Concealed carry at the post office - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry at the post office

Thumbs up More money to buy guns.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    As soon as they release the money in the budget for my raise!
    Well do us a favor and buy some more guns when your raise goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by rdc2co View Post

§ 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
    (d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to—
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.
    (h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.
    That right there says lawful puposes, which self defense is. And (h) applies to all of the POs I use. They do not post at the doors. Hopefully the PO in the test case is posted the same ways ours are.

4. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    That right there says lawful puposes, which self defense is. And (h) applies to all of the POs I use. They do not post at the doors. Hopefully the PO in the test case is posted the same ways ours are.
    Cool. Then they will only prosecute you under 39 CFR 232.1 and not under 18 USC 930. No big deal to them. It does lower your maximum sentence to 30 days and your maximum fine to $5,000, though... win for you on that one.

Do you have $5,000 extra floating in an account and 30 days vacation time built up to try it?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Cool. Then they will only prosecute you under 39 CFR 232.1 and not under 18 USC 930. No big deal to them. It does lower your maximum sentence to 30 days and your maximum fine to $5,000, though... win for you on that one.

Do you have $5,000 extra floating in an account and 30 days vacation time built up to try it?
    I thought sure it was only 30 days and/or $50 the last time I read it.

And heck, I've been on vacation for the last 7+ years now.

And that is why I said I'm glad there is a test case. Then maybe there will be some direction as to where it stands.

Cool. Then they will only prosecute you under 39 CFR 232.1 and not under 18 USC 930. No big deal to them.

PO says 930 doesn't apply to them anyway.

Title 39 CFR 232.1(l) Weapons and explosives . Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes

7. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    PO says 930 doesn't apply to them anyway.
    Actually, what "Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation" means is that no law such as a state's CCW law will overrule the prohibition of firearms at the Post Office, causing carry to be legal there.

You will find this sign posted at Post Offices, notice the reference to 18 USC 930:

However, the 39 CFR 232.1 exists to create even more restrictive prohibitions at the Post Office than 18 USC 930. For example, 18 USC 930 requires the signs to be conspicuously posted at the entrances to the facility, and no signs=no convictions. 39 CFR 232.1 only requires the signs to be posted on the property, not at the entrances, AND there is no consequence listed in 39 CFR 232.1 for the signs not being there.

18 USC 930 would not prohibit storage of a firearm in a vehicle in the parking lot, but 39 CFR 232.1 does.

Here's a version straight from .gov website:
    http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/posters/pos158/welcome.htm
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Actually, what "Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation" means is that no law such as a state's CCW law will overrule the prohibition of firearms at the Post Office, causing carry to be legal there.

You will find this sign posted at Post Offices, notice the reference to 18 USC 930:

However, the 39 CFR 232.1 exists to create even more restrictive prohibitions at the Post Office than 18 USC 930. For example, 18 USC 930 requires the signs to be conspicuously posted at the entrances to the facility, and no signs=no convictions. 39 CFR 232.1 only requires the signs to be posted on the property, not at the entrances, AND there is no consequence listed in 39 CFR 232.1 for the signs not being there.

18 USC 930 would not prohibit storage of a firearm in a vehicle in the parking lot, but 39 CFR 232.1 does.

Here's a version straight from .gov website:
    Poster 158 - Possession of Fire Arms and Other Dangerous Weapons on Postal Service Property is Prohibited by Law
    Funny how they fail to list the exceptions that they cite in their sign. And again from a previous post, who is going to search your vehicle? That right stops at the signed, fenced area for the PO. Nothing says the PO security is allowed to search outside their fence without a warrant. There is the gotcha of your vehicle being your property and private property. There are no signs at our PO saying Federal Property except on the fenced areas. Plus you can ship firearms by mail if you have an FFL. Long guns even if not one inside the state you are mailing from.

PS: Playing devil's advocate as I disagree with them defining them gun free zones. And our PO doesn't even have the sign in color saying no guns. It's a Xerox b/w copy and poor quality at that. Not even sure it has everything on yours on it.

In PA it's a no-no. Just leave it in the car...

10. I can't believe so many people are mis-informed. It is illegal to carry in the post office, period.

Quote Originally Posted by krisjs1767 View Post
    My concern with the "if they don't know you're carrying it's not a problem" approach has always been the Murphy's Law factor. For example, what if you're entering the post office parking lot and a local patrol officer notices you have a burned out brake light or some other minor infraction. The officer pulls in next to you and begins a traffic stop. Your name is run through the computer and it comes back that you have a concealed carry permit. I think you can see where this is going and it's not good.
    Just being devil's advocate here. First off, in Michigan, we MUST notify a LEO when in a vehicle and pulled over, that we have a CPL and whether or not we are carrying.

My local Post Office is in a strip mall with several other businesses including a restaurant. I go to the restaurant atleast a couple of times a year. They have a common parking lot. The entrance to the post office is shared with another business. So, what part of the parking lot and sidewalk would be considered Post Office Property? Would it be immediately infront of the post office and if so, how far out does that extend? 10 feet, 20 feet?

What is everyones take on this?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast