is .380 enough gun? - Page 18
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    I figured I'd catch one for rabbits - should have said squirrels (no letters please) - but notice I did upgrade to coyotes
    Least you're flexible.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
    Least you're flexible.
    Yeah, thanks, I try to keep everybody happy.

4. No squirrels either, they are friendly, funny critters. I feed them a lot.

5. .380 is fine for concealed carry. I rotate between a .357 (going into the mountains), a 9mm (casual clothes) and a .380 pocket gun (work attire without jacket) and I never feel undergunned with the .380. If you obsess about caliber "stopping power" I can tell you from personal experience you will obsess about everything else. When I switched to my .357 I worried about not having enough rounds and slow reloads. Screw it. Life's too short to worry about being prepared for everything. If you're the type who worries about shooting through car doors, body armor or cinder blocks, you'll find a reason to not be satisfied with a .357 or .44. And for every story of a BG who survives a .380 hit, there's a story about a goblin who pushes through a hail of .45 ACP to put the hurt on someone. Shoot what you got, carry what you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    There was another thread where people were talking about maybe buying .380s but the ammo might be scarce. Started me wondering if a .380 is enough gun. Found this article.

Carry Enough Gun: Just Say ‘No’ to Mouseguns for Off-Duty and Back-Up :: Blue Sheepdog

If seems to indicate that it is not but one of the commenters at the bottom of the article has a different opinion and backs it up with test results on a pork shoulder.

I figure any handgun will do the trick under certain conditions if fired accurately but is a .380 really a good choice?

Thoughts?

Hi Avid...if you are accurate, it is enough gun....
    Warmly, James, Former Marine, Harley Rider, Partner-Gemini Guns (www.facebook.com/geminiguns), NRA Life Member, "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons." - Antonio Meloni

Let's face it. A .380 Auto is enough gun in many situations, IF the person behind that gun does the job, and you have the BEST possible gun and ammo you can have. Take every advantage you can, starting with good ammo. Practice, Practice, Practice. Nowadays it seems many armed citizens on the streets are facing "Multiple Attackers". Possibly Multiple ARMED Attackers. Chances are, you are going to face 2 or more bad guys. Generally the situation is over or defusing within 2 or 3 shots fired. Make those shots count. I personally opt for Buffalo Bore +p ammo, like the hardcast flat point to ensure enough tactical penetration and bone penetration for my first couple of shots. Followed up with the hottest hollowpoint ammo I can find. Usually Buffalo Bore hollowpoints or Speer Gold Dots. I also pack a minimum of 2 spare mags. It's not my first choice of carry gun, but as I said before, it beats the 45 left at home in the gun safe.

With the kind of summer we've had this year, I have used pocket carry and small gun waistband carry on many occassions. In fact, over about the past 2 or three months, my S&W Titanium Snubby, My Walther PPK/S and my Kimber CDP II 3" have seen the most carry, with an NAA 22 Mag for a back up. Shorts and T-Shirt's and 95 degree weather brings out the small guns. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Kramer Gunleather Pocket Holsters. I also have a couple of Ahern Leather pocket Magazine pouches, including a couple of double mag pouches made for me by Jerry Ahern a few years ago .
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    Let's face it. A .380 Auto is enough gun in many situations, IF the person behind that gun does the job, and you have the BEST possible gun and ammo you can have. Take every advantage you can, starting with good ammo. Practice, Practice, Practice. Nowadays it seems many armed citizens on the streets are facing "Multiple Attackers". Possibly Multiple ARMED Attackers. Chances are, you are going to face 2 or more bad guys. Generally the situation is over or defusing within 2 or 3 shots fired. Make those shots count. I personally opt for Buffalo Bore +p ammo, like the hardcast flat point to ensure enough tactical penetration and bone penetration for my first couple of shots. Followed up with the hottest hollowpoint ammo I can find. Usually Buffalo Bore hollowpoints or Speer Gold Dots. I also pack a minimum of 2 spare mags. It's not my first choice of carry gun, but as I said before, it beats the 45 left at home in the gun safe.

With the kind of summer we've had this year, I have used pocket carry and small gun waistband carry on many occassions. In fact, over about the past 2 or three months, my S&W Titanium Snubby, My Walther PPK/S and my Kimber CDP II 3" have seen the most carry, with an NAA 22 Mag for a back up. Shorts and T-Shirt's and 95 degree weather brings out the small guns. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Kramer Gunleather Pocket Holsters. I also have a couple of Ahern Leather pocket Magazine pouches, including a couple of double mag pouches made for me by Jerry Ahern a few years ago .
    Even the largest handgun calibers are POOR fight stoppers. Is the .380 enough? If you choose to carry one IMHO you better pray it is.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Well. Thread still running after 2+ years! I agree the gun you actually carry is better than the one you left at home. I also think Dan Hammond Sr's advice (from a couple of years back!) is exactly correct. "Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot." Obviously, conditions can make that vary. There are some great shooting small guns out there now in 9mm and .40. My "small" CCW is the Walther PPS in .40. That's my summer condition CCW. For me, fall/winter/spring, it's a full-size 1911. I've even cc'd my Ruger Redhawk .44mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel, but that was because I was having new sights put on my 1911. Train, train, train with whatever you carry!

i think a .380 is plenty for edc but when the government comes to your door wanting to take your guns you may needis .380 enough gun?-gunsgottahaveem.jpg bigger faster and better guns
    gun control is being able to hit your target

11. Bersa Thunder .32
    Bersa Thunder .380
    Ruger SR9c 9mm

All carry guns and trust them. It's up to me to place shots well.

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast