Concealed carry at the post office - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry at the post office

Quote Originally Posted by tionico View Post
    USPS is a strange beast... they are not, strictly speaking, a government entity, the buildings are not "federal" buildings, and yet federal law prohibits carry in them.... and, strictly speaking, having a firearm in the trunk of your car in the parking lot at the PO is STILL "being in possession of a firearm on POSTAL PROPERTY".

Further, federal law certainly does trump state laws... though it should not, as USPS is a private entity.

But what do the feds care about strictly legal, anyway? They do what THEY want to do.

What do I do? I often stop by the post office whilst riding my bicycle.... handgun in jersey pocket. Part of why I GOT my CPL is for personal protection out there, alone, on the bike. So, now, do I not carry when I leave home, thus allowing the postal regs to violate my 2A right? Do I take it off and put it into the (unsecure, unlocked) bag on the back of the bike, available to anyone? Do I leave it in the jersey pocket and figure it really IS concealed?

There needs to be a change in those federal laws..... this is insane....
    You've got a few errors there. Many POs are indeed on US Gov't Property You'll find the US Property signs on them.. The PO, despite what many think, is a US Gov't entity.
    From wiki.
    The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an independent agency of the United States government, established in 1971 as an "independent establishment of the executive branch", responsible for providing postal service in the United States. It is one of the few government agencies explicitly authorized by the United States Constitution.
    Many POs are on private leased property and many rural carriers are contract carriers. But the USPS itself is not a private entity.

Same thing applies to some state gov't positions. You can have jobs that are part of the state budget, you can have jobs that are taxing districts. Both of which have the governor as the CEO. But the taxing district employees are not state employees but are part of the state's retirement system. State Agency vs Agency of the State.

us. Code title 18 no deadly weapons on federal property. Concealed permits are state issued they are not recoganized on federal property

Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    us. Code title 18 no deadly weapons on federal property. Concealed permits are state issued they are not recoganized on federal property
    Not totally true. National Parks and National Forests allow guns in many places.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Not totally true. National Parks and National Forests allow guns in many places.
    The 18 USC 930 prohibition of firearms is not "on federal property". It is "in Federal facilities."

United States Code: Title 18,930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities | LII / Legal Information Institute

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(g) As used in this section:
    (1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
    Firearms were never prohibited on National Park land under 18 USC 930. Firearms were prohibited on National Park land under the CFR enacted by the Secretary of the Interior. Firearms are prohibited in National Park buildings under 18 USC 930. Congress removed the power from the Secretary of the Interior to ban firearms on National Park land.

Just like firearms are not prohibited in the parking lot of a Post Office under 18 USC 930. Firearms are prohibited in the parking lot of a Post Officer under 39 CFR 232.11. Firearms are prohibited in the Post Office building by 18 USC 930 AND 39 CFR 232.11 (although they can't convict you under 18 USC 930 unless the proper signs are posted at the entrances to the building, and I haven't seen one yet.)

Firearms are not prohibited on military installation land by 18 USC 930. Firearms are prohibited on military installation land by the orders of the Commander of that military installation. Firearms are prohibited in the buildings of a military installation by 18 USC 930.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Just my opinion but they are, from what I've read, on government land, so in MOST cases, you aren't allowed to carry on them. There are always going to be exceptions, but for the most part, if it is federal ground, I wouldn't carry there. If it was a federal shooting range, then yes, I would probably carry no matter what. But like they always, if it's concealed, who's going to know? If it's not, then you're doing something wrong. Moral of the story, Don't carry to a post office. If you do, keep it concealed, and no one will notice, but if you do, realize you're taking a risk on losing you're CPL. Just my two sense.

Agreed, Rush

I wouldn't want to be the fool that finds out....

8. Quote Originally Posted by rushfan24 View Post
    Just my opinion but they are, from what I've read, on government land, so in MOST cases, you aren't allowed to carry on them. There are always going to be exceptions, but for the most part, if it is federal ground, I wouldn't carry there.
    So, you won't carry in a National Park?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. concealed carry at post office

My concern with the "if they don't know you're carrying it's not a problem" approach has always been the Murphy's Law factor. For example, what if you're entering the post office parking lot and a local patrol officer notices you have a burned out brake light or some other minor infraction. The officer pulls in next to you and begins a traffic stop. Your name is run through the computer and it comes back that you have a concealed carry permit. I think you can see where this is going and it's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    So, you won't carry in a National Park?
    As with anything, there are exceptions. I would carry just about everywhere I go. I just wouldn't want to carry somewhere that might be considered illegal. Yes I want to be protected everywhere I go, but I want to keep that right. I wouldn't want to lose my right to carry over carrying into a post office. If it's concealed, it will stay that way unless something arises, and even then you should use your head before drawing. What I'm trying to say is use common sense and you should be fine. If there is no sign, and you do do it, then I guess if you ever got tried, you could use it in your defense!

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Firearms are not prohibited on military installation land by 18 USC 930. Firearms are prohibited on military installation land by the orders of the Commander of that military installation. Firearms are prohibited in the buildings of a military installation by 18 USC 930.
    In fact, some military bases do allow hunting in some areas. But you don't want to be armed if you ever get on the wrong side of this sign.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast