Concealed carry at the post office - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry at the post office

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    This subject has been debated for years. In SC according to the Palmetto Gun Club SLED told them that CC in a Post Office is OK as long as you don't go behind the counter. See half way down on page 6 under CWP COURSE NEWS/NRA COACH SCHOOL http://www.palmettogunclub.org/nwslt...09Bullseye.pdf There is still no clear cut ruling on this.

See Code of Federal Regulations Title 36, Chapter 1, Section 232.1

(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

(p) Penalties and other law. (1) Alleged violations of these rules and regulations are heard, and the penalties prescribed herein are imposed, either in a Federal district court or by a Federal magistrate in accordance with applicable court rules. Questions regarding such rules should be directed to the regional counsel for the region involved.

(2) Whoever shall be found guilty of violating the rules and regulations in this section while on property under the charge and control of the Postal Service is subject to fine of not more than $50 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained in these rules and regulations shall be construed to abrogate any other Federal laws or regulations of any State and local laws and regulations applicable to any area in which the property is situated.

The way I read this I can't "store" my firearm in my car while it is parked in the post office parking lot. What are we supposed to do if we need to mail a package? Do I have to go home and drop off my guns and make a 2nd trip to the P.O.?
    My carry weapon is always on my hip or under the driver's seat of my car.

All federal offices are off limits for concealed or open carry, this includes military/naval reserve centers. Only exceptions is on-duty LEOs and military/naval personnel who may carry while on-duty.

Thumbs up

I sent an email to the USPS asking about a post office inside a local hardware store, it looks like I will be going there whenever I need to get stamps or send something instead of the real post office.

Thank you for contacting us about entering a hardware store with a concealed weapon that provides postal service.

I understand your concerns and I happy to check my resources regarding your inquiry. According to my resources, the postal service section in the hardware store is considered a Contract Postal Unit (CPU). A CPU is a supplier owned or supplier-leased site operated by the supplier, under contract to the Postal Service to provide Postal Services to the public and is not staffed by the Postal Service.

In order to determine if you can were the concealed weapon into the hardware store, you will need to contact the hardware store directly.

If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service.

Pam

**Your case has been investigated and a solution has been provided to you. Should you have any additional concerns, please return to USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) to send them to the appropriate office. Please do not reply to this message.**

5. Quote Originally Posted by sjcp826 View Post
    All federal offices are off limits for concealed or open carry, this includes military/naval reserve centers. Only exceptions is on-duty LEOs and military/naval personnel who may carry while on-duty.
    Nope. Military installations are completely at the discretion of the Commanders of those installations and their superiors. Many installations allow firearms for the purposes of hunting, many have ranges that allow use by military personnel and dependents, and almost all allow firearms to be transported to/from and stored in base housing located on the installation.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Post Office "To Carry or Not to Carry"

As usual, all of the facts or in many cases non facts will be decided in a court of supposed law. All of our courts are under Maritime Law and not the Constitution or Constitutional Law! A court in which the judge makes himself god and either pardons or condemns, is usually on the latter's side!
    Judges are part of the good ole boy society: lawyers! Decisions are usually made before a person even enters the court or over a glass of liquor at an expensive restaurant. Lawyers who display hate or dislike for each other on both side, will then go out to eat and drink together to see who gets the Oscar nomination for their court room presentation of deception and smile all the way to the bank, whether they win the case or not.
    It is time for people to wise up! Judges and lawyers work for the system: not for clients or the people. The system is out to control the people and the only way to do that is to make examples of those that come in front of them that are normal law abiding and good upstanding citizens of their communities, just trying to survive in today's world. You have to be an all out criminal to get off in today's judicial system, like an illegal alien and as many others as many do.

If you weapon is concealed as it should be and there are no body scanners or metal detectors, who will know if you are carrying? You should be the only one that knows you are carrying!!!
    I have had police officers, security guards, clerks, etc look me over for weapons, short of a physical search and they could see nothing!! I carry a Kimber 1911 Pro Crimson carry II in a Tucker Leather IWB that allows a shirt to be tucked in over the gun. Read what Jesus said in Luke 22:35 thru 36: 35 And he said unto them, When I sent you forth without purse, and wallet, and shoes, lacked ye anything? And they said, Nothing. 36 And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword.
    Luke 22:35-36 (ASV). Jesus walked with people that carried swords, because in the garden, Peter cut off the guards ear. And it was the custom at that time for speakers like Jesus at "The Last Supper" to have a man carrying a sword at both ends of the table and maybe one at the door of the room.
    If Jesus said it was important enough to sell the cloak off of a man's back, that protected him from the elements, to buy a sword: He must have meant that it was really Important! I truly believe that what He said applies today!

My daughter is a police detective. She goes through policy and procedures for the whole police dept. and makes corrections and brings them up to date. She says that most of the cops on the street just know the basics and have to go to the manuals to get the P&P and to look up codes and laws to make sure at the time of the incident that they are correct in their actions.
    So with that in mind, do you want them to wait until they look at the books to see if they took the right action in your case?
    The police motto is: "To Protect and Serve"
    They can't even protect themselves! They only get to the scene and want to get there after the shooting is over and write up the report on how they think it went down. For most of the cops out there , they can't hit what they are shooting at under pressure! They are fine in a shooting range, or for qualification: but get them in a real situation and they fall apart. Watch the police under pressure on the reality TV shows, airing on National Geographic, Discovery, TruTV and others showing them in actual real life situation, taken with their police car cameras.
    Protect: I DON'T THINK SO!!!
    They only "service" they do is to hand out tickets and direct traffic around an incident. When is the last time that you saw an on duty cop change a tire for someone or come to someone's aid that was being victimized? If one does it makes the NATIONAL NEWS! They only show up to usually try and fault the victim for being a victim OR fault a person for defending themselves!
    A lot of cops would not even carry a gun if it weren't required for the job!!!!!!!!
    If you are an Illegal alien and get caught carrying a concealed gun they put you back on the streets: if you are a Citizen of the US and covered by the Second Amendment get caught carrying concealed; you go to jail! Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture? Again Maritime Law verses The Constitution and its Laws that are supposed to protect us!

So as the ole saying goes something like this: "Would you rather be judged by 12 or be buried by 6!"
    Keep it hidden and ready for service to help protect those you love and those that being victimized!!
    There's a fine line between a Hero and a Coward! A split second tells the outcome.

7. USPS is a strange beast... they are not, strictly speaking, a government entity, the buildings are not "federal" buildings, and yet federal law prohibits carry in them.... and, strictly speaking, having a firearm in the trunk of your car in the parking lot at the PO is STILL "being in possession of a firearm on POSTAL PROPERTY".

Further, federal law certainly does trump state laws... though it should not, as USPS is a private entity.

But what do the feds care about strictly legal, anyway? They do what THEY want to do.

What do I do? I often stop by the post office whilst riding my bicycle.... handgun in jersey pocket. Part of why I GOT my CPL is for personal protection out there, alone, on the bike. So, now, do I not carry when I leave home, thus allowing the postal regs to violate my 2A right? Do I take it off and put it into the (unsecure, unlocked) bag on the back of the bike, available to anyone? Do I leave it in the jersey pocket and figure it really IS concealed?

There needs to be a change in those federal laws..... this is insane....

Correction to chevfan3: Title 39CFR232.1(l) not Title 36 on post office. Seems pretty clear regardless of what anyone says or has eluded to on this thread, that there is a significant gray area regarding a firearm and post office property including parking lot. Sounds crazy to be out and about and then want to purchase some stamps and you have to go home and get rid of your firearm. Let's face it, you secure the firearm in your car and do your business and no one will ever know or even have a problem. One thing that is obvious is that as a minimum you should not be CC on the post office property and should probably secure the firearm before you enter the parking lot; just seems to make sense based on ambiguity and varied replies on this particular situation.

Nice regulations but they have not stopped folks from "Going Postal" so once again the laws protect the criminal, when they are holding hostages, the "Well Armed Swat Team" is "Surrounding" the building an telling the folks inside to remain calm, damn right, they are calm because they are outside and very well armed.

Exclamation leaving a gun in a vehicle when visiting a Post Office.

[B][I]I use to manage a gun shop in Phoenix, AZ and I can not tell you how many times people came in to replace guns that were stolen from their vehicles! They said I had it under the seat, in the glove box, behind the seat, etc! If anyone is going to leave a gun in a vehicle, buy a gun safe and bolt it down!
    We are supposed to be responsible gun owners, hiding a gun under the seat is not a responsible action of a responsible gun owner. Leaving a gun under, behind or anywhere in a car and not locked up or secured is one of the ways that our legally owned weapons become guns on the streets in the hands of drive by shooters and gang members.
    I got to the point that I would not allow the sale of a gun to a person, who lost a gun in that manner, unless they bought a gun safe to go with it!
    God help the person who causes a gun to end up on the street in this manner and that gun ends up killing an innocent person! You might as well have pulled the trigger yourself! Think about this: what if a gang member would steal your gun and then by just a random chance end up shooting your wife, daughter, mother or any other of your loved ones. You have to remember that that gun is your responsibility and it will end up killing someone if it is stolen!!! The only question is: Who and when?
    CARRY IT: OR LOCK IT UP IN A BOLTED DOWN GUN SAFE, THERE ARE NO OTHER CHOICES

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but for me, I've got to think 'dominoes'.

I'm pretty sure after 30 days my job would no longer be waiting for me. After that, it's just a power dive.

No thanks.

I certainly wasn't hinting at "it's only 30 days, just do it"....I was more asking if because it's only 30 days, is it considered a felony?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast