I dropped my handgun in the stall - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I dropped my handgun in the stall

Use the handicapped stalls or family bathrooms when out in public and "packing in the unloading zone".
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

First, I would suggest a new IWB if the one you have just allows gravity or even a somewhat harsh "flip" to remove your gun. There should be enough tension to hold it upside down and give it a decent bounce without it falling out.

That being said, if I absolutely must use the public john...
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerP345 View Post
    ...Now I have a normal holster and find that I usually rebuckle my belt after sitting down...
    ... this is also what I do. I will add that I keep the belt/waistband up over my knees. That is a little easier for me than keeping my legs spread to hold everything in place. Plus it keeps the holster higher up so it is less visible from under the stall walls. It takes a little practice, but it's quite effective.

The LAST thing I would do is remove it from the holster. Maybe it's just me, but the less I handle the unholstered gun, the better.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post

Cute, but I sure hate it for you if the damned thing accidentally discharges!
    Maybe they should call that the "Darwin Holster" LOL
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RugerP345 View Post
    Cute, but I sure hate it for you if the damned thing accidentally discharges!
    Maybe they should call that the "Darwin Holster" LOL

I wouldn't use this type of holster. For those who do, I would hope that they carry with an empty chamber.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I wouldn't use this type of holster. For those who do, I would hope that they carry with an empty chamber.

gf
    You guys worry too much...do you expect to live forever or something?

Okay, I'll come clean. My "around the neck" holster for my P3AT holds the pistol horizontal, not vertical. I also find it way too uncomfortable for use.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

my solution to my issue of dropping my gun in the stall!

Thanks for all your replies, and I do know I am not alone on this, nor will I be the last. When I am given a chance to correct a problem I take advantage it. I meam that could have turned out very nasty if it had been reported.

I am a pack rat (not as bad as in the past), but still hang on to things. At one time, I was somewhat of a collector of hand guns with a collection of 7 different handguns & a large collection of holsters. My gun collection is now a big"1", I carry a .357 & that's it, but I still have all my holsters, and one is a shoulder rig. Now, when I go out to a mall, or any store that has a public restroom, I use my shoulder holster with a strap to hold the gun in place. With my various disabilities, it actually helps me if I should ever require it. I do like appendix carry, so I might purchase this one holster that is like a wrap that goes below the waist, and is very secure. I'll tell you, that drop in the stall really gave me a kick in the butt that was needed!

Quote Originally Posted by WJN Firearms View Post
    On the comment about IWB carry, I also have to agree. Don't like it for several reasons and never have, the ones mentioned included.
    Daugherty16's comment on IWB was really a comment on SOB. IWB and SOB are not the same thing. I carry IWB, which is really nothing more than strong side carry but inside my britches and better secured and more concealed.

If I'm in a public stall, and I absolutely positively cannot choose a handicapped stall, a family bathroom, or a stall with my gunside facing a wall, there's still a way.

Slip the gun outta the holster as you lower your pants, place it inside your pants (but not your underwear) resting on the floor, and hold your pants up "at halfmast" so the holster cannot be seen. You could also rest your pants on the floor rather than hold them up, and fold them over such that the holster is concealed from view. When you stand up, the weight of the gun inside your pants will remind you, "Oh yes, there's something I need to do."

There are also IWB holsters with snaps rather than screws. Kramer Leather makes 'em and probably so too do other makers. You could unsnap the holster, gun and all, and place it inside your pants, but not your underwear.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

9. What type of holster are you using?
    I was wondering the same thing. If you are going to open carry then for goodness sake don't do it with a cheap in the waistband holster with no retention. Get a good belt hoslter with at least a snap strap over the top. Open carry has enough detractors with out our giving them more reason to bother us.

I agree also. SOB carry is definately on the bottom of my list. The only way I used to IWB carry when I just carried a S&W Model 36 wheel gun was with an IWB holster that had a retention strap around the belt and also a thumbreak. I don't think they make that particular style holster any more as I bought it in 1981 when I bought the J frame and I don't recall seeing anything similar in more recent days. When I sold the J frame, it went with it.

There's always a way to keep control of a firearm when you are minus trousers if you just put your mind to it in advance. Kengrubb's idea is just one good one of many possible.

Won't let go!!

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    I remember what happened when one would drop their weapon in basic training. You were one sorry SOB. I can still feel the push up's burning my arms.
    That is always a fond memory for me also. Never dropped mine in the service but felt sorry for those poor SOBs who did. When I am in a public restroom I am always mindful of a temporary resting place for my weapon and if there is none I keep it in one hand or another....I know that sounds hard but it is better than dropping it.
    The Iceman, Akron, Oh
    Shoot straight and be safe...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast