is .380 enough gun? - Page 21
Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog97 View Post
    Since this thread hasn't died yet....

While I know energy isn't the most perfect measure of stopping power, it's the only measure that the manufactures provide, so here I go...
    Buffalo Bore 80gr Barnes 380+P: 300 ft/lbs
    Remington 125gr Golden Saber 38 Special+P: 264 ft/lbs
    Remington 125gr 38 Special (non +P): 201 ft/lbs
    Federal 115gr Hi-shok 9mm Luger: 356 ft/lbs

It seems to me that the 380, especially in the +P offerings deserves more respect and testing than we've seen. Lacking any ballistics gel, I'd love to see some testing for these rounds to test for penetration, clothing barrier penetration/function, etc. I'm not foolish enough to think that it'll do well against auto glass or car doors, but demin and leather would be interesting!
    Threads like this never die, they just fade away ... until the next time ;-)
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

.380 is enough to stop with a head shot

4. There are videos on the net where they test .380 thru denim into balistic gel. The .380 IMO is a good self defense gun. If you ask if a .380 is enough ask yourself this. Do you want a round to blow a huge hole thru someone? If so then .380 is not enough. But if you want something where one or two rounds to center mass can stop an attacker then .380 is enough.

Blog Entries
    The Soviets used the Makarov in the common slaughter of their own population, so I'd say, YES. .380 is enough.

To make another point, .22lr is enough gun, so .380 would definitely be enough gun. If you've seen me on defensivecarry.com, you'll know better than to go to caliber war with me. I will BURY you with the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    The Soviets used the Makarov in the common slaughter of their own population, so I'd say, YES. .380 is enough.
    Yep, they sure did. However...there is a huge difference between what a bullet must do against an armed assailant who may present a less than perfect frontal presentation and may be behind cover and what a bullet must do when used to execute a person who is held immobile and positioned perfectly for the shot. To ignore those differences is to ignore the dynamics of a gunfight- not good.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Quote Originally Posted by schadenfreude View Post
    Yep, they sure did. However...there is a huge difference between what a bullet must do against an armed assailant who may present a less than perfect frontal presentation and may be behind cover and what a bullet must do when used to execute a person who is held immobile and positioned perfectly for the shot. To ignore those differences is to ignore the dynamics of a gunfight- not good.

Schadenfreude? Where did you pick that gem up?
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

What? My screen name?

Most (7/8ths) of my family (Bierer- guess what they all did for living with that name!) is from Bavaria and though my German is kind of sketchy, the first time I heard the word, I knew exactly what it meant. My grandparents, great uncles and aunts all speak it and I get by, but my German is not nearly as refined as theirs since they are native speakers and I am not.

Since I (being a police officer) possess a rather dark sense of "gallows humor", it seemed only natural that I should use it as my screen name.

What? My screen name?

Most (7/8ths) of my family (Bierer- guess what they all did for living with that name!) is from Bavaria and though my German is kind of sketchy, the first time I heard the word, I knew exactly what it meant. My grandparents, great uncles and aunts all speak it and I get by, but my German is not nearly as refined as theirs since they are native speakers and I am not.

Since I (being a police officer) possess a rather dark sense of "gallows humor", it seemed only natural that I should use it as my screen name.
    I'm a native German. "Schadenfreude" is a word that as some have said is unique, we don't really have anything in English that describes that precise mix of emotions ;-)
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Blog Entries
    Oh lord, save us the headache and don't go there. Some of you big caliber guys are just fine with other people carrying a .32, like opinion matters more than training...with all the modern ammo available .380 will perform adequately in a gunfight just the same as .22lr, .25, .32acp, .357, .38sp, 9mm luger, .40, .44, .45acp, and yes, .460 and .50 action express too...did I forget any?lol as long as youre making hits in vital areas, as with all calibers. A hole in the lung is more effective than a scrape across the arm. The rules of gunfighting are this: 3, 3, 3. 3 feet, 3 shots, 3 seconds. If your assailant is behind cover, you've got a few advantages. He's got to leave it to chase you, he also has a blind spot While you're getting off the X, why not get to cover of your own? Why not find an avenue of escape? If .22lr can penetrate 12 pieces of plywood, I don't see your point. .45 won't penetrate a concrete wall at walmart, so would it really matter what you've got if he's hiding?! Moving targets are hard to hit, bug out!

Another perspective of the effectiveness of it in gunfights... Afghanistan has more than a few who will tell you what it was like fighting the Soviets. Afghanistan was comparable to Iran or Israel in terms of military might until the soviets and their arsenal, including the Makarov and its .380 round showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    I'm a native German. "Schadenfreude" is a word that as some have said is unique, we don't really have anything in English that describes that precise mix of emotions ;-)
    The best I've got for a translation would be "a mischevious delight in the misfortune of those who probably deserve it"- it's almost Karmic.

Page 21 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast