Florida concealed carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida concealed carry

1. Florida concealed carry

Dear All,

I am an Ohio resident who recently obtained my CC permit. I do a fair amount of traveling, and I have heard that it is worthwhile to also obtain a Florida CC because it allows you to carry in most states. Can anyone please comment on their feelings / experience with this? I believe that the nonresident CC permit in Florida costs $ 120 or so, and I am wondering if it is worthwhile.

Thanks,

Neal

First, Welcome to the Forum from Tampa Bay, Floriduh..

Check out the map that is maintained on this site, and you should be able to answer your own question..
    Make sure you note that it is an out of state permit, as a few states do not recognize the receprocity if it is a non-resident permit

You can find the map under "resources" at the top of the page...

Here is a link.

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

Welcome from Missouri. I also have a Florida CCW. It cost $117 for 7 years.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker's Mom View Post
    Welcome from Missouri. I also have a Florida CCW. It cost $117 for 7 years.
    Does FL require the fingerprints for renewals as well? Reason I ask is that it says of the $117, $42 of that is finger print processsing...

6. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Does FL require the fingerprints for renewals as well? Reason I ask is that it says of the $117, $42 of that is finger print processsing...
    Yes, you need to send your fingerprint card, application, and picture of you to FLA. Must have firearm training instructor signed on the application and also must have notarized stamped on the application.
    NRA Life Member

7. Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear All,

I am an Ohio resident who recently obtained my CC permit. I do a fair amount of traveling, and I have heard that it is worthwhile to also obtain a Florida CC because it allows you to carry in most states. Can anyone please comment on their feelings / experience with this? I believe that the nonresident CC permit in Florida costs $ 120 or so, and I am wondering if it is worthwhile.

Thanks,

Neal
    Non-resident FLA ccw is good for most states. But some states rather a resident obtains ccw in their state.

Your Ohio ccw is good for some states FLA, SC, NC, VA, WV, KY, and more other reciprocate states honored your Ohio ccw.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Yes. go to your nearest Sheriff's Office and have the fingerprint done there. You have to include your CCW certificate plus whatever else card that your instructor gave you to get a permit. Also, do not forget a 3-month copy of your current bill, e.g., visa or house services e.g., gas, electricity, etc. so that in case they ask for it, you wouldn't have to get back your application in the mail with the addendum in it. Also, your photo need to be notarized. Two ID photographs, American size like your passport size here in the US. and yes, it is worthwhile to have FLA permit, depending on where you want to go interstate that will accept it. One thing good about a FLA permit is that it is not connected to your normal DL.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

9. Neal,
    Just be careful as some states will only honor the FL concealed carry permit if you are a resident of FL. So if you are a resident of OH and travel to CO (for example), CO will NOT honor your FL non-resident permit. There are a couple of good websites out there that provide info on reciprocity. Carry Concealed is a good site. However, as always, it is best to check the laws of the state you will be traveling to and through. Safe travels.

Fish

I have a FL "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License" I think it is good to have. I live in SC and travel to FL periodically by car--The SC Concealed Carry Permit does not reciprocate with our Sourtherly neighbors, more specifically--Georgia: whereas the FL License does. I was stopped by a LEO for speeding just yesterday in GA [yes--I was, 87mph in a 70] coming back from Daytona 24 hr Race. I was asked for my drivers license, and I handed him my drivers license, and both my CWP cards--I let him know I was carrying on my person and had one firearm in the glove compartment. He asked that I remove my gun from my hip holster and place it on the dashboard, while we spoke. We had a proffessional very short little chat about where I was going and where I was coming from. He asked if I was Law Enforcement--I said "no sir". He advised me to watch my speed. I thanked him. He went back to his car.

I have to say this was the very first time I was stopped by a LEO and carrying. I do believe this was the reason he did not give me a ticket. I am also very glad I had my FL license, which of course allows reciprocity with GA. All in all --I discovered that I was not as nervous as I thought I could have been about being pulled over and of course --Happy with the outcome. Needless to say , I watched my speed all the way home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast