Colt or Glock?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt or Glock?

1. Question Colt or Glock?

I'm looking for a smaller carry gun than my Govt model, and was thinking a Colt Defender. I happened to be at Bass Pro Shop the other day and noticed a Glock 30 that I liked the fit of, and the fact that it holds 10 rounds.
    It also seems that the Glocks are easier to find, not to mention a few hundred cheaper.
    I've been a Colt fan for 30+ years, but if I can't find a small Colt .45 at a reasonable price, the Glock seems like a good choice also.
    Any thoughts on either one of these, good, bad, indifferent? Looking to buy in the next 2-3 months.

Thanks,
    John

I just changed from a Glock 21 to a Kahr P45. The Kahr is slimmer than a Glock 9 or 40 and has 7 45s lined up. It's a lot lighter, too.

I own a Glock. They are fine guns. Colt also makes fine guns. The main difference for me is I do not care much for single action pistols. That for me would be the main deciding factor.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

5. I have both makes, glock 29 and 36, and a colt 1911 Govt model. I do favor and carry my Glocks, the glock 36 is a comfortable carry... shoulder, hip, IWB, or ankle. Good luck with your choice.

I carry a Colt defender daily and have shot well over 1500 rounds of self defense ammo thru it with never a hiccup. I trust it completely

Quote Originally Posted by bronco View Post
    I'm looking for a smaller carry gun than my Govt model, and was thinking a Colt Defender. I happened to be at Bass Pro Shop the other day and noticed a Glock 30 that I liked the fit of, and the fact that it holds 10 rounds.
    It also seems that the Glocks are easier to find, not to mention a few hundred cheaper.
    I've been a Colt fan for 30+ years, but if I can't find a small Colt .45 at a reasonable price, the Glock seems like a good choice also.
    Any thoughts on either one of these, good, bad, indifferent? Looking to buy in the next 2-3 months.

Thanks,
    John

My recommendation would depend on the purpose of the firearm. Both companies make an excellent firearm, and have proven track records. If you're looking for a primary carry firearm, I'd recommend the Glock. Maintenance is a lot less, the firearm is lighter, higher ammo capacity and initial cost of the firearm is less. Keep in mind that if you should ever need use your firearm for SD, the police will probably be taking the firearm for an extended period of time. Depending on the laws of the state that you are in (keep in mind you may be traveling at the time), you might not get that firearm back. Being that both firearms are excellent choices for SD, would you prefer the police hold on to your $600 firearm or your $1,000 firearm?

Ultimately, the choice is up to the individual carrying the firearm. Good luck, hope I've been able to help you with your decision.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

8. Do take a look at the Kahr 45s. They are awesome. That being said, I carry a Glock just as much as I do my Kahr, and I'm dying for (but can't afford) a Kimber CDP Pro. I know, adult A-D-D...
    -Kevin

9. P.S. - Concerning the Kahr pistols- grip angle is much closer to a 1911 than Glock. This could be an issue in transitional training.
    -Kevin

10. Thanks for all the input. There are a couple of places nearby that rent guns, so I think I'll call and see if they have a G30 to try out.It'd be worth the $20-30 to rent one to see how it shoots. I'd hate to buy a pistol and then find out that I don't like the way it handles.

John

Grip may be an issue but since I shoot Glock, Colt (1911), XDM, SIG, and single and double action revolvers it wasn't noticed.
    I do have to contend with that when working with others and should have remembered.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast