Michigan domestic violence & carry laws - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Michigan domestic violence & carry laws

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    What is this "registration"? If I buy a handgun in Idaho, there is no "registration". In Kalifornia, yeah, handguns are registered. Was this handgun really "registered"?
    Registration of handguns is a requirement of MICHIGAN residents. If you're not a resident of Michigan, then you need to have a carry permit/license from your home state.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Registration of handguns is a requirement of MICHIGAN residents. If you're not a resident of Michigan, then you need to have a carry permit/license from your home state.
    She wasn't "carrying". The gun was in a suitcase apparently in a motel room.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    She wasn't "carrying". The gun was in a suitcase apparently in a motel room.
    And under Michigan law, it doesn't matter. She would have been covered by the federal travel laws, IF her trip had not come to a stop in Michigan. Since it did, the argument might be made that she then needed a carry permit/license from her home state for the pistol to be legally in this state.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    And under Michigan law, it doesn't matter. She would have been covered by the federal travel laws, IF her trip had not come to a stop in Michigan. Since it did, the argument might be made that she then needed a carry permit/license from her home state for the pistol to be legally in this state.
    I don't know Michigan law but even Kalifornia allows you to have a handgun in your domicile and a motel room or a camp counts as your domicile. Kalifornia requires a gun not be available to an unsupervised minor but I don't think there were any minors present and if they had been they were supervised.

    So it comes down to the claim that having a handgun in your domicile is illegal in Michigan. Is that the law?
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  6. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I don't know Michigan law but even Kalifornia allows you to have a handgun in your domicile and a motel room or a camp counts as your domicile. Kalifornia requires a gun not be available to an unsupervised minor but I don't think there were any minors present and if they had been they were supervised.

    So it comes down to the claim that having a handgun in your domicile is illegal in Michigan. Is that the law?
    To have a handgun in your domicile (or whatever) in Michigan, typically requires it to be registered with the Michigan State Police. The only way you get around this, is by having a carry permit/license from your home state.

    Basically, if you're going to visit Michigan, don't bring your handgun unless you have a permit/license to carry from your home state.

    There have been attempts to change this, but I don't think they've been successful so far.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Jerri View Post
    My date & I were visiting Travers City, Michigan over the holidays. I had my .38 (registered to my ex-husband) in a suitcase with the bullets in completely seperate suitcase. My date began assaulting me and the hotel called the police. They took him to jail for domestic violence so he told them about the gun. It had not been taken out of the suitcase since I left Texas and was not involved in anyway in the episode. They said they wanted to check out the registration and that I should be able to pick it up before I left for Texas(yeah, on Christmas Eve! Not!). NOW, they pretty much tell me I can't have it back and should be glad they didn't haul me for illegally possessing a handgun. SSSOOOO.....I get beat up. Sent back to Texas to deal with an angry stalker ex-boyfriend and no protection for my small children and I. Is this legal???? I wasn't charged with anything and would really like the gun returned.
    Anyone familiar with Traverse City, Michigan gun laws???
    Unfortunately, Ms. Jerri, life's lessons sometimes come at considerable expense. My advice would be to chalk this up as one of those expensive lessons. Go out and buy yourself a gun that you really like, don't travel very far with men you don't know that well, and if you are going to travel to a state that oppressess not only it's own residents but other law abiding Americans as well with next to impossible-to-comply-with laws, leave your gun at home. However, I am sure we would all thank you for handing at least one creep over to the authorities.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    To have a handgun in your domicile (or whatever) in Michigan, typically requires it to be registered with the Michigan State Police. The only way you get around this, is by having a carry permit/license from your home state.
    Wow! And I thought Kalifornia gun laws were insane!
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  9. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Wow! And I thought Kalifornia gun laws were insane!
    At least we have shall issue.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    At least we have shall issue.
    Sorry about being a little off topic, but I have too say Mr Al is correct, We have Shall issue. I read day in and day out about the trials that the guys in NY, Mass, Jersey and MD have to go thru.
    Semper Fi

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    Sorry about being a little off topic, but I have too say Mr Al is correct, We have Shall issue. I read day in and day out about the trials that the guys in NY, Mass, Jersey and MD have to go thru.
    You forgot to mention both Illinois and Wisconsin, which have NO concealed carry at all.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Open Carry Argument
    By Mainsail in forum Open Carry Discussion
    Replies: 611
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  2. Open carry legal in Michigan
    By venator in forum Michigan Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
  3. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
  4. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM
  5. Laws that you cant find a yes or no on?
    By S&WM&P40 in forum New Hampshire Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast