adding same make, model and caliber guns to existing NV permit ??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adding same make, model and caliber guns to existing NV permit ??

1. adding same make, model and caliber guns to existing NV permit ??

First and foremost, I am a nevada resident, living in clark county and I have a current CC permit. I understand that Nevada's CC permit law requires that each semi-auto pistol that you want to carry, must be qualified with at the range and are listed on the CC permit by MAKE, MODEL AND CALIBER (revolvers are generic and qualifiying with only 1 revolver allows you to carry any revolver).

I currently have several pistols on my permit, one of which being a Sig P220 Combat (full size) .45 caliber. Almost a year later, I am now wanting to add ANOTHER pistol to my permit, which also happens to be a Sig P220 in .45 caliber, but is this one is the COMPACT model. This p220 compact of course is made by the same exact company and is the same exact model and caliber. The only difference of course is that it is a COMPACT model. My question is this......Does anyone living in Nevada with a CC permit, know for sure if I would still have to qualify with this pistol and go through the process of adding it to my permit even though the make, model and caliber are the same OR....would I NOT have to go through this since this new gun is exactly the sameas my p220 combat, except for the smaller frame size? Thanks for the help!

Seems to me that the serial number for each pistol listed on your permit was written down on the permit paperwork that my instructor had me fill out and take to the Sheriff or local peace officer for processing. So, even though the make, model, or caliber might be the same, or similar, or whatever, there might be a fine line to make a case that you would be carrying illegally because it really is not the exact same firearm. To be safe, call your instructor, or the LEO, and make sure you do it the right way, what ever way that may be. I believe the fee to the government to add another pistol is minimal. I don't know what the instructor might charge.

I think Nye County was the only one putting a serial number on the qualification sheet and they've since stopped due to complaints about "gun registration". You still need to check though because I think barrel length was on the paper as well.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

I believe you're fine. Sig 220 45 should be sufficient for both guns. I had a Taurus 24/7 std., a 24/7 Compact and a 24/7 OSS all in 9mm. I only had to shoot 1 and the instructor said Taurus 24/7, 9mm as listed on my gun file sheet would cover any of them. Might not hurt to check with the sheriff on this where you live though. Serial idendification is not supposed to be listed for qualification as that would amount to a form of registration which may only be required in Clark Co. Even there, while you might have to register it you shouldn't have to re-qualify, but then again that's Las Vegas.

Good Luck!!!
    Good Luck!!!
    John
    http://www.packing4life.com

6. Thanks for the replies guys.......Well, I did end up talking to a CCW instructor yesterday and he did confirm to me that I would be ok carrying a p220 compact, should I purchase one, WITHOUT having to qualify with it and fill out extra paperwork to add it. Reason being......he stated NV permits nolonger require the serial number for each weapon you qualify with and that the "powers that be" now only care about the make, model and caliber and this is all he has to fill out out on the paperwork now. The instructor further stated that even though I had to list all of the serial numbers of the weapons that I qualified with over a year ago and were submitted to LVMPD here in Vegas at that time, it no longer applies since they no longer require it. As long as your current permit ONLY lists on the back, the make, model # and caliber of your weapons and not a serial number, you may carry a similar weapon (smaller frame, barrel, diff. finish, or what ever the difference is) as long as the new gun is the same make, model # and caliber as whats already listed (for Nevada anyways). Sounds like I'm good to go then.

7. For those reading this thread keep in mind that only if you are in Clark County do you have to register your firearm with the local Sheriff IF YOU ARE A 60 DAY RESIDENT.

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that if you travel to Nevada and get a non-res permit to conceal carry you do not have to register your firearms unless you are in Clarke County in excess of sixty days as a resident.

I stay in Clarke County, depart for a few days to LA and return. Am I considered a resident?

Quote Originally Posted by torontogunguy View Post
    For those reading this thread keep in mind that only if you are in Clark County do you have to register your firearm with the local Sheriff IF YOU ARE A 60 DAY RESIDENT.

It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that if you travel to Nevada and get a non-res permit to conceal carry you do not have to register your firearms unless you are in Clarke County in excess of sixty days as a resident.

I stay in Clarke County, depart for a few days to LA and return. Am I considered a resident?
    To determine residence might depend solely on what address is on your driver's license or where you spend the most time so maybe a utility bill would suffice. Seems to me that we discussed this a while back. I tried a search of the archives but came up empty. It's a good question, tho!

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Seems to me that the serial number for each pistol listed on your permit was written down on the permit paperwork that my instructor had me fill out and take to the Sheriff or local peace officer for processing. So, even though the make, model, or caliber might be the same, or similar, or whatever, there might be a fine line to make a case that you would be carrying illegally because it really is not the exact same firearm. To be safe, call your instructor, or the LEO, and make sure you do it the right way, what ever way that may be. I believe the fee to the government to add another pistol is minimal. I don't know what the instructor might charge.
    I rented a Kimber for my NV CCW permit, so the serial number really can't be used on your permit. I brought my 2 Glocks with me from MD and no one wrote down those serial numbers either.

Contact Kurt Gepke in Vegas. He is a great NV certified CCW instructor. His web site is

Home Page

He can give you the correct info.

11. Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    To determine residence might depend solely on what address is on your driver's license or where you spend the most time so maybe a utility bill would suffice. Seems to me that we discussed this a while back. I tried a search of the archives but came up empty. It's a good question, tho!
    Different states have different requirements; in some a drivers license will do fine. Others want to see more proof, like voter registration, tax bill, utility bill, whatever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast