary from yours, and are merely a reflection of my experiences.
    Life Member NRA
    CCW / Firearms Instructor
    Happily annoying Liberals since 1976.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dave View Post
    Looks like this has been beat to death, but as the question was about a choice between a Colt and a Glock, my answer is, barring either firearm feeling decidedly better in your own hand, buy the Colt and never look back. Do not let price be your guide, as you will never regret saving up a bit more to purchase a quality product.

As for all the other banter on other available brands, here I go into the line of fire. I have had the opportunity to handle, fire or observe most of the brands mentioned. While you should never condemn a particular brand or model based on just one incident, I will give a few examples of past experiences.

I have never seen a Colt 1911, (nor any quality clones) malfunction. I did spend the better part of an afternoon attempting to get a student's foreign-made 1911 to function, only to give up. It was an older gun made up of mostly Brazilian parts, and we never did get it to function reliably.

I also spent a bit of time attempting to get my brother-in-law's Taurus PT145 to function. It ended up being traded for a Springfield Armory 1911 compact. Again, that was just that one particular gun, but I have had several Taurus semi-autos come through my classes that did not function 100% reliably.

I won't bother speaking on the Bryco / Jennings guns. Everybody here alredy knows of the problems associated with them. As for High-Point, well...I know they have improved their quality, and they have a good warranty, but we have had so many High-Points fail in class it has become a bit of a standing joke. So far the highest number is three different High-Points failing to function in one class.

And Glocks, well I just don't personally like them. They do not feel right in my hand, but that is me. They may feel great in your mit and if so, be happy with one. They are obviously very popular in the law enforcement community, but that is due to superior marketing. I carry a Model 22 on duty because that is what the state bought and they pay me to carry it. The Glocks that hace come hrough my classes have all worked as intended. But I have suffered only one catastrophic failure in 40 plus years of shooting handguns and it was.......a Glock. So, possibly that incident has jaded me a bit as well.

The few Springfield XDm's I have fired felt good and shot well. The trigger pull will rival that of my Para Ordnance P-14 LDA. But I won't be trading.

Hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers or muddied up the waters significantly. As with most things in life, my opinions and results may vary from yours, and are merely a reflection of my experiences.
    Wow I hated Glocks when they first came out and was a die hard 1911 45 ACP guy.When I became a police officer I was only allowed to carry a G19.As time goes by to be honest the 1911 was a finicky gun with hollowpoints truth be told.From countless documented shootings with the 45 ACP over that time period in LE I have changed my thoughts and now favor a Glock in 9mm,40,10,357,45.In the line of duty the service 9mm +P+ Hydra Shok & Winchester SXT +P has performed very well.Marketing or price but Glocks are very popular and now have a proven track record.S&W third generation guns were popular with NYPD but most of the cops choose the Glock because it was easier to shoot, maintain & clean.The Sig 226 is a fine weapon and would not hesitate to carry off duty.The Glock is just a more reliable gun than any of the 1911 guns.I would rather have 16 rounds of +P 9mm hollowpoints than 8 shots from the 1911.I am sure you know the off duty Ogden cop failed to fire his gun because of his 1911 weapon only had 7 shots and was worried he would run out of ammo.I believe he was not trained properly in the first place to be carrying that 1911.If he was he would have possibly taken out that active shooter.It comes down to training, the 45 ACP is a good round and would not hesitate to use the Glock 21 or 30.

Glock 19 for concealed carry. Works for ME. Shoot both and see which fits your hand. Carry each for a day. I wanted something totally reliable and lightweight. Glock fits my gorilla hands perfectly.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast