Colt or Glock? - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Colt or Glock?

JSDinTexas Guest
    I have and use a Glock - I am still alive

It’s amazing. I have never owned a Glock, have never fired one, and (until recently) believed that I never would own one. Why? I cannot give you any specifics, other than most of the shooters that I used to be around had a bias against them. What is surprising is that probably most of them, like me, have never even fired one.

I was looking at some during a recent gun show; my objective was to buy a used one (cheap) so that I could answer for myself what I really thought of them (I did not purchase one).

I have a few questions for experienced Glock owners and buyers. I was looking for a 40 cal or a 45 (BTW, is the 45 only in 45 Glock, or do they also sell 45 ACP Glocks?), and saw a few that were priced at around $500. I have also seen ads recently for the “Gen 4Glock”.

What are the differences between the Gen 4 and an average used model (other than wear and tear of course)? And what is a decent price for a used one, or are the changes in the Gen 4 significant enough to warrant bypassing the thought of purchasing a used one? Other than the MSRP on a Gen 4, what could/would one expect to pay for a Gen 4 40 Cal or 45(Glock or ACP)?
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

I've never been a huge Glock fan so if the choice is between those two I'd vote Colt..

I was lucky enough to come across a Colt Officer's (trade) earlier this year and I fell in love with it.

I do own a pair of striker fired pistols and have love for those as well. Smith&Wesson M&Ps.

Beautiful work of art...

The Officer's ACP..

You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I own 2 glocks, but the colt is a very nice looking weapon. I would like to own one someday.

Colt 1911 of the two. .45 Hornady Critical Defense FTX bullet works fine in our Colts and the S&W 645. None of them have choked on the Federal Hydra-Shoks either.

I own 4 Glocks, G-26, 27, 36, and a 21, main carry is the 27 compact 40, but do switch out with the 36, that being said I have nothing at all against the Colt, would like to own a nice 1911 one day, but the truth is you can just about buy 2 Glocks for what one pretty Colt cost's, I also have shot many Colts, and gun for gun unless you have some sort of personal problem against one or the other, the Colt and Glock shoot about the same, provided its a like configured gun, meaning long barrel against long barrel, and short against short, other than that I agree the Glock is not much to look at, but its a fair bet it will go bang when you pull the trigger, whenever that may be, even if it has been parked in a drawer or glove box for a year, not that anyone on this board is lacking in gun maintainance LOL, but I have never seen a pistol any more forgiving to the lack of of cleaning, you could toss a glock in a bucket of sand pick it up and it would fire, soak it in a bucket of water for a week reach in the bucket and it would fire, i don't think a Colt is that dependable, it may be, and I'm sure some members will say so, but i would like to see them toss there $1000 dollar Colt in a pile of sand or bucket of water,

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Keep in mind that if you should ever need use your firearm for SD, the police will probably be taking the firearm for an extended period of time. Depending on the laws of the state that you are in (keep in mind you may be traveling at the time), you might not get that firearm back. Being that both firearms are excellent choices for SD, would you prefer the police hold on to your $600 firearm or your $1,000 firearm?
    gf
    The $400 dollar difference between handguns should never enter into the argument of which would you rather lose if your gun is entered into evidence in the investigation and litigation. I also don't buy into that adage that one should buy two of their handgun of choice so that when the first one goes in an evidence bag, you'll have another just like it. Carry what you're comfortable carrying. Practice with it in an IDPA like scenario based club. Practice avoidance of situations where you need to defend yourself, and in the event that the firearm is bagged and tagged, that $1000 will be the last thing on your mind as you prepare to defend yourself against the onslaught of prosecuting attorneys and civil liability lawsuits.

9. I have to weigh in, if only to just blab a bit.

I have owned a Colt Combat Commander, and after a $300 trip to the gunsmith it was a great gun. Fantastic. Before the smith it was a $700 paperweight with everything except FMJ, and even then only a couple of brands. Not a bad thing necessarily, just the facts. I loved that gun though.

My personal carry gun is a Glock 23. The only mod it has had is I installed a slightly extended mag release. It has, so far, been perfect with everything I've fired through it, as expected of any Glock. It's a gun that works out of the box.

The best example of astounding reliability has to go to my work gun, an HK USP Compact .40 with the LEM trigger. We were issued these out of the box. I and the rest of my class proceeded to put 1200 rounds through our guns in 4 and 1/2 days with NO CLEANING at all. Intentionally. This was not just range slow fire either, the guns were fired all over the place: off-handed bent elbow, upside down while the shooter was twisted around in a seat, rapid-fire etc... Out of the 15 guys I was with there was not one malfunction of any type. I was beyond impressed. I have access to this gun at a heavy discount and haven't purchased it, but the reason is only that I have a hard time concealing it and, frankly, I don't shoot it as well as the Glocks. Anyway, the point was I have to wonder if you could do the same with an out-of-the-box Colt (with duty ammo, not ball). Maybe you could.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

I also have a colt Defender; it is a great gun. Did you know that it has a recall notice out on it? An issue that can be easily corrected I have read (I have not had mine fixed yet).
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

Quote Originally Posted by bae125 View Post
    I have to weigh in, if only to just blab a bit.

I have owned a Colt Combat Commander, and after a $300 trip to the gunsmith it was a great gun. Fantastic. Before the smith it was a $700 paperweight with everything except FMJ, and even then only a couple of brands. Not a bad thing necessarily, just the facts. I loved that gun though.

My personal carry gun is a Glock 23. The only mod it has had is I installed a slightly extended mag release. It has, so far, been perfect with everything I've fired through it, as expected of any Glock. It's a gun that works out of the box.

The best example of astounding reliability has to go to my work gun, an HK USP Compact .40 with the LEM trigger. We were issued these out of the box. I and the rest of my class proceeded to put 1200 rounds through our guns in 4 and 1/2 days with NO CLEANING at all. Intentionally. This was not just range slow fire either, the guns were fired all over the place: off-handed bent elbow, upside down while the shooter was twisted around in a seat, rapid-fire etc... Out of the 15 guys I was with there was not one malfunction of any type. I was beyond impressed. I have access to this gun at a heavy discount and haven't purchased it, but the reason is only that I have a hard time concealing it and, frankly, I don't shoot it as well as the Glocks. Anyway, the point was I have to wonder if you could do the same with an out-of-the-box Colt (with duty ammo, not ball). Maybe you could.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
    Air Marshall?

The best mass example of astounding reliability I know of are the thousands of Glocks that shoot millions of rounds with no cleaning and no malfunctions. :-)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast