Point Shooting - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Point Shooting

1. I have thought about this situation as well, but I plan to get a laser sight for my CC piece so that I won't have to worry about bringing the unit up to aim it. Does this make sense or am I missing something? I would think that a laser site would be very useful on a defensive, rather than sporting, weapon.

Neal

3. As a target shooter consisting of mostly 6 inch bull's eye targets, I have trained in putting bullets in the 10 and x rings. I have rarely, except in classes, group training, etc, shoot human body targets. There is so much real estate on a human target that it becomes too easy. I have always placed top shooter in any class I have taken.

While this bull's eye training has served me well as far as accuracy, I have tried to over ride my want to place bullet on bullet in the target, to trust my ability to point the gun at the target faster and use how I perceive the position of my muzzle to target.

If I point the muzzle at the target without lining up the sights, and then bring my head to the sights to see just where the gun is pointing in this instance, the gun is right on target or pretty damn close.

I need to shoot body targets more to increase my speed in getting bullets on target and trust my bodies ability to point the gun accurately.

In a personal defense situation distance, bringing the muzzle up to a front site focus on the target is simple. I would have to doubt that shots are on target. I also train at distances so I know where my gun POI is at.

I want to be rounded for accurate close in speed, but also pin point distance shooting for shooting obstructed targets like what would be presented by an assailant taking cover. papa

Hey Neal: First off I am no expert but have been reading a lot and practicing a lot with point shoot. Point shoot is just one "tool" for self-defense and it is by far (and we are talking about fractions of a second here) the fastest way to have a firearm pointed at and shooting at a perp; you have done nothing other than presented the gun, raised it (and, if you really get good, haven't even raised it above your hip) and fired. ANYTHING you do other than that requires time (again, we are talking about fractions of a second) and, depending on distances involved from the perp, any time lost is not to your advantage. It is to your advantage to give yourself every opportunity to protect yourself--point shooting along with a laser and good sights are all opportunities to protect yourself. Even in the dark (where a laser supposedly is king), you will find that point shooting technique done well will not even require you looking at the target when you raise your weapon to fire--it is amazing how the body, once your eyes and nose are facing the target, will allow your hand to point a firearm at the target; sure we are not talking excellent target shooting--we are talking about hitting body mass on a perp who is within 5-10 ft of you. Again, knowing how to effectively use a laser, use the firearms sights, etc are all encouraged---just add point shoot to the list and once you begin to get proficient, you will be amazed how effective it can be and may even convince you that it will be your primary method for defense in close distances.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I have thought about this situation as well, but I plan to get a laser sight for my CC piece so that I won't have to worry about bringing the unit up to aim it. Does this make sense or am I missing something? I would think that a laser site would be very useful on a defensive, rather than sporting, weapon.

Neal
    I would suggest forgetting about the laser for defensive/tactical shooting, if you draw your weapon in defense... hopefully you'll be moving first... looking for that DOT on a target to take a shot can get you shot. Point shooting is necessary skill for defensive shooting, i would leave the laser for target shooting and SWAT/SNIPER personnel.

If you feel you need it, or just think its cool, it will do no harm to have on your weapon, my point is don't rely on it.. or practice using it as a reactionary tool, though putting that red dot on someone can change their mind during a confrontation, but a quick reaction has no room for a laser... You draw.... Bang Bang Bang... you win.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123