is .380 enough gun? - Page 34
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 368

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

  1. One of the problems I have with the caliber wars is somehow people bring up 9mm and how much more effective it is as a round due to advances in technology. Somehow it seems some believe no other calibers improved as well.

    The modern .380 has improved as well. Look at the Leigh and hornady FTX as effective rounds.

    Will they be as good as bigger calibers ? I believe if you do your part they will be so.

    They meet the FBI specs in some rounds.


    Someday. Thatís a dangerous word. Itís really just a code for Ďneverí.

  2.   
  3. #332
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    One of the problems I have with the caliber wars is somehow people bring up 9mm and how much more effective it is as a round due to advances in technology. Somehow it seems some believe no other calibers improved as well.

    The modern .380 has improved as well. Look at the Leigh and hornady FTX as effective rounds.

    Will they be as good as bigger calibers ? I believe if you do your part they will be so.

    They meet the FBI specs in some rounds.


    Someday. Thatís a dangerous word. Itís really just a code for Ďneverí.
    They do NOT meet the FBI specs. Not a single .380 JHP does meet the FBI specs. The Hornady FTX round doesn't go beyond 9 inches in bare gel. The Lehigh Defense penetrates 27 inches in bare gel with a tiny wound channel. A .380 FMJ-FN, however, may pass the FBI specs, but that requires it to tumble which is unpredictable. Most 9mm JHP rounds do meet the full FBI specs: bare gel, denim-covered, steel, wall board, ply wood and auto glass.

  4. #333
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by William D Tipton View Post
    ok...

    Killing a wild hog in one shot with a .380 hollow point
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u6-9VXiBDw


    guess that shot that theory down in flames
    Shooting a caged wild hog with a .380 JHP doesn't prove anything, but ignorance (at so many levels).

  5. is .380 enough gun?

    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    They do NOT meet the FBI specs. Not a single .380 JHP does meet the FBI specs. The Hornady FTX round doesn't go beyond 9 inches in bare gel. The Lehigh Defense penetrates 27 inches in bare gel with a tiny wound channel. A .380 FMJ-FN, however, may pass the FBI specs, but that requires it to tumble which is unpredictable. Most 9mm JHP rounds do meet the full FBI specs: bare gel, denim-covered, steel, wall board, ply wood and auto glass.
    ShootTheBull410 found some. I am not a LEO and don't personally need the barrier requirements. I believe a citizen that had to shoot through a car door etc may well find them self in the pokey.

    https://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts


    Someday. Thatís a dangerous word. Itís really just a code for Ďneverí.

  6. #335
    Yes .380 will do.

    If you are looking for a CC gun, many pistols are designed smaller for

    this caliber specifically for CC.


    I personally don't have any .380, because they are very close to 9mmx19 Luger in size, and

    I would not want to mix them up.

    IIRC, Hitler's PPK was a .380, and he carried it in his back pocket...

  7. #336
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The Real World
    Posts
    7,939
    James Butler Hickock, aka Wild Bill, carried a matched pair of Colt 1851 Navy cap and ball revolvers chambered in .36 caliber. Initially he carried the guns in a sash tied around his waste. In years later he had holsters fashioned into his trouser pockets. The .36 C&B caliber is comparable to the modern .380. Not exactly a man stopper by contemporary standards. Hickock used one to dispatch a man named Tillman on the town square in Springfield, Missouri at over 20 paces. One shot was all that was needed. A testament to shot placement.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

  8. Nothing wrong with .380 but it won't blow a big hole thru you like a .45 will. I carry two .32 acp pistols and trust them completely. Shot placement is everything.

  9. #338
    Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Nothing wrong with .380 but it won't blow a big hole thru you like a .45 will. I carry two .32 acp pistols and trust them completely. Shot placement is everything.
    That and the fact that you publicly believe citizens should only own weapons you approve of.
    Don't make me post up all your anti gun bs "Conrad". It'll only make you look like an even bigger fool than you already are.

  10. #339
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    ShootTheBull410 found some. I am not a LEO and don't personally need the barrier requirements. I believe a citizen that had to shoot through a car door etc may well find them self in the pokey.

    https://youtu.be/GNtPHYwcDts


    Someday. Thatís a dangerous word. Itís really just a code for Ďneverí.
    Meeting the FBI specs does also require ammunition to be barrier blind. ShootTheBull410 has not found .380 ACP ammunition that meets the FBI specs. He has found ammunition that meets his personal limited specs that exclude barrier blindness. Note that barrier blindness does not simply mean barrier penetrating, instead it means that after going through a barrier, the round performs still within the FBI specs. JHP ammunition that is not barrier blind typically over-penetrates the target after going through a barrier due to a lack of expansion. A JHP round that is not barrier blind typically behaves like a FMJ round after going through a barrier.

    I assume you will ask a car jacker if he could please step back from the car, so that you don't have to fire through the door when defending your life and risk of getting arrested for an imaginary crime? Other, real-life, barriers that you may need to shoot through to defend your life are made out of wall board, plywood, sheet metal or glass in your home or in the businesses you frequent. Again, .380 ACP JHP ammunition will penetrate those, just not with efficient expansion afterwards, leading to over-penetration.

  11. #340
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
    IIRC, Hitler's PPK was a .380, and he carried it in his back pocket...
    Hitler's PPK was actually chambered in .32 ACP. Not that this should be any indication for or against .380 or .32 ACP.

Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BATFE: Any Semi-Auto Can Be A Machine Gun
    By Oregon Vet in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2012, 07:23 AM
  2. Why I Carry A Gun, and You Should Too
    By Tea For One in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
  3. North Carolina Concealed Gun Law In Spotlight
    By lukem in forum North Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
  4. Gun Rights Threatened In 2008
    By lukem in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2008, 11:59 PM
  5. NY Governor Paterson proposes legislation to reduce gun violence
    By Ruger Lady in forum Politics and News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 10:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast