is .380 enough gun? - Page 6
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: is .380 enough gun?

Captain Glockaroo I didn't start the personal attacks. I just made an observation that it looked a lot like a piece of crap I once made the mistake of buying. And I never said .380 wasn't enough gun. I simply posed the question because it seems that a lot of shooters seem to think it isn't and I wanted to hear why. Obviously any firearm beats no firearm but I wouldn't carry a flintlock either.

3. .380s normally don't have the "manstopping power" of a higher caliber round like .40 or.45 cal semi-autos.

Your ability to throw off an assailant's aim is less than the heavier caliber weapons.

That being said, if you're able to place the round in a location on the assailant where it can do maximum damage (head shot for example), firing for traditional "center mass" of the chest may not cause enough shock/desensitization.

Penetration is another factor. I'd recommend ball ammo vs. hollowpoint to ensure your round penetrates into the body. With the lower caliber, I don't believe you'd have the same high velocity "burn through" and out the back as you would with a 9 mm or .40 cal ball round.

If you're a person that doesn't want a lot of recoil or you find you can't control a recoiling heavier caliber, then the .380 is a popular light weapon.

Is concealability more a concern? There are plenty of small frame 9mm and .40 cal weapons on the market (Beretta 2000 and Glock 27 for example) that are very concealable.

The thread was started to ask the question if the .380 is enough gun.
    Perhaps adding a voting tool would be a good idea. The results would be posted.
    so without further hesitation..I'll start another thread with the needed voting tool...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

5. I'd say for "most" cases that a CCer is likely to encounter, .380 is enough gun. My personal minimum is 9x19, but that's also partially based on availability and price of ammo. HootmonSccy's post on the first page made some very good points.

Remember, the gun you are likely to carry everywhere is far more effective than the gun you leave behind when you're not dressed heavily enough because it's too big.

The poll has been started. have fun and remember this is a "your opinion" poll. If it's good enough for you then vote that way.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handg...nough-gun.html
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

if i need it i would rather have my .32 that works every time than my lcp that doesn't
    molon labe

Quote Originally Posted by crstrode View Post
    So - you're in the local 7-11 with a .380 auto in your pocket.

A bad guy comes in and starts acting like a bad guy.

Are some of you geniuses telling me that you would grab a peperoni stick to defend yourself instead of your .380 because a .380 is "not enough gun"?

When Slim Jims are outlawed only outlaws will have Slim Jims.

Laughing my F-ing azz off !

Let me preface this by saying that I'm pretty old and have been shooting for about 60 years. During that time, I've either owned or shot just about every "knock-em" flat super magnum that ever came down the pike. In fact, I went to the same high school in Utah as **** Casull who developed the 454 Casull which was the first of the wildcat super magnum revolvers. With that being said, I'll say now that my primary concealed carry guns are a Taurus 605SH2 titanium J-frame .357 revolver which weighs 16 ounces (18 3/4 loaded) and my Kel-Tec P3AT 380 which weighs 8.3 ounces (11 ounces loaded with 7 rounds of Buffalo Bore). I live in Arizona so T-shirts and shorts are the uniform of the day most of the year. The .357 is pretty light and small but when I drop the little Kel-Tec into the pocket of a pair of cargo short, it just disappears. Every time I see this 380 debate started I find that I must post this test:

KTOG Forum - P3AT eats pork ribs - wants more

It pretty well speaks for itself. The Buffalo Bore (BB) rounds from the little Kel-Tec are at least on a par with the average 38 Spl +P rounds and, me, I'd take the Kel-Tec.
    MOLON LABE

I have several different carry guns.
    Colt Pocket 25 with FMJs
    S&W J-frame .38 Cal. with Speer Gold Dot +P
    Kel-Tec .380 with Speer Gold Dot +P
    Star .380 that looks like miniature 1911 with Speer Gold Dot +p
    Glock Mod 27 .40 Cal with, yep you guessed it Speer Gold Dots

Each gun has a specific carry purpose.
    The Colt for the shorts and t-shirt mode, because it fits nicely in the inner pocket located in the right front pocket and does not print because my wallet is in front of it.
    The Kel-tec because it goes nicely in the jogging suit jacket pocket. Not too heavy.
    The J-frame is nice for the ankle holster when I am in chinos and a polo.
    The Star is nice for IWB of a pair of jeans and a t-shirt
    Glock mod 27 for the SOB with two extra mags in a leather mag holster. This is nice when I am going to be out for a while and I can cover with a jacket or if i want to open carry. I have been known to keep the baby Glock in the jacket pocket too.

The point to all of this is, choose a gun that fits the purpose and carry a round that will do the job. Shoot all of your guns often and get some training.

And don't laugh at the pocket 25. I once investigated a case where one single well placed shot brought down a drunk bully 6'5" and over 300 pounds. Right through the throat, into the spinal column and the guy drives himself around in a wheel chair with his tongue. BTW it was a legally justified and jury proven self-defense case that took place in the late 90's in Caser, NC.

Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group

Quote Originally Posted by gvaldeg1 View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I'm pretty old and have been shooting for about 60 years. During that time, I've either owned or shot just about every "knock-em" flat super magnum that ever came down the pike. In fact, I went to the same high school in Utah as **** Casull who developed the 454 Casull which was the first of the wildcat super magnum revolvers. With that being said, I'll say now that my primary concealed carry guns are a Taurus 605SH2 titanium J-frame .357 revolver which weighs 16 ounces (18 3/4 loaded) and my Kel-Tec P3AT 380 which weighs 8.3 ounces (11 ounces loaded with 7 rounds of Buffalo Bore). I live in Arizona so T-shirts and shorts are the uniform of the day most of the year. The .357 is pretty light and small but when I drop the little Kel-Tec into the pocket of a pair of cargo short, it just disappears. Every time I see this 380 debate started I find that I must post this test:

KTOG Forum - P3AT eats pork ribs - wants more

It pretty well speaks for itself. The Buffalo Bore (BB) rounds from the little Kel-Tec are at least on a par with the average 38 Spl +P rounds and, me, I'd take the Kel-Tec.
    Data like this is why I bought a Bersa .380, I researched this gun and the ammo before I bought it .... Don't ask me why when BUT when I go to the range and shoot my .380 most times I draw a croud due to the groupings I get on my targets .... the Bersa's are just EZ to shoot accurate.

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast