Somewhat complicated CCW Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhat complicated CCW Question

1. Somewhat complicated CCW Question

Hi all - brand new to the site, though I've been a lurker for quite a bit. Glad to be here!

Here's my question:
    Let's say that I am an NC resident, and possess an NC CCW. I also have a PA Non-Resident CCW. Firstly, if I move to New Jersey, will my NC permit still be good until it expires? (I'm guessing not, but some states, such as WY, do it that way). Secondly, and probably more complicated - would my PA permit still be valid?
    I know, it sounds like a pain. Basically, I love my NC CCW (lots of reciprocity) but will probably end up having to move to NJ, where I understand that it's pretty much impossible to obtain a permit. I want to maintain some way of legally carrying concealed in other states once I move to NJ.

Hopefully that's clear enough - I'd appreciate any input people may have. (And "Don't move to New Jersey!" is an obvious bit of advice, I know, but I might not be able to avoid it )
    Tim

Your PA LTCF is good until it expires or is revoked. I dont see anything in NC statutes that invalidates the NC CHP on moving out of state.

The issue comes on renewal of both. NC does NOT issue to non-residents, and PA will only issue if you have one from your home state...and NJ doesnt issue.

So you are going to need to get UT or FL.

and with that said your PA or NC...FL or UT...none of those will allow you to carry in NJ.

Why would anyone in their right mind who has a CCW move to New Jersey, Wisconsin, Illininois, etc.? Good God, man!

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Why would anyone in their right mind who has a CCW move to New Jersey, Wisconsin, Illininois, etc.? Good God, man!
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree here. I can imagine no scenario that would convince me to live there. I don't even like to pass through. The state pretty much just sucks.

Sorry, I got carried away.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Dude there is a section of this site that shows / explains all this .... hint ..... it looks like a map of the USA

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree here. I can imagine no scenario that would convince me to live there. I don't even like to pass through. The state pretty much just sucks.

I agree .....

Great signature line by the way !

Because their lives are not complicated enough???
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

uh, insanity?

10. Thanks for all the input guys.. looking at it, I guess my concern is having a LEO look at my permit(s) and him wondering why the address on the permits (which would be in NC) does not match my license (which would be in NJ) - has anyone had any experience with that sort of thing?

You Can Apply for and get a Non-Resident FLORIDA Permit very easy. That allows Carry in Many States...Not as many as if it was a Resident Permit, But enough..and Better than Nothing...
    Everyone should Move to vermont or Alaska!

God Bless and Stay Safe, CAPTAIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast