is .380 enough gun? - Page 13
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomhusker View Post
    .380 is plenty with a good shot. Carrying a .45 and not knowing how to use it is like putting doilies on a bowling ball. It ain't gonna do any good.
    I don't get your point, as a pencil is plenty with good placement (i.e., a good shot). I had written a lot to argue against carrying the .380 (in this spot), but deleted it all and added the next paragraph.
    To each his/her own. I will continue to carry a 45 or 40 in my everyday travels,routines and carry a 9mm while walking, running, doing yard work, etc.
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

This is one that will never go away, my wife and I have muliple pistols in everything fromm 22LR to 454, and IMHO, a 380 is not enough gun for the general person with a CCW permit, unless your very close, 6 to 8ft, shot placement is to critical, what i meen is a 380 in the leg or arm is not going to stop a determined BG where a 40 or 45 will, but on the same hand if it meens carrying a gun or not by all meens if what you have if it is a 380 or even a 22 carry it, the only caliber I absolutly will not endorse is a 25acp I think with a 25 you may be better off carrying a roll of quarters or even a rock, I have shot glass soda bottles at 20 ft and it didn't break it fell over, and at a local range a women accidentaly shot herself in the hand trying to unjam her little POS 25 and the round did not even go threw her hand, with her palm over the muzzle of the barrel, now exactly what kind of protection would that be

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer:241400
    This is one that will never go away, my wife and I have muliple pistols in everything fromm 22LR to 454, and IMHO, a 380 is not enough gun for the general person with a CCW permit, unless your very close, 6 to 8ft, shot placement is to critical, what i meen is a 380 in the leg or arm is not going to stop a determined BG where a 40 or 45 will, but on the same hand if it meens carrying a gun or not by all meens if what you have if it is a 380 or even a 22 carry it, the only caliber I absolutly will not endorse is a 25acp I think with a 25 you may be better off carrying a roll of quarters or even a rock, I have shot glass soda bottles at 20 ft and it didn't break it fell over, and at a local range a women accidentaly shot herself in the hand trying to unjam her little POS 25 and the round did not even go threw her hand, with her palm over the muzzle of the barrel, now exactly what kind of protection would that be
    I don't think a .40 or .45 in the arm or leg will stop a determined bad guy. Maybe if you hit a large vessel, and even then a 380 has enough penetration for that. Because most self defense shootings are within the range (6-8 feet), 380 has more than enough punch.

Ultimately we shouldn't rely on the effectiveness of a caliber when hitting an appendage. We should be practicing center mass, that is the fastest and most reliable way to stop a threat.

I do believe bigger is better. Carry the biggest caliber you can handle. The problem I had, when I was a cc only, I couldn't conceal a larger caliber handgun on my body type when it was 100° or higher, When it's that hot, bad guys tend to wear just a tshirt, and I never felt under powered.

Now that I open carry, I do carry my larger calibers year round. The 380 is a back up, and I trust my life on it still.

Witnessed the unstopping power of a 9mm, one guy took 6 rounds while returning 3 rounds to the other guy. Both lived and were out of hospital the next day. I Did by my girlfriend the S&W 380 Bodyguard with a box of Hornady Tap ammo. The gun shoots great and hits hard for a small round. But I will stick to my Kimber Custom TLEII 45 and backup Chiappa Rhino 357mag both loaded with Hornady Tap ammo. 1 round landed anywhere from either gun and its over.

Rember a 380 on your person is better than a 45 in your glove box

Rember a 380 on your person is better than a 45 in your glove box

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I don't think a .40 or .45 in the arm or leg will stop a determined bad guy. Maybe if you hit a large vessel, and even then a 380 has enough penetration for that. Because most self defense shootings are within the range (6-8 feet), 380 has more than enough punch.

Ultimately we shouldn't rely on the effectiveness of a caliber when hitting an appendage. We should be practicing center mass, that is the fastest and most reliable way to stop a threat.

I do believe bigger is better. Carry the biggest caliber you can handle. The problem I had, when I was a cc only, I couldn't conceal a larger caliber handgun on my body type when it was 100° or higher, When it's that hot, bad guys tend to wear just a tshirt, and I never felt under powered.

Now that I open carry, I do carry my larger calibers year round. The 380 is a back up, and I trust my life on it still.
    I guess I have yo agree with you, but still, i just can't trust a 380 on its own, like you I do carry one, but only as a back to the Sig 40 or Glock......the only other ***** I have with most 380s is that most people, not all, but the majority will buy the little gun, fire off a mag full or two, then it go's in the pocket and all but forgoten about, and these people feel safe, probably never even cleaning it, you may get away wit a Glock that way, but some of those little pistols, are just not nothing I would trust

With the newer self defense rounds I feel confident carrying my LCP when something larger isn't practicle.

10. Quote Originally Posted by David Manley:241438
    Witnessed the unstopping power of a 9mm, one guy took 6 rounds while returning 3 rounds to the other guy. Both lived and were out of hospital the next day. I Did by my girlfriend the S&W 380 Bodyguard with a box of Hornady Tap ammo. The gun shoots great and hits hard for a small round. But I will stick to my Kimber Custom TLEII 45 and backup Chiappa Rhino 357mag both loaded with Hornady Tap ammo. 1 round landed anywhere from either gun and its over.
    No. And 1 gun fight proves nothing. How about the thousands who've died from something as small as 22lr? Just a fluke? Sorry cowboy but you live in a fantasy world and I pray you don't miss with that first shot, lining up the second might just be the end of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer:241781

There'sI guess I have yo agree with you, but still, i just can't trust a 380 on its own, like you I do carry one, but only as a back to the Sig 40 or Glock......the only other ***** I have with most 380s is that most people, not all, but the majority will buy the little gun, fire off a mag full or two, then it go's in the pocket and all but forgoten about, and these people feel safe, probably never even cleaning it, you may get away wit a Glock that way, but some of those little pistols, are just not nothing I would trust
    You dont need to guess..there is nothing wrong with agreeing with me muahaha :) I have not met anyone who pocket carries and doesn't clean it on a regular basis, but i can see where that happens. I don't understand the "it's so comfortable I forget about" it mentality when it comes to any aspect of firearms. Especially with pocket carry, cleaning is crucial!!! I practice with both my firearms I carry, 60/40 primary/secondary. I absolutely love shooting my p238.

Recently I have been around a couple 300+ lb 6'2" giants (who were being very abusive verbally to their wives, it was pretty sad to see) and I had a bad thought run through my mind. That thought was, "my .380 probably would stop him, I know my .40 would stop him." In the end there are some places I can't go with my .40, and I will rely on my .380, training, and aggression if I am ever on the recieving end of a giant. The lack of confidence I had in my backup against someone that size was a bit disturbing, luckily I don't see giants like that around very much.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley:241438
    1 round landed anywhere from either gun and its over.
    Ruins you're credibility....that is a completely false statement, I hope no one reads that and believes it.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast