Michigan domestic violence & carry laws
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michigan domestic violence & carry laws

1. Arrow Michigan domestic violence & carry laws

My date & I were visiting Travers City, Michigan over the holidays. I had my .38 (registered to my ex-husband) in a suitcase with the bullets in completely seperate suitcase. My date began assaulting me and the hotel called the police. They took him to jail for domestic violence so he told them about the gun. It had not been taken out of the suitcase since I left Texas and was not involved in anyway in the episode. They said they wanted to check out the registration and that I should be able to pick it up before I left for Texas(yeah, on Christmas Eve! Not!). NOW, they pretty much tell me I can't have it back and should be glad they didn't haul me for illegally possessing a handgun. SSSOOOO.....I get beat up. Sent back to Texas to deal with an angry stalker ex-boyfriend and no protection for my small children and I. Is this legal???? I wasn't charged with anything and would really like the gun returned.
    Anyone familiar with Traverse City, Michigan gun laws???

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Jerri View Post
    My date & I were visiting Travers City, Michigan over the holidays. I had my .38 (registered to my ex-husband) in a suitcase with the bullets in completely seperate suitcase. My date began assaulting me and the hotel called the police. They took him to jail for domestic violence so he told them about the gun. It had not been taken out of the suitcase since I left Texas and was not involved in anyway in the episode. They said they wanted to check out the registration and that I should be able to pick it up before I left for Texas(yeah, on Christmas Eve! Not!). NOW, they pretty much tell me I can't have it back and should be glad they didn't haul me for illegally possessing a handgun. SSSOOOO.....I get beat up. Sent back to Texas to deal with an angry stalker ex-boyfriend and no protection for my small children and I. Is this legal???? I wasn't charged with anything and would really like the gun returned.
    Anyone familiar with Traverse City, Michigan gun laws???
    Because we have pre-emption, local gov't can't have any gun laws stronger than the state. But I would suggest contacting a lawyer. I don't know if Travers City is in his area or not, but you could probably at least get some advice from James Simmons, at 586-566-1900. He could give you better advice as to whether or not you have a chance to get your gun back.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I agree with the above poster. Sounds like a question for a lawyer. And I wouldn't be giving too much details on the forum about the incident until it is resolved.
    In the mean time I'd be searching for a private transaction purchase so you aren't "naked" so to speak until it is resolved.

I hope this means there won't be a second date?
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Because we have pre-emption, local gov't can't have any gun laws stronger than the state. But I would suggest contacting a lawyer. I don't know if Travers City is in his area or not, but you could probably at least get some advice from James Simmons, at 586-566-1900. He could give you better advice as to whether or not you have a chance to get your gun back.
    I have to echo Al & Ruger... SEEK Legal assistance. Good Luck
    Semper Fi

6. Maybe some on is listening.
    Ariz. Senate Panel Approves Concealed Weapons Bill
    Updated: Tuesday, 02 Feb 2010, 8:32 AM MST
    Published : Tuesday, 02 Feb 2010, 7:06 AM MST

An Arizona Senate committee has approved a bill that would allow people to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved the measure Monday on a 4-3 party-line vote.

Mesa Republican Sen. Russell Pearce is sponsoring the measure.

He says it is designed to preserve constitutional rights and to reduce legal barriers preventing law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves.

Opponents worry it would lead to more violence.

Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police lobbyist John Thomas says the measure would "take Arizona back into Wild-West carry with no consideration for officer safety."

It now goes to the full Senate after a legal review. A House committee is scheduled to hear a similar bill Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by rsdonb View Post
    Opponents worry it would lead to more violence.
    Why should it? Arizona is a true concealed weapons State already! If there were going to be a problem with citizens carrying weapons, I'm sure it would have materialized by now.
    More anti-Constitutional alarmist Bull Poop.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

If you had a Texas permit you would have been good in Michigan too. And with a Texas carry permit you would be able to buy another handgun in Texas, bypassing the NICS check. So, get yourself a ccw for Texas. It's good in 31 other states.

Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police lobbyist John Thomas says the measure would "take Arizona back into Wild-West carry with no consideration for officer safety."
    I see this line of the "wild-west" trotted out from time to time. Yet, I have never seen any state that has turned into the image of the lawless, guns-blazing, vigilante-driven condition that the "wild-west" implies due to changes of the concealed carry laws for that state.

Personally, I would think it would be beneficial to the officers to have more citizens that would be able to help in a dire situation. There are far more good guys out there than bad guys.

I would say the reason you did'nt get the gun back was bacause you were in possesion of a gun that wa not registered to you. just from what I know to posses a gun that is not yours you have to have a purchase permit. I guess this makes it leagle to have an unregistered gun but they are only good for 10 days. That being said I agree with the seeking leagle advise from a lawyer.

I haven't actually looked at Michigan codes, but if the previous poster is correct, then your probably screwed.

Now if you had been traveling to Kentucky, you wouldn't have had a problem as long as the suitcase had a lock. No gun registration and it would have fell under the federal law protecting interstate travel with a handgun since it would have been unloaded and in a locked container.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast