is .380 enough gun? - Page 3
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4storm View Post

*** KEEP IN MIND I INTEND TO LOAD THAT .380 WITH NOTHING BUT BUFFALO BORE AMMO ***
    If you can find it in stock somewhere.. .380 is beginning to come back in stock.. Let's hope the trend continues.

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

IMHO a .380 is too light a caliber. I can't justify it when modern 9mm pistols are so compact. I prefer .40 S&W or .357 Sig though.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

4. I skipped the other pages of comments, so if I'm repeating someone else, bear with me.

If you hit a STOP button (like the CNS, major bones like the pelvis or femur or major organs like heart/lungs) it really don't matter what you are shooting. Will a larger or more powerful cartridge do more damage? Sure. But if the pocket pistol rounds like the .380 are used effectively (meaning ACCURATELY), they are more than adequate.

Sig P232

I have been into the shooting sports all of my life, but just recently moved to a state which allows concealed carry. Being a lady with a small frame, I have found the Sig P232 in .380 is just the right size for me. After putting many rounds through it I think it will continue to be my primary carry weapon. I hope the other poster is correct about .380 ammo returning to stock soon; otherwise, I have two 9mms (a Ruger P95 and CZ 75) as a second choice.

A 22lr is enough gun in some cases. So, I think a 380 is enough gun for "most" SDCC situations.

There have only been two handguns that I've had to use in a SD situation. One was a 22lr revolver. I personally know one shot from a 22 will stop a threat and ruin someones day!

I depended solely on a Bersa 380 for years; but never had to shoot in SD. I did howevr use it to "stop" a bad situation from getting worse. This gun is now my wifes 1st choice for a CC weapon and I have NO issues with her staking her life and our kids life on a "Bersa" 380.

Welcome aboard, Straxler. I have a PPK/S which I love, but my Kimber CDP Ultra Carry isn't a hellova lot bigger and has a trigger like a fine target pistol. I think it'd be my first choice for primary carry, although the PPK would make a fine BUG.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32° & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

Probably good for shooting rats or plinking.
    In the beginning, the patriot is a scarce man -- brave, hated, and scorned. But when his cause succeeds, the timid join him. For then, it costs nothing to be a patriot. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PX4storm View Post
    Although I have not read all the posts on this thread, I would like to share my opinion; at the moment I carry a PX4 Storm in a .40 S&W and love it.

Now .....

I recently rented a Bersa Thunder .380 and shot some Buffalo Bore ammo through it, the load was Buffalo Bore's 90 grain JHP (gold dot style) + P round, this round is rated at 1150 feet per/sec. with 288 lbs of energy and 10 inches of penetration. The recoil on this pistol/round is half that of my .40 S&W ... I was able to stay on target much better then my Beretta, 2nd shots were much faster and placed better. I can group better with the .380 vs. the .40 S&W. I left the range confident my next handgun purchase with be a Bersa .380

*** KEEP IN MIND I INTEND TO LOAD THAT .380 WITH NOTHING BUT BUFFALO BORE AMMO ***
    Felt recoil is the effect of ejected weight. Heavy round, heavy recoil.. More pressure will add to that, but a smaller & lighter round will create less recoil regardless of pressure.

I noticed the difference between the 230gr .45 FMJ and JHP ammo vs. the 200gr +P.

Then I really feel the difference when I go to the revolver with .38 spec 130gr semi wadcutters.. very light

So I would have to say that weight difference between the .40 ammo (135-165gr?) to the 90gr .380 ammo will make follow up shots much faster.

In short: To each their own. So carry what makes you a better shooter and enables you to feel the confidence required to put your mind at ease.. I pray that you never have to use it. That goes for all...

Peace.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

It would seem that, based on gelatin testing, that the 380 should be quite adequate for defense.

More important than size is shot placement!

-Doc

90 grain Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok

90gr Federal Hydra-Shok (light clothing)

95gr Federal American Eagle FMJ and 95gr Winchester 'WWB' truncated cone (Heavy clothing test)

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post

More important than size is shot placement!

-Doc
    Amen..
    2 Dead center mass will slow em down, and perhaps stop em. Depends on target size and physical condition.
    1 Through the liver will most certainly cause death, slowly...
    1 To the base of the skull removing the brain stem, will cause death very rapidly...

It depends on the intent..

So "Keep em in the 10 ring"...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast