is .380 enough gun? - Page 16
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

I just have to ask, are you drinking the Kool Aid?
    If you consider that even 40S&W and 45 ACP are poor man stoppers, and some people think the .380 is the answer.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

If my .22LR was more reliable (it's pretty good, but not as good as my .40S&W) I'd gladly carry that. You can say all you want about ballistics testing, gelatin, FBI this and that, but the .22LR has been used as an assassin's caliber for a long time. It ricochets off bones, causing more damage. If you disagree to it's lethality, I'll gladly let you stand downrange while I fire.

A .380, or almost any round will do the job with proper placement. I carry the .40S&W because I used it for years as an officer, I know it works when I need it to, and I trust it with my life. It's saved my ass before, I'm sure it can save my ass again no problem.

A .380 to the heart is more effective than a .45ACP that missed. Whatever you chose, become proficient to the point where you can not only operate it with your eyes close, but can do the same one handed, weak handed, in awkward positions, etc. A situation is not going to allow you to think "okay, left foot back, right foot foward, extend left elbow.." and get into a "proper" Weaver stance. You may be on the ground, you may be in your vehicle, you may be seated; know how your firearm reacts and have a plan for almost every situation you can imagine. When you get there, learn and train more.

The .380 will do the job, but you have to choose between penetration (FMJs) and expansion (JHPs) since the .380 has a hard time penetrating much farther than 10" after expansion with a decent JHP. Since I want at least 12" and would prefer 14"-18" of penetration with expansion, I just cannot "warm up" to the .380.

With all the miniature nines out there that are scarcely larger, if at all, than the .380s, I am not sure why anyone sticks with the .380 anymore especially when they could easily "step up" to a "service caliber" in the Kahr PM9, SigP290, KelTec, and Diamondback, etc.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

5. While I don't carry a .380 now (30 years ago did carry a PPK) and now it is a .40, .45, or .357 Sig, it seems to me if all one has is a .380, well he or she really does not have to use it if it is determined not to be that effective. Can use a rock or fists....etc.
    Last edited by a1bigtuna; 08-24-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Another one that will never go away, I and most would agree a 380 hit in the right spot will kill the same as a 500, as I see it if you have a small light 380 that runs like a clock, with no issues great as most would not want to spend 500-600 dollars on a 380 pistol, and even with that theres no garranty it will function flawlessly, what I would be worryed about the most with a 380 is not weather it would kill or not, its the ability for the average carryer to get proper shot placement in a stressful situation, case in point how many times have we seen the police chase someone, pile out of the car and two cops unload there Glock 9mms or 40s in the direction of the BG and miss every shot, and they are suposedly trained, so i would say its not the fact the gun is a 380 its the fact that its small, light, conceals well, but is very tough to shoot IN A HIGH STRESS SITUATION, which is way differant than going to the range and getting quarter size groups at 10 yds
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Quote Originally Posted by maine04619 View Post
    I would give you this little wisdom. The 22lr has killed many folks over the years. The .380 is larger. Do not worry so much about the round your using and spend more time practicing. Anybody who tells you the ,380 is to small and will not stop a bg ask them if you you can shoot them with it I woudl bet you get ZERO volunteer. Do not forget to take into account modern defensive loads the .380 across the sea is known as the 9mm short. So if a 9mm is good the a slightly shorter 9mm should be as well. Of course If your shots fly true and hit there mark bigger is going to do mare damage. Carry what you feel comfortable with and as long as you TRAIN and learn to use it well your fine.
    I know I would't want to be shot with a 380!!!
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

8. I think I would not be using a .380 at 10 yards, my thinking is more like 3 yards (unless I am being shot at). I do not think about using a .40 or .45 at 10 yards, though I practice at 7, 10 and 15 yards.

9. Most times you shoot from 1 foot to 5 yards in an altercation....a .380 will put a hurt on someone at that distance.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
    The .380 will do the job, but you have to choose between penetration (FMJs) and expansion (JHPs) since the .380 has a hard time penetrating much farther than 10" after expansion with a decent JHP. Since I want at least 12" and would prefer 14"-18" of penetration with expansion, I just cannot "warm up" to the .380.
    The heart and the brain require less than 3" of penetration, 10" is more than enough.
    Now, if I want an exit wound it is only to track, but as long as the placement is right it doesn't matter.
    “Every step we take towards making the State our Caretaker of our lives, by that much we move toward making the State our Master.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    The heart and the brain require less than 3" of penetration, 10" is more than enough.
    Only if the person you are shooting is willing to face you and stand perfectly still while you shoot them.

People involved in gun fights don't stand face-to-face blasting away until one of them falls.

Quote Originally Posted by Debray View Post
    Now, if I want an exit wound it is only to track, but as long as the placement is right it doesn't matter.
    Why would you track anyone after shooting them?

In that case, you are now pursuing someone who has fled from you (otherwise no need to "track" them is there?) after being shot, which is a huge tactical error and an act that may cause you to be perceived as an aggressor.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast