is .380 enough gun? - Page 10
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I'm with Ken. Situational awareness is number 1 on my list for defense. Why in the world would you be going INTO a situation, when you can be GOING AWAY from a situation. I guess the nomiker Wild Bill has some meaning. Personally, I think bravado comes easily to all of us as we sit at a computer playing dirty harry.
    There are people who have to go to places where the danger factor is elevated. Delivery drivers, outside sales staff, utility workers and the list goes on. These folks are average ordinary citizens who are just trying to bring home the bacon, and I doubt if they would knowingly go into a situation.

To these people, situational awareness is vital to your survival in a weird and sometimes cruel world, but you should always be aware of your surroundings. Don't drop your guard just because you are in a "safe" environment. I am not a paranoid person, but I am prepared and I think this might be the OP's original reason for posting. Is the .380 enough?

Train and carry for the real world and its applications. Carrying a cop is too much work, carrying a shotgun will get you interrogated and slingshots just aren't enough. If you can get by with something that starts with a "4" in the caliber, then do it. If not, carry what you can, but please carry something. The .380 will work and the morgues have had their share of customers to prove it.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum; qui uictoriam cupit, milites inbuat diligenter; qui secundos optat euentus, dimicet arte, non casu.

Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group

Quote Originally Posted by xzeler8 View Post
    380 is enough gun, hell 22 is enough gun with proper bullet placement. Bottom line: Anything is better than nothing at all
    Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot.

Shot Placement is King
    Penetration is Queen
    Everything else is Angels Dancing on the Head of a Pin
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

4. Re: is .380 enough gun?

Just about every thug carrys a 380. If you watch Crime 360 or first 48, you will see they die with 380 in body mass shots.

5. Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I'm with Ken. Situational awareness is number 1 on my list for defense. Why in the world would you be going INTO a situation, when you can be GOING AWAY from a situation. I guess the nomiker Wild Bill has some meaning. Personally, I think bravado comes easily to all of us as we sit at a computer playing dirty harry.
    Exactly. A gun is our LAST line of defense. Our first line is where we go, who we associate with, our life behavior. Ncpermit has a point too. Some people are required to go into certain situations and places. But the rest of us should make conscious decisions and actions to avoid them.

I usually carry my little Taurus PT-25 .25acp Pocket Pistol when I go out during the day. The little pistol carries 9+1 and I carry an extra magazine. I figure if 19 rds don't stop someone, they will slow them enough that I can beat them to death with my Ark. Hickory Root Cane. By the way, I own a .380 TCP, a 9mm 709ss, and a PT145 - all perfect carry weapons, by I prefer my little Mouser instead.

to all,

a solid center of mass HIT is far better than a NEAR MISS with a .44MAG - a .380ACP is small, flat & quite deadly at close range.

that's all that anyone can ask for a self-defense pocket pistol.

youyrs, TN46

8. If someone tells you that a .380 isn't enough gun, ask them if you can shoot them with it. If they say no, then you have enough gun.

Hey packin: Liked your answer. My keltec P3AT is easy to carry and hold in my hand and based on recent results practicing point shooting, I can discharge that sucker into body mass a lot quicker than a holstered bigger gun with lasers and sights. I firmly believe that any possibility of my discharging a firearm will only occur at distances less than 15ft and judging from the holes in my target I have little doubt that the 380 will protect me. There is always "what if" but as dirty harry says--"man has to know his limitations"--I am not getting into "gun battles" at 20plus ft, and I am not going to burden myself with an elephant sized handgun which I will never carry even if I owned one--I will run away or never put myself in a situation where the possiblity could even exist. Being 68 and having lived in NYC for most of those years I have NEVER been in a situation that even remotely approached the "if I only had a firearm to protect me" scenario, so the what ifs are truly remote. Just sayin--to each his own. Hopefully none of us---380 or big 45 never have to rely on it.

Quote Originally Posted by packinp238 View Post
    If someone tells you that a .380 isn't enough gun, ask them if you can shoot them with it. If they say no, then you have enough gun.
    That's the oft repeated trite answer I get from lots of semi-informed respondents. Let's rephrase the question.
    Are you willing to let me shoot you with a BB gun?
    Are you willing to let me shoot with with a wrist rocket slingshot?
    Are you willing to let me shoot you with a blow-gun?
    Are you willing to let me shoot you with a .22 short?

If they say no, then you have enough gun, right?

Please remember that in defensive situations we're shooting to stop the threat. There is no one gun/caliber combination that will do that every time against every possible attacker under all possible conditions. Most well considered opinions will tell you that the .380 is at best barely adequate for defensive use. But if that's the largest caliber you can accurately shoot, it's better than nothing.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot."
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danhammondsr View Post
    That's the oft repeated trite answer I get from lots of semi-informed respondents. Let's rephrase the question.
    Are you willing to let me shoot you with a BB gun?
    Are you willing to let me shoot with with a wrist rocket slingshot?
    Are you willing to let me shoot you with a blow-gun?
    Are you willing to let me shoot you with a .22 short?

If they say no, then you have enough gun, right?

Please remember that in defensive situations we're shooting to stop the threat. There is no one gun/caliber combination that will do that every time against every possible attacker under all possible conditions. Most well considered opinions will tell you that the .380 is at best barely adequate for defensive use. But if that's the largest caliber you can accurately shoot, it's better than nothing.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, "Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot."
    And, if possible, practice/train so you can handle bigger guns. The "mousegun" may be enough, but having the option of a larger caliber is a good thing.

Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast