Concealed carry at the post office - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry at the post office

Hate to drag it up but did find out a little more about our local main PO. Turns out that they would have a very hard time with someone leaving their weapon in the vehicle before entering. The main PO is on leased property so the building is off limits as is the fenced area. Parking lot is iffy. And as the PO inspectors can only check vehicles entering or leaving the fenced areas, doubt if anything will ever be said to anyone. Which also might explain why no signs are on the main entrance doors and only inside the counter area at this PO. Mail boxes are outside the counter area.

But here's what will tee some people off, the rent is more than $30,000 a month. With the USPS having to pay all the operating/maintenance bills.

Lile you say S&W, enough is enough. Lets face it has anyone ever been searched entering a PO parking lot with their car? Has anyone ever been found with their gun on their person or in the car when entering a PO parking lot. Unless you are lying in a reply or are driving around just looking for the law to stop you because you are acting like a complete moron, the answer is no. Bottom line---do what you wanna do and odds are nothing---absolutely nothing will happen--you are, after all, CC, which means concealed. If you feel an ounce of responsibility about being CC, you follow the law, even if its idiocy means you, in most cases, cannot even have the firearm in your car. Did like the $30K, however. Hey, its all Chinese money anyway.

Of course, in a must-inform state like Ohio, you could find yourself in a sticky situation if there is a parking lot accident. What do you do when the cop shows up to take the accident report?

Obey Ohio law and inform the cop you are licensed and have a gun with you? Saying nothing won't work because Ohio ties carry licenses to drivers licenses. As soon as the cop runs your license, he will know you have a concealed handgun license. If you haven't informed, what will you say when he asks if you are carrying?

If you inform him of your gun, I guess you could hope he doesn't bother passing that info to the Postal Inspectors.

Great reply rt48. It amazes me how these forum replies can come up with something that I miss. You have stated a very obvious flaw in trying to sneak around the law. Since I do not CC very much and a trip to the PO as I go around town in daylight is typical non-CC, this does not affect me. Those 24/7 CC guys out there should be wary though, although having the gun in the glove compartment and not directly on you is not, I believe, a cause to inform an LEO, even if you have a CCWP (at least in SC). If the firearm is not on your person, you are not CC. Anyone in SC can have a gun in their glove compartment, CC or not.

Quote Originally Posted by rt48 View Post
    Of course, in a must-inform state like Ohio, you could find yourself in a sticky situation if there is a parking lot accident. What do you do when the cop shows up to take the accident report?

Obey Ohio law and inform the cop you are licensed and have a gun with you? Saying nothing won't work because Ohio ties carry licenses to drivers licenses. As soon as the cop runs your license, he will know you have a concealed handgun license. If you haven't informed, what will you say when he asks if you are carrying?

If you inform him of your gun, I guess you could hope he doesn't bother passing that info to the Postal Inspectors.
    That same problem pops up with those who are from out of state visiting Ohio and get stopped when/after going thru a GFSZ if your CWP is tied to your D/L. Or if you leave Ohio and travel to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Great reply rt48. It amazes me how these forum replies can come up with something that I miss. You have stated a very obvious flaw in trying to sneak around the law. Since I do not CC very much and a trip to the PO as I go around town in daylight is typical non-CC, this does not affect me. Those 24/7 CC guys out there should be wary though, although having the gun in the glove compartment and not directly on you is not, I believe, a cause to inform an LEO, even if you have a CCWP (at least in SC). If the firearm is not on your person, you are not CC. Anyone in SC can have a gun in their glove compartment, CC or not.
    Is that a flaw in the PO law...or in the Must Inform law?

Look, those of you that think the Second Amendment gives you the right to carry in the post office are preaching to the choir. Should you be allowed to carry where ever you want? I believe so. The reality is, if I walked into the PO bristling with enough weapons to look like a Pancho Villa want to be, most of the people behind the counter would pretend not to notice. If the post master saw a suspicious bulge under my clothes he would call the cops with glee. If liberal Lucy Dogood is unhappy that you can legally pack at at church (you can here)or the grocery store don't for one minute think that she won't drop a dime on you to the cops. Forget the thirty days or a year in jail, if you have an extra $10,000 or $50,000 to protect your right to carry for the rest of your life use it to file an injunction or other legal action. Is it a waste of time and money? Not if enough of the get filed. Better, contribute to the campaign of a pro gun candidate or run for office yourself.
    Do you really think it is going to matter that there is no sign on the door? I have found no law in my State that would prohibit me from carrying a loaded gun into a police station therefore it is legal. NO WAY am I going to do that. Legal or not that would be asking for trouble. There are ways to fight the system. Being stupid is not illegal it is also not required.
    We have options people, buy your postage online, schedule a pickup, use Mailboxes Etc. or a similar service, UPS/FedEx, emails, drive by drop boxes, I'm sure you can add to this list. Probably ten thousand people will "pack heavy" in the post office for everyone arrested but that one makes us all look bad. Please, don't pack where you are not supposed to. If you get caught you will probably loose your right to carry or own a gun. Someone else will hear of your travail and decide that it is just not worth the risk and we lost someone else. Every time someone loses their right to carry or just gives it up our country becomes a more dangerous place.
    We carry a gun because of the remote chance that we might need to fight a physical battle. We tend to forget that we are in a political battle every day to maintain this right so that we might retain all our other rights. Are you politically active, good write a few letters. If you are not politically active why not.
    Okay, you caught me the real reason I don't want you packing in the post office is that I am a tax payer and I am cheap. I don't want to pay your room and board, not even for a month.

Comment by Caribou

You are absolutely correct. I hope someone took this comment seriously

You are not allowd, Federal Felony, however if it is concealed properly...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefmeister View Post
    You are not allowd, Federal Felony, however if it is concealed properly...
    Then it's a concealed felony???

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast