is .380 enough gun? - Page 37
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Quote Originally Posted by kramden View Post
    Underwood makes some excellent personal defense ammo for the .380. Over 1200 F.P.S. fracturing rounds. Check it out on u-tube.
    I cited the data published by Underwood on the .380 fracturing round (with link). According to the manufacturer, this ammo underperforms. If you have any video links please post them. Note that test barrel length plays a significant role in accelerating the projectile. See ShootingTheBull410's .380 ACP Ammo Quest.

I used to carry Speer Gold Dot .380 ACP 90 gr. in my Taurus TCP, until I retired this gun from carry duty. This round slightly underperforms as well. Minimum penetration is at 11.25 inches in bare gel and 10 inches in denim-covered gel, when fired from the 2.8-inch barrel with 944 fps (i.e. 178 ft-lb energy and 12.1 ft-lb/s momentum).

3. Quote Originally Posted by Hyperjoe View Post
    Just about every thug carrys a 380. If you watch Crime 360 or first 48, you will see they die with 380 in body mass shots.
    Frankly when I watch the "Murder Channels" I am amazed at the number of murders committed with a .22. Not to mention a .380.

4. I have to say some of these guys think they are going to have to defend them self from armor clad paramilitary type bad guy when it more likely to be a drugy trying to steal from u or some one trying to home invasion and most like not wherein body armor or battle helmet

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

5. Quote Originally Posted by bwg3 View Post
    I have to say some of these guys think they are going to have to defend them self from armor clad paramilitary type bad guy when it more likely to be a drugy trying to steal from u or some one trying to home invasion and most like not wherein body armor or battle helmet

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
    True my impressions as well. In my state less than half with a permission slip actually carry. That number decreases further on how often they carry.

I have a theory that so far has been proving to be true. The larger the carry weapon the less likely it is to be carried.

I have tired carrying the semi compacts ( Glock 19 size )!down to small 9 ( Kahr cm9 and shield )

I just find myself coming up with reasons I didn't need to carry it.

So I gave up and went with what I will carry. In my case a pocket carry and I carry it every day.

John Lott has stats on his website and it's interesting.

Just deploying a handgun 95% BG will run

So just finding something that one will carry all the time is far and away the most important factor.

The argument that it's a BB gun , pea shoot is silly. If one was to deploy and have to use a 357 revolver or a 380 it really does not matter if one does not hit the target to stop the BG. The 12 " of penetration is in the range of acceptable so the 380 is fine

I am not a LEO. I don't have to cuff the person. I just have to run far enough away and then call 911.

I understand if one is a LEO. it's the job and carrying a OWB Glock 17 with a half dozen mags may well be reasonable.

So unless your the 1 in whatever number that always carry your Glock 19 everywhere realize that the people you rip into for carrying pocket .32 to 380s that always carry them and not that dumb. They read the stats ... And know the most important thing is to have a gun ... no not the one at home in the safe either .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Well said

Sent from my P902/A900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bwg3 View Post
    Well said
    +1

~ It’s LOVE that constrains us to tell people they are lost and headed for Hell if they don’t know Jesus Christ, not hate. Hate says nothing ~
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Interesting to see that the Grendel has been accused as being one of the worst pistols ever while the Keltec P3AT has been reasonably regarded in this thread. Particularly interesting because both pistols were designed by George Kellgren from whose name the eponymous name Keltec is derived. I have a P3AT and I believe that it is plenty adequate for self defense particularly with 90 gr Buffalo Bore ammo. I also have a Taurus 605SH2 which is a 16-ounce titanium 357 mag snubby. Some people in this thread have used perceived recoil as a general barometer of effectiveness. If that were true; my 16-ounce 357 is WAY better than either my P3AT or my 1911 45 ACP. For that matter it should be better than just about any pistol that I have shot. Just goes to show you that, although the light 357 is very effective, the heavy recoil makes recovery difficult so...perception isn't everything.
    MOLON LABE

9. My thoughts also. Used to carry my G26 and was always finding reasons not to. Bought the G42 and will carry it every day.

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637