Obtaining a permit in CA.... non-resident military

Thread: Obtaining a permit in CA.... non-resident military

1. Obtaining a permit in CA.... non-resident military

So I've been trying to do a bit of research and haven't found an answer yet. I'm a resident of New Jersey stationed in California on active duty orders. I would like to carry concealed, but was told I can't even apply for the permit unless I become a resident of this horrid state. So a few questions have come to mind.

1. Is this correct or is there a way to apply for a CA permit without becoming a resident?
    2. Is there a state that offers non-resident permits that CA accepts?

Quote Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
    So I've been trying to do a bit of research and haven't found an answer yet. I'm a resident of New Jersey stationed in California on active duty orders. I would like to carry concealed, but was told I can't even apply for the permit unless I become a resident of this horrid state. So a few questions have come to mind.

1. Is this correct or is there a way to apply for a CA permit without becoming a resident?
    2. Is there a state that offers non-resident permits that CA accepts?

First, to try to get a permit in CA, you need to be politically connected, or know someone high in the PD/SO where you live...

Answer to 1: You must be a resident. If CA offers a California ID and you obtain one, you being in the military, you automatically become a "resident" even though you might have a NJ driver's license... (I'm in the CG and that is how it works everywhere I've been... i currently am considered a LA "resident" even though my residency is WV).

Answer to 2: Cali does not honor any permits.

Best thing I can think of is to live in a rural county where they are a little bit more liberal on their issuance...

Basically, you'd have a better chance of seeing a blizzard in death valley in July than of getting a permit in most counties... I would resign my commision if the CG ever tried to send me to Kaliforinistan.
    - NH (Resident), FL (NR), ME (NR), PA (NR), CT (NR), AZ (NR) PERMIT HOLDER
    (I travel to those states frequently for various reasons)
    http://gunfacts.info/

Quote Originally Posted by Rachkir View Post
    Answer to 2: Cali does not honor any permits.
    Or issue very many of them for that matter.

CA leaves issuing of permits up to the locales. Mostly the 'good cause' is used to deny to any but the politically connected. Several of the more rural counties are virtually 'shall issue' because of the local political situation. Unfortunately, as stated above, CA does not recognize anybody else's permit or issue permits to non-residents.

I find it annoying that I must disarm in the state I have to travel in where I most need protection. In fact, I have considered dual-residency as my CA address would be one of those almost-shall-issue counties.

But, when I actually consider CA residency...better sense prevails and I refrain.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam