is .380 enough gun? - Page 4
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

I usualy carry a Sig. P232 .380. It feels like it is easier to conceal than my larger guns, although some of it is just being self conscious. I did get a supertuck for my G19 though, so I will start carrying that too.

3. I personally measure all conceal carry weapons to the Kimber Ultra Carry. It's just perfect I think
    You bet your ass I carry cocked and locked

It would seem that, based on gelatin testing, that the 380 should be quite adequate for defense.

More important than size is shot placement!
    Although I still think it's too light a caliber for me to feel comfortable carrying, shot placement is the key.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie were assassinated with a .380, fired from a FN Model 1910. One shot each; him in the neck and her in the abdomen after the bullet had passed through the side of the car. This was the event that triggered World War I, but not the sole cause of it. Neither person died immediately; they both lasted several minutes.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Of Course a Beretta 84 Hi-Cap would an EXCELLENT .380 Defense Pistol...the Problem? It's The Same Size as a .9mm or .40 Cal Auto...SO You must ask yourself, What place does a .380 have in a Defense gun Now.. That Place is in a Pocket Auto like the Colt Pocket Light, KelTec .380 or Ruger .380... These guns are the size and weight of MOST .25 Acp and .22LR Pocket Guns 10 Years ago... I remember when the Seecamp .32acp was a HOT HOT Gun because of the size and Double Action... NOW you can go down to any gun store and buy a better KelTec .380 at Half the Price over the counter!!
    A .380 Pocket Auto, is Better Than a sharp stick and better than yelling for help and much much better than watching your family being assaulted....
    I feel very well armed with my new KelTec .380 in my Pocket... I am in Manila this week, and I couldn't carry My GLOCK 19 comfortably inside a Hotel lobby because of Security... I left the GLOCK in my SUV with another Team Member and got our client checked in ..I felt Comfortable with my .380 and a 4" Folding Knife in each pocket of Casual business attire Pants and Polo Shirt.
    If I knew I would be involved in this situation, I would have worn a different holster for my GLOCK, or an Ankle Rig... But, I felt VERY OK with the .380. In the Past, I would Have had to rely on the Folding Knife only... As I have many times in Manila....
    Best, Stay Safe and God Bless... "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK9 View Post
    Of Course a Beretta 84 Hi-Cap would an EXCELLENT .380 Defense Pistol...the Problem? It's The Same Size as a .9mm or .40 Cal Auto...SO You must ask yourself, What place does a .380 have in a Defense gun Now.. That Place is in a Pocket Auto like the Colt Pocket Light, KelTec .380 or Ruger .380... These guns are the size and weight of MOST .25 Acp and .22LR Pocket Guns 10 Years ago... I remember when the Seecamp .32acp was a HOT HOT Gun because of the size and Double Action... NOW you can go down to any gun store and buy a better KelTec .380 at Half the Price over the counter!!
    A .380 Pocket Auto, is Better Than a sharp stick and better than yelling for help and much much better than watching your family being assaulted....
    I feel very well armed with my new KelTec .380 in my Pocket... I am in Manila this week, and I couldn't carry My GLOCK 19 comfortably inside a Hotel lobby because of Security... I left the GLOCK in my SUV with another Team Member and got our client checked in ..I felt Comfortable with my .380 and a 4" Folding Knife in each pocket of Casual business attire Pants and Polo Shirt.
    If I knew I would be involved in this situation, I would have worn a different holster for my GLOCK, or an Ankle Rig... But, I felt VERY OK with the .380. In the Past, I would Have had to rely on the Folding Knife only... As I have many times in Manila....
    Best, Stay Safe and God Bless... "Captain"
    That keltek 380 looks an awful lot like a Grendel 380 that I used to own. It misfed so bad that I eventually sold it for $50 to a "buy back" program.

I think a 380 is plenty to us as a weapon against a threat, I hear of a lot of deaths here in S.C. due to being shot with 22 rounds so a well placed shot will do the job, but for those of us who do not want to hang our lives on a well placed shot, we opt for a larger caliber weapon to stop a threat, it's like a insurance policy, we may never need it but it makes feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing it's there if we do

Avidshooter... My New Girl Friend Looks A lot Like my Old Girl Friend,,,But She is So Much Better!!!

For being AVID, I'm surprised you havent read anything on these guns... But, You Could Not be More Wrong. I think ALL Black Plastic autos "Look" the same... Its How they are made and designed... The Grendal had two models..One that loaded from the top (ughh) and then they came out with a magazine fed gun.. Neither worked... It was a High Capacity 10 shot or so Pistol that was thick with a heavy trigger.

The Keltec .380 works..and I doubt you'd find a bad test report on them now... some very first runs...several years ago, the extractor had some problems in strength...but that problem was very quickly solved.
    With several LE Agencies even issuing them as BUGs and Many More authorizing them as Off Duty guns... I'd say they have some field record...They work.

Philippine Extraction Services "Captain"

9. There was a Police/Military study done in Germany in the mid sixities where they rehashed the same question that they had actually done during the war. Actually during WWII (Germany) determined that 380 was not a good manstopper, but continued to use the cal. by police and some military officers. With the small 9mm's today I would never use the 380 for personal defense -- I just can't see it 'working' well on a 6-4, 220 lb male.

Quote Originally Posted by usacarry View Post
    There was a Police/Military study done in Germany in the mid sixities where they rehashed the same question that they had actually done during the war. Actually during WWII (Germany) determined that 380 was not a good manstopper, but continued to use the cal. by police and some military officers. With the small 9mm's today I would never use the 380 for personal defense -- I just can't see it 'working' well on a 6-4, 220 lb male.
    Are you 6' 4" 220lbs?
    Would you be willing to go agaist a 380acp?

I'm 5' 11" and 240lbs, I would NOT like to go against "ANY" handgun regardless of caliber. (I've been present at to many shootings.)

I take it you've never seen someone shot in real life. I know 1st hand a 22 revolver will stop a 6' 200lb man in his tracks even though the wound is not life threatening; so I don't have any qualms about a 380acp doing the same thing. You see; getting SHOT "usually" causes a man to lose interest in harming you; regardless of caliber.

Like I said: I've only had to use a handgun twice in a SD situation; a 22 revolver and a Bersa 380. Besides, a 380acp round is nothing but a Lighter, shorter 9mm round. With all the advancements is ballistic technology a 380acp performs quite well.

I suspect you're probably just a young gun "wannabe" expert just trolling for trouble. So I'll just bid you "good day".

Peace Out!

Quote Originally Posted by shhmitty View Post
    I think a 380 is plenty to us as a weapon against a threat, I hear of a lot of deaths here in S.C. due to being shot with 22 rounds so a well placed shot will do the job, but for those of us who do not want to hang our lives on a well placed shot, we opt for a larger caliber weapon to stop a threat, it's like a insurance policy, we may never need it but it makes feel warm and fuzzy inside knowing it's there if we do
    AMEN!!! Brother.... That's why it's a 357 or 45 for me....

In addition to that, if I had to face a jury of my peers (here in MA with the firearm owning population being about 13% that means 1 maybe 2 of the 12 jury members will be a gun owner) I stand a better chance with the jury if I had to fire only 1 or 2 shots to stop the threat. Needing to fire 6 or more will give the prosecution the "ammo" they need to make me look like the BG...

here in MA self preservation needs to extend beyond the immediate threat...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast