Concealed carry at the post office - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry at the post office

Quote Originally Posted by mckaloz1 View Post
    Just being devil's advocate here. First off, in Michigan, we MUST notify a LEO when in a vehicle and pulled over, that we have a CPL and whether or not we are carrying.
    Almost. If you are not carrying you do NOT have to inform that you have a permit.

28.425f Concealed pistol license; possession; disclosure to police officer; violation; penalty; seizure; forfeiture; "peace officer" defined.

Sec. 5f.

...snip...

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mckaloz1 View Post
    My local Post Office is in a strip mall with several other businesses including a restaurant. I go to the restaurant atleast a couple of times a year. They have a common parking lot. The entrance to the post office is shared with another business. So, what part of the parking lot and sidewalk would be considered Post Office Property? Would it be immediately infront of the post office and if so, how far out does that extend? 10 feet, 20 feet?

What is everyones take on this?
    If the PO is in a strip center with a common parking lot then the only area prohibited once you step inside the PO's door. The sidewalk is common ground and is not prohibited. Parking would only be prohibited if the PO had dedicated parking spaces...rare occurrence I would think.

3. Quote Originally Posted by mckaloz1 View Post
    So, what part of the parking lot and sidewalk would be considered Post Office Property? Would it be immediately infront of the post office and if so, how far out does that extend? 10 feet, 20 feet?

What is everyones take on this?
    None. Unless there are parking spaces marked for Post Office Use Only. Right up to the door should be strip mall property, not under the control and charge of the US Postal Service.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

It's pretty clear cut. No fed facilities. Can't carry at the VA, Post Office, IRS or any fed gov't office.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Agreed with Constmantx

Quote Originally Posted by constmantx View Post
    I can't believe so many people are mis-informed. It is illegal to carry in the post office, period.
    I mentioned this to my Captain, and the Major was just behind me. They agreed and told me of a guy he arrested for exactly that reason. You are right, Constmantx. For everyone else, I wouldn't consider it, even though I'm LEO. I'm not willing to be that other guy.

Thank you BC1 for the one and only answer that means anything. Many of you sound like washerwomen gossiping with measurements and a little here and a little there and magic property lines etc etc etc. For heavens sake you are CC and you probably have never been strip searched or car searched as you drove your car into the post office parking lot. It is 100% certain that you cannot CC in the post office proper. So you take it off BEFORE you enter their parking lot if you are going into the office, lest some idiot know it all calls the neighborhood swat team on you, and you leave it in place if all you are doing is dropping a package at one of the drive by mail boxes. Enough already--how simple can this be?

8. Post Office Property

Quote Originally Posted by constmantx View Post
    I can't believe so many people are mis-informed. It is illegal to carry in the post office, period.
    Cite please? What law makes it "illegal to carry at the post office, period"?

Hey m1: Some people have too much time on their hands and in this stupid country you can sue for about anything anytime. Absolutely ridiculous and a waste of time. Too bad there are not penalties for losers in law suits brought by them like a penalty and paying for the defense lawyers--it would end frivolous lawsuit crap, but we all know who really run this country-lawyers----they make the laws, they run the government and they are the judges--talk about a monopoly and a very sick society.

10. Quote Originally Posted by scottdls View Post
    Cite please? What law makes it "illegal to carry at the post office, period"?
    You are JOKING, right? Second post in this thread: 36 CFR 232.1.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Those suckers at USPS are where the term "Going Postal" got started! Too dangerous going to the Post Office anyway, just send email LOL!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast