Michigan domestic violence & carry laws - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Michigan domestic violence & carry laws

Will we ever get the 2nd Amendment enforced as written??
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    My best guess, likely not without another revolution. For now, we have to try to slowly push things back.

Here in Michigan, we used to have to take our pistols in to the local cop shop for a "safety inspection." We managed to get that part of the registration dropped. But pistols still have to be registered. Now, when you purchase a pistol, you and the seller fill out the form, and you send 2 copies to the local police, they forward one to the state police, and you keep one copy.

We tried to get the whole thing dropped but best we could do was get rid of the "safety inspection." Baby steps. That's how it's going to go, baby steps.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

4. MI Laws

Just to add and clear up some things. Someone wrote that MI CPL must carry a handgun that is registered to themselves. Not so, MI CPL can take possesion/loan of any registered handgun form another MI CPL and carry it or posses it. No problem. I hear uninformed bashing of MI gun laws. I for one will support our laws in MI and with good reason. We are a shall issue state. With a MI CPL I can walk into any gun shop and purchase one or twenty handguns without a purchase permit or NICS background check. I can carry concealed on federal hunting lands waters and national and state state parks. I can bow hunt and posses a concealed pistol. I can enter any resteraunt that sells alcohol provided that they serve food as well,that makes over 50% of sales. I CANNOT DRINK ALCOHOL while in said establishment if Im carring but I can loan my gun to another CPL who isnt drinking and order a beer. Our law doesnt prevent a CPL from any BAC but IMO it would be foolish to attempt to skate around the .02 limit. I wont do it. What else? Yes we do have some pistol free zones. Post offices courts bars/taverns colleges shools day care centers sporting arenas, establishments with over 2500 seating capacity, hospitals etc, you get the drift. But all in all for the most part we MI CPL holders go about our business unhindered. Judging by the cross sectional view I had of MI citizens sitting in the classes and getting their CPL at the gunboard, criminals better beware. Anyone they look at could be carring in MI. I saw young and old men and women. Can MI make or tweak a few things for CPL's to have it better? Sure, I hear rumors all the time or read somehwhere that they are talking at the state capial. Another good part of MI law is our OC statutes. I wouldnt try it in cities but when out in the sticks or very rural areas I can carry my six inch 357 DA in an open holster in my car because of my MI CPL and then exit the car and continue to OC.

Just as an aside to the OP. I agree with whoever said that you were lucky not to be charged with "something". If you had been on the street and that gun was in your pocket or in your car it would/could have been a different day for you. Something more to think about is that if you get out of your car and loaned it to your boyfriend with that gun still in it. If he gets stopped and they find the gun he is now in possesion of concealed weapon, a felony, if convicted. Bottom line, obey the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    Just to add and clear up some things. Someone wrote that MI CPL must carry a handgun that is registered to themselves. Not so, MI CPL can take possesion/loan of any registered handgun form another MI CPL and carry it or posses it. No problem. I hear uninformed bashing of MI gun laws. I for one will support our laws in MI and with good reason. We are a shall issue state. With a MI CPL I can walk into any gun shop and purchase one or twenty handguns without a purchase permit or NICS background check. I can carry concealed on federal hunting lands waters and national and state state parks. I can bow hunt and posses a concealed pistol. I can enter any resteraunt that sells alcohol provided that they serve food as well,that makes over 50% of sales. I CANNOT DRINK ALCOHOL while in said establishment if Im carring but I can loan my gun to another CPL who isnt drinking and order a beer. Our law doesnt prevent a CPL from any BAC but IMO it would be foolish to attempt to skate around the .02 limit. I wont do it. What else? Yes we do have some pistol free zones. Post offices courts bars/taverns colleges shools day care centers sporting arenas, establishments with over 2500 seating capacity, hospitals etc, you get the drift. But all in all for the most part we MI CPL holders go about our business unhindered. Judging by the cross sectional view I had of MI citizens sitting in the classes and getting their CPL at the gunboard, criminals better beware. Anyone they look at could be carring in MI. I saw young and old men and women. Can MI make or tweak a few things for CPL's to have it better? Sure, I hear rumors all the time or read somehwhere that they are talking at the state capial. Another good part of MI law is our OC statutes. I wouldnt try it in cities but when out in the sticks or very rural areas I can carry my six inch 357 DA in an open holster in my car because of my MI CPL and then exit the car and continue to OC.

Just as an aside to the OP. I agree with whoever said that you were lucky not to be charged with "something". If you had been on the street and that gun was in your pocket or in your car it would/could have been a different day for you. Something more to think about is that if you get out of your car and loaned it to your boyfriend with that gun still in it. If he gets stopped and they find the gun he is now in possesion of concealed weapon, a felony, if convicted. Bottom line, obey the laws.
    First, I never said the pistol has to be registered to "you" as the carrier. I simply said the pistol has to be registered.

Second, the OP pointed out the pistol was locked up in a case, separate from the ammo. If she had been traveling in a vehicle, with the pistol in the trunk, under the federal peaceable journey laws, she should have been good to go. However, as that only applies to people traveling, having stopped at a hotel/motel, she is no longer protected by federal laws.

Third, I OC in Lansing all the time, never had a problem with anyone. Then again, I wasn't at the South side Ponderosa a couple of weekends ago, when someone with MIOC showed up and an AR-15.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Because we have pre-emption, local gov't can't have any gun laws stronger than the state. But I would suggest contacting a lawyer. I don't know if Travers City is in his area or not, but you could probably at least get some advice from James Simmons, at 586-566-1900. He could give you better advice as to whether or not you have a chance to get your gun back.
    I just called this guy Jim Simmons and he was highly knowledgeable - give him a shot! lol

7. Above: I called for two reasons: I have a pending charge and a ppo. I wanted to know how long before I can carry if given only a ppo and no long term misdemeanor dom. viol.

Gun registration? Since when? I have several that I have bought from individuals, and am not required to register them with state or federal agencies.
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    enforced? by whom?

who is going to "enforce" the 2nd amendment? and upon whom are they going to enforce it?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    enforced? by whom?

who is going to "enforce" the 2nd amendment? and upon whom are they going to enforce it?
    Interesting challenge. I would hope that the Fed's would enforce the tenents of the 2nd Amendment on the states. And of course the Supreme Court upon the Fed's.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Gun registration? Since when? I have several that I have bought from individuals, and am not required to register them with state or federal agencies.
    Unfortunately, we have handgun registration in Michigan. They used to call it a "safety inspection." It was started sometime back in the 1920's after an incident involving a black doctor, Dr. Ossian Sweet. It was updated a year or so ago so that we no longer have to physically take the pistol into the local PD/sheriff's office to have it "safety inspected." Now, we just fill out a form when we purchase the pistol, and mail/take the copies into them. One goes to the local PD, the other to the State Police. But you take/mail both copies to the local PD, and they send the state their copy.

Sucks, I know, but we've been working on getting it dropped completely. So we're moving in the right direction.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast