is .380 enough gun? - Page 14
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Is a .380 enough gun??

No. You need at least a 9mm.
    No. You need at least a .40.
    No. you need at least a .357.
    No. You need at least a .45.........a .44mag........a .500 mag......

There's always going to be somebody who's gonna tell you to carry a bigger gun. Carry what you feel comfortable shooting. I'm pretty sure no threat has ever said "That's only a .380. They don't hurt".
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    But I will stick to my Kimber Custom TLEII 45 and backup Chiappa Rhino 357mag both loaded with Hornady Tap ammo. 1 round landed anywhere from either gun and its over.
    Even though I usually carry a Kimber/Colt/Para/Springfield/FN in 45ACP, and yes sometimes an M&P 40, or even my SIG 229 (a 9mm); the statement that 1 (one) round from either a 45 or 357 Mag (with Hornady "TAP" ammo) and "it's over" is so far fetched and delusional, I question the true intent/meaning that the author was trying to convey with his statement. We know that if someone (anyone) is coming after you, they are obviously not in their right mind (or they would not be attacking). Maybe they are doped out on drugs, skitso, or whatever, they are not in their "right minds". That being said, their have been many accounts given by American servicemen (in Iraq & Afghanistan) where they fired into and hit; not 5, 10, or even 20 rounds into an enemy, but 100's of rounds, so much, that "chunks" of meat were flying off, and they kept coming at them. They were so doped up and hyped up that they continued the assult/attack. Yes, of course they were dead. They knew they were dead (or going to die), and continued attacking (killing American Servicemen as they did). My post is not to argue the 5.56 mmm round and its lack of kinetic energy; but only to point out that a fanatically determined Bad Guy (and ANY Bad Guy should be considered a fanatic) is probably not going to stop from 1 (one) gunshot wound (unless it is an incapacitating/killing wound), then you would either be extremely lucky, or a sniper. Their are also many store vidios that show gunfights where the BG's run out of the store and get away (after being shot up), only to have the police find their bodies 2 or 3 blocks down the road. You shoot a BG with a .380 or even a 9mm, prepare to be in a gunfight; because if they can shoot also, what makes you think they wont?
    A prayer for all who have given an oath to God to (give their lives and) serve this great Country. ...And a moment of silence for all who gave their full measure....

Personally I prefer to carry a larger caliber but the main reason the mouseguns are so popular is the small size and the ease with which they can be carried on occasions where larger guns can not be carried with ease.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

At present I'm carrying a 40 cal Glock and a 1911 Colt, but I sure as hell would never want to be shot by a 380 at any range, and in case nobody thinks about it, ANY gun your carrying is better than none at all..........except maybe a 25...IMHO you would do more damage to a BG if you hit him with the gun instead of shooting him with it
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

I would think, and have done a lot of research, that the lowly .380 is a contender in the CC arena due to the type of bullts that are made today. The bullets of yester year were poor man stoppers, these new hollow points give the .380 some bite. I would not think that a .380 is a poor choice, unless you are in bear country, Then something larger would be appropriate!
    Endeavor to Persevere, Freedom is not Free

7. I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with 7 + 1 of Hornady Critical Defense and I feel fine with it. I believe if I hit someone center mass once or twice they will stop. Sure a .40 or .45 in center mass most likely puts them in the morgue, but if my .380 drops them in pain so they are not a threat, that's fine with me, if they live maybe they will think twice before bothering people.

And a .380 will penetrate a person's skull, two women near Seattle were both killed with 1 round from a .22 pistol to the head at close range. So I believe a .380 will work also.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with 7 + 1 of Hornady Critical Defense and I feel fine with it. I believe if I hit someone center mass once or twice they will stop. Sure a .40 or .45 in center mass most likely puts them in the morgue, but if my .380 drops them in pain so they are not a threat, that's fine with me, if they live maybe they will think twice before bothering people.

And a .380 will penetrate a person's skull, two women near Seattle were both killed with 1 round from a .22 pistol to the head at close range. So I believe a .380 will work also.

That's the kind of (Too much Hollywood) thinking that can get you killed.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

9. It is logical thinking. Most people with one or two rounds of .380 in center mass are gonna lose their desire for a fight.
    If not you keep shooting. But usually one or two in center mass and they are running or on the floor. When many bad guys realize they are shot they get very worried. There may be one once in awhile who still wants to fight, but as I said, if so keep shooting. Actually you have it wrong, in Hollywood movies bad guys get shot too many times and keep fighting. In real life they would be on the ground bleeding. Sure there is the tough, maybe drugged up guy who once in awhile fights like a Marine taking a beach-head, but he's not the majority. Most want to commit their crime and be gone.

We all enjoyed the fad with the .380
    Now let’s get serious and get back to .45 acp
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

11. I would give you this little wisdom. The 22lr has killed many folks over the years. The .380 is larger. Do not worry so much about the round your using and spend more time practicing. Anybody who tells you the ,380 is to small and will not stop a bg ask them if you you can shoot them with it I woudl bet you get ZERO volunteer. Do not forget to take into account modern defensive loads the .380 across the sea is known as the 9mm short. So if a 9mm is good the a slightly shorter 9mm should be as well. Of course If your shots fly true and hit there mark bigger is going to do mare damage. Carry what you feel comfortable with and as long as you TRAIN and learn to use it well your fine.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast