Michigan domestic violence & carry laws - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michigan domestic violence & carry laws

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    What is this "registration"? If I buy a handgun in Idaho, there is no "registration". In Kalifornia, yeah, handguns are registered. Was this handgun really "registered"?
    Registration of handguns is a requirement of MICHIGAN residents. If you're not a resident of Michigan, then you need to have a carry permit/license from your home state.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Registration of handguns is a requirement of MICHIGAN residents. If you're not a resident of Michigan, then you need to have a carry permit/license from your home state.
    She wasn't "carrying". The gun was in a suitcase apparently in a motel room.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

She wasn't "carrying". The gun was in a suitcase apparently in a motel room.
    And under Michigan law, it doesn't matter. She would have been covered by the federal travel laws, IF her trip had not come to a stop in Michigan. Since it did, the argument might be made that she then needed a carry permit/license from her home state for the pistol to be legally in this state.

And under Michigan law, it doesn't matter. She would have been covered by the federal travel laws, IF her trip had not come to a stop in Michigan. Since it did, the argument might be made that she then needed a carry permit/license from her home state for the pistol to be legally in this state.
    I don't know Michigan law but even Kalifornia allows you to have a handgun in your domicile and a motel room or a camp counts as your domicile. Kalifornia requires a gun not be available to an unsupervised minor but I don't think there were any minors present and if they had been they were supervised.

So it comes down to the claim that having a handgun in your domicile is illegal in Michigan. Is that the law?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

I don't know Michigan law but even Kalifornia allows you to have a handgun in your domicile and a motel room or a camp counts as your domicile. Kalifornia requires a gun not be available to an unsupervised minor but I don't think there were any minors present and if they had been they were supervised.

So it comes down to the claim that having a handgun in your domicile is illegal in Michigan. Is that the law?
    To have a handgun in your domicile (or whatever) in Michigan, typically requires it to be registered with the Michigan State Police. The only way you get around this, is by having a carry permit/license from your home state.

Basically, if you're going to visit Michigan, don't bring your handgun unless you have a permit/license to carry from your home state.

There have been attempts to change this, but I don't think they've been successful so far.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Jerri View Post
    My date & I were visiting Travers City, Michigan over the holidays. I had my .38 (registered to my ex-husband) in a suitcase with the bullets in completely seperate suitcase. My date began assaulting me and the hotel called the police. They took him to jail for domestic violence so he told them about the gun. It had not been taken out of the suitcase since I left Texas and was not involved in anyway in the episode. They said they wanted to check out the registration and that I should be able to pick it up before I left for Texas(yeah, on Christmas Eve! Not!). NOW, they pretty much tell me I can't have it back and should be glad they didn't haul me for illegally possessing a handgun. SSSOOOO.....I get beat up. Sent back to Texas to deal with an angry stalker ex-boyfriend and no protection for my small children and I. Is this legal???? I wasn't charged with anything and would really like the gun returned.
    Anyone familiar with Traverse City, Michigan gun laws???
    Unfortunately, Ms. Jerri, life's lessons sometimes come at considerable expense. My advice would be to chalk this up as one of those expensive lessons. Go out and buy yourself a gun that you really like, don't travel very far with men you don't know that well, and if you are going to travel to a state that oppressess not only it's own residents but other law abiding Americans as well with next to impossible-to-comply-with laws, leave your gun at home. However, I am sure we would all thank you for handing at least one creep over to the authorities.

To have a handgun in your domicile (or whatever) in Michigan, typically requires it to be registered with the Michigan State Police. The only way you get around this, is by having a carry permit/license from your home state.
    Wow! And I thought Kalifornia gun laws were insane!
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Wow! And I thought Kalifornia gun laws were insane!
    At least we have shall issue.

At least we have shall issue.
    Sorry about being a little off topic, but I have too say Mr Al is correct, We have Shall issue. I read day in and day out about the trials that the guys in NY, Mass, Jersey and MD have to go thru.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Sorry about being a little off topic, but I have too say Mr Al is correct, We have Shall issue. I read day in and day out about the trials that the guys in NY, Mass, Jersey and MD have to go thru.
    You forgot to mention both Illinois and Wisconsin, which have NO concealed carry at all.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast