Concealed carry at the post office - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry at the post office

Because of this I always do my package mailing and buying of stamps at a UPS store or other private mailing company like Mailboxes, etc. They have no such silly rules and the service is way better.
    Don't take a chance at the post office. Suppose you had a medical emergency like a heart attack and they found the concealed weapon on you.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Be careful when asking a police officer or any LEO for "legal advice" as in "is it legal to do _____?" Many LEO aren't clear on the local firearms laws and some very bad things have happened to good people for asking what would seem to be a simple and innocent question. If you want to know what is "legal" in a particular area, find an attorney who is familiar with the firearms laws in that area and ask them. Depending on a LEO for "legal advice" can cost you a lot of time and money, and often times answers from LEO vary from one LEO to another LEO.

As for Navy Federal Credit Union being a "federal" facility, it isn't necessarily a "federal" facility because it has the word "federal" in their name. There are numerous credit unions out there that have the words "Federal Credit Union" in their name. In the case of credit unions, the "FCU" or "Federal Credit Union" simply states the type of business they are, like a "Savings Bank" would be the the ending part of other types of financial institutions.

gf
    Very good point, as LEO's are definitely not the end all, know all of legal regulations and policies. Some could be just stating what they think the law is. I'm also pretty sure an LEO is likely to give you an inaccurate answer, than no answer at all.

Also a good point on the name's of certain institutions. In the case of Navy Federal, turns out it actually is a considered a federal facility. In the end, when in doubt, I don't carry, until I find out for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Be careful when asking a police officer or any LEO for "legal advice" as in "is it legal to do _____?" Many LEO aren't clear on the local firearms laws and some very bad things have happened to good people for asking what would seem to be a simple and innocent question. If you want to know what is "legal" in a particular area, find an attorney who is familiar with the firearms laws in that area and ask them. Depending on a LEO for "legal advice" can cost you a lot of time and money, and often times answers from LEO vary from one LEO to another LEO.

As for Navy Federal Credit Union being a "federal" facility, it isn't necessarily a "federal" facility because it has the word "federal" in their name. There are numerous credit unions out there that have the words "Federal Credit Union" in their name. In the case of credit unions, the "FCU" or "Federal Credit Union" simply states the type of business they are, like a "Savings Bank" would be the the ending part of other types of financial institutions.

gf
    As for Navy Federal Credit Union being a "federal" facility, it isn't necessarily a "federal" facility because it has the word "federal" in their name.

Good point. Similar to the fact that the Fedeal Reserve is in no way a part of the Federal Government or Federal Express either.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I will Not Mention What I do... or if I had a Concealed Gun when I entered the Post Office in Question, Not wise (stupid) on Internet...
    BUT, When I was in Florida just recently, (I live in Florida when in the USA) and Licensed to Carry... I went to a Local Post Office to Mail some packages.... A sign was On the wall near the Stamp machine, NOT on the Door when Entering...It Read:

"Carrying of Firearms and Weapons Prohibited on US Postal Property". Blah Blah Something Something with Codes and Sections....
    One Could have a Case that it wasn't posted on the Door...and so By entering, you were NOT aware. But, Tell The Police That as You are Handcuffed. I still go with my Montra, If Its Concealed and No One Sees it, Then Its Not a Worry... It Becomes a Worry if Someone Sees it... If they Do, You Did Something wrong....
    Officially I wouldn't Carry on Federal or "Federal" protected Property... Govt Buildings, Courts, Ports, Post Offices, Airports..etc.
    God Bless. Captain

6. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK9 View Post
    I will Not Mention What I do... or if I had a Concealed Gun when I entered the Post Office in Question, Not wise (stupid) on Internet...
    BUT, When I was in Florida just recently, (I live in Florida when in the USA) and Licensed to Carry... I went to a Local Post Office to Mail some packages.... A sign was On the wall near the Stamp machine, NOT on the Door when Entering...It Read:

"Carrying of Firearms and Weapons Prohibited on US Postal Property". Blah Blah Something Something with Codes and Sections....
    One Could have a Case that it wasn't posted on the Door...and so By entering, you were NOT aware. But, Tell The Police That as You are Handcuffed. I still go with my Montra, If Its Concealed and No One Sees it, Then Its Not a Worry... It Becomes a Worry if Someone Sees it... If they Do, You Did Something wrong....
    Officially I wouldn't Carry on Federal or "Federal" protected Property... Govt Buildings, Courts, Ports, Post Offices, Airports..etc.
    God Bless. Captain
    Some good advice on this here thread.
    1. Don't spout stuff on the internet, or to a cop, or anywhere, that could be incriminating. If you do, you've voluntarily given up your 5th Amendment right. That goes for places you might carry illegally, scenarios in which you'd shoot down everybody in sight, etc. Regardless of what you might ACTUALLY do.
    2. Don't carry on Federal Property. Post Offices, Federal Bldgs, etc. unless you are a sworn LEO with duties at the property and are otherwise legal. (Example: i work in a federal bldg. As an senior employee, i bypass the metal detector and security, but still wouldn't even consider bringing a gun to work despite its ease). If you're going to carry anyway, DON'T ADVERTISE THE FACT.
    3. Know your laws. State law can't trump federal law, but might allow for more severe penalties for the same crime. Also, states are free to declare more gun-free zones that just what the feds define. Know your laws.

That said, all of us are probably going to inadvertantly go somewhere, remember we're carrying once it's too late, and just have to deal with it. If you're carrying properly in the first place, chances are you'll go undiscovered. Play it cool, remain invisible, and get out once you can.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

I carry in there a couple of times a week. My wife has to ship packages about twice a week for Ebay and such. She prints her own shipping labels, so I'm just in and out. I've never seen a sign on a Post Office here that says no CCW. I probably wouldn't care anyway since I never spend more than a minute or two in there. Just drop them off and leave. If they really pushed the issue, I wouldn't go. I'd have the delivery people pick the packages up, or I would refuse to use them and call Fed Ex for a pick up.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

8. And it helps when you have a cop in the family. My brother is a Cleveland police officer, and questions like this are put to him (by me) all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Because federal law strictly prohibits it and if you slip up, your right to carry is gone forever.
    And as a fellow by the name of Randy Weaver found out, there are no little violations of federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    And it helps when you have a cop in the family. My brother is a Cleveland police officer, and questions like this are put to him (by me) all the time.

Except...there are not very many cops that actually no the laws...

Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16 View Post
    State law can't trump federal law
    Actually it can, it's a common misconception that they don't, but they do.

The power structure as written by the framers;

1) The people
    2) The state
    3) The feds

That being said, a post office is Federal property.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast