is .380 enough gun? - Page 31
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

is .380 enough gun?

If any auto loader is pressed against an object, it runs the risk of a failure. Perhaps that was the cause of the failure to work in the case of the story in the article.

I carry a 380 as a backup with Buffalo Bore +P 90 grain ammo in a Sig P238. There have been times I've only carry it as a primary - more formal outings. The likelihood for me, as an armed citizen, to actually need any gun is pretty slim but I DO carry one, at least, and often TWO. However, the primary is usually a 1911, 45 ACP Glock, or 357 Magnum 586 L-Comp.
    www.holstershock.com

Tell 'em CDR Glock sent ya!

In a short lightweight gun a 380 or 9x17 is 200 fpe,,9x18 mak is 250,9x18 luger is 300fpe in general.
    Most jhp do not expand well below 1000 fps,and most jhp penetrate better.
    I carry a pa 63 in 9x18,plenty of punch also carry a mid sized 32 acp at times 3.6 in barrel so 200 fpe out of that with s and b 60 grain jhp,1200 fps.Accuracy not how large for the most part,a smaller accurate hole is better than an inaccurate larger one.That said a large accurate one is better ,shoot the largest you can control and conceal that you can shoot again and again if needed.
    I have a 45 do not cc it as to large,and dont want one shrunk that will make me wish I hadnt a shot it.

4. Very good lilmule, I also have a .380 and a 3.5 barrel .32 I carry and trust them both. I also agree on not carrying a small .45 because many people can not control them well. A ,45 has plenty recoil and when you make the gun small the recoil is even worse. To me a full size .45 for range/competition/home defense is fine but not to carry. I own nothing over a 9mm and I feel I am not undergunned.

u r not undergunned with a 9mm, if you load it with Corbon's 100 gr PowrBall load and you can get 6 hits per second. .20 second repeat hits are not hard to achieve with a 9mm, not on the chest of a man, at the typical 10 ft and less ranges of justifiable civilian self defense. 4 hits in half a second is feasible, too, actually, since the first shot is not included. .17 second is still pretty 'doable", with a good SA auto. 1/2 second is not much time to do much moving, and 4 holes in you, with a good, expanding bullet, at over 400 ft lbs of energy per hit, it pretty damned likely to suffice. :-) But that is a long, long ways from what the average guy can achieve. He's getting maybe 2 hits, with 380's that have 150 ft lbs each, and that don''t expand, so they waste a lot of their power on overpenetration of the man. 200 ftlbs actually delivered, 2 small holes, as vs 4 big holes, and 1400 ft lb delivered=huge difference in the probability of coming out ahead.

I noticed some did not want to carry a 45 because of the size, weight, recoil,...........I agree some are boat anger heavy, but you may want to ck some of the compact 3 inch barrel 1911s with alloy frames, if a sensable rd is used the recoil is totaly controllable, and they are not much differant size wise to carry than the larger 380s, like the 380 Walther, I have posted on this thread before and still say bigger is better, BUT I would not want to be on the receiving end of a 380 at any range..............and today I'm carrying my Colt Defender and Bersa thunder 380......
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

is .380 enough gun?

You all DO realize that the FPE only applies to the circumference of the ACTUAL bullet with regards to penetration and damage?
    400....500...or lowly 200fpe is not going to Blow someone off their feet right?
    It only relates to the crush path and potential to damage bone in a very small diamiter.
    I don't think you need 400+FPE to penetrate clothing, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Stan45 do you know what caliber the Berlin Police use? I know years ago they carried a .32 acp but I imagine now they have moved up to either a .380 or 9mm?
    I was in Berlin 3 times in 2009 and they carry what appears to be at the very least 9mm. They were full size Sig Sauer models but I never actually asked what calibur they were. Many times however I witnesed a pair of police, one toting along a HK MP5 and the other only with his side arm.

They do now but from turn of the century the 32 acp was a popular euro round,about the most common caliber in the trenches of ww1.
    WW2 ,not only was the 32 ACP (7.65 Browning) the second most issued pistol cartridge in the Whermacht after the 9x19, but it remained a major, if not the most popular police cartridge in post-war Western Europe. That changed after 1972 (Munich Olympics) and the switch to 9x19 as the police caliber.Think kevlar.
    Europeans load it a tad hotter as most pistols of that era have tad longer barrels and not looked down upon over there.PP means police pistol ppk means police pistol detective.Fiocchi and or s and b obtain 160- 179 fmj -205 jhp fpe (13 in penetration)out of a 3.2 in ppk.Highly touted corbin 160 fpe and out of a short tomcat 132 fpe.We just dont load it as hot and tend to make or use 130 fpe guns,light plastic and short barrels.
    Also most europeans could not own in private hands above a certain caliber 9mm being restricted to military use and now military and police.
    Gun sales soared after reelection,but un sanctions would most likly not ban hand guns just restrict calibers,it would not in many judges eyes and that is what supreme court is made of be against the 2nd amendment to say what type or kind can be owned privately.
    Meaning you can keep your lowly 32 acp or possibly 380 but your 9mm and above could be scrap.
    Surely a large hole is or causes damage,but a small accurate one does as well,most 32 acp like the pp ppk size one can place all in a pie pan at 30 ft and empty the mag in about 3 seconds,and I dont know about the rest of those who carry smaller guns I shoot for only the head(on targets).
    The 380 and below can be effective weapons.
    All the 44 magnums and 45 acp in the world wont do you any good if it becomes a weapon you cannot own privately.Yet can bear arms just with lower calibers those higher being for police or military use.Think it cant happen,look at cali,new jersey,ny laws they restrict amount held like 10 rds and under and what an sks is considered an assault weapon or can be.
    Due to that 2nd amendment we will always be able to bear arms as long as it is viable and we exist,yet some might want to restrict what is carried,or even owned.
    The 380 being at the top of that ladder would be and is an effective caliber,and would also be a fairly safe bet on being able to keep it if it all turns sour.

10. I always recommend that new CCW people start with a .380 and I tell people who are recoil sensitive to try the .32 acp.
    This allows them something they can control and if later they want a larger caliber they can move up. I think many people underestimate what a bullet does in thinking that people can throw off the effects of being shot easily and continue fighting. Most people when shot, even with a .32 or .380 are scared and will stop fighting or try and run. If the shot is placed well enough they may simply go down.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    I always recommend that new CCW people start with a .380 and I tell people who are recoil sensitive to try the .32 acp.
    This allows them something they can control and if later they want a larger caliber they can move up. I think many people underestimate what a bullet does in thinking that people can throw off the effects of being shot easily and continue fighting. Most people when shot, even with a .32 or .380 are scared and will stop fighting or try and run. If the shot is placed well enough they may simply go down.

Very good advice, still I hesitate at a recamendation of the very small guns as they are difficult to aim well, true most are up close guns that are not really ment to be sighted and aimed, just pointed and shot, but the larger 380, such as the Walther, Bersa are excellent starter gun choices, enough bang to get the job done, very light recoil, but big enough to have a good fell and do well with at the range, I say this because the small stuff, LCP, TCP, Smith Bodyguard, and some other are so small and light, they will bother new shooters to the point of ether the gun gets traded or left at home and never carryed
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast