Erroneous info given to Sheriff's Dept while applying for permit - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Erroneous info given to Sheriff's Dept while applying for permit

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
    Thank you for this post and understanding. Some on here appear to be amateur sleuths or very suspicious individuals. Why? You're digging for something that you're not going to find.

My original post was a question: Has anyone's BG check come up with incorrect info and if so, what did you do about it. This thread has turned into a prelude for a mystery novel thanks to some wild imaginations on this board - which is part of the reason I do not feel comfortable posting personal info. Some people are very quick to judge if someone doesn't pour out their personal info on day one.

I googled and found a link and phone number. I know this sounds like I'm hiding something, but all I am withholding is a hurtful mistake - hopefully clerical - that someone made 26 years ago.

I have no past to speak of. Never been arrested - never been involved in any legal matters. This is why I was shocked to receive this letter. Had I been in trouble as a kid or something like that, I wouldn't be so upset. I'm calling tomorrow - and will probably have to make a trip up there on Thursday.

I will let you know what develops and hopefully have a resolution. When it's all cleared up I'll tell you what happened. Hopefully my news will disappoint Hunter Won, who seems to be looking for excitement and angry that I wasted the time he spends on a message board.

There have been some nice people on here to offer support and info, and I thank them. This is what I came here for - not to snoop - but for the answer to one question. Has anyone had this problem and if so, were they able to solve it.
    Think positively. A buddy and I went through the permit process at the same time. He had been arrested twice in his past. One was a DWI and one Providing Alcohol to minors (When he was under age himself). Anyways he received a letter from the judge asking him to explain these offenses. He replied with a letter explaining himself and basically that he's all grown up now, etc. etc. He got approved and issued a permit. And i am in NY and my county definitely isn't one of the more gun friendly counties. Anyways i hope they clear those mistakes for you (in a timely fashion). Best Wishes

I clarified my name, DOB and [BOLD]SS#[/BOLD] with their office, and wrote to the source who provided them with my [BOLD]SS#[/BOLD] DOB, name and incorrect information. I asked to be provided with a copy of this information asked where they got my [BOLD]SS[/BOLD] and other info. I have not heard back from anyone. It's been 2 weeks or longer.
    Why are you providing your social security number on a carry permit application?!? A person's social security number should only be used for taxation, employment, social security, and other financial purposes. There is no need for you to provide your social security number on a carry permit application or on a form 4473 (yellow form).

This is a big red flag that there is something wrong with the permit process in your jurisdiction.

4. Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Why are you providing your social security number on a carry permit application?!? A person's social security number should only be used for taxation, employment, social security, and other financial purposes. There is no need for you to provide your social security number on a carry permit application or on a form 4473 (yellow form).

This is a big red flag that there is something wrong with the permit process in your jurisdiction.
    Yes you do need your SS# on NYS permit application for your BG check. Doctors, hospitals, labs, insurance companies, employers, all want that info also. Your info is out there, believe me.

Three of us applied in early December. One permit approval came thru today. So 1 down and 2 to go. The process is going faster than we expected. They said it was a 6 month wait. It WAS a 6 month wait for the fingerprint appt. But the BG check is much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Considering the signal-to-noise ratio on some of the threads here...
    You mean the "signal-to-opinion" ratio?

Then there's the "signal-to-political message" ratio, and oh, don't forget the signal-to-obsession" ratio.

Signal-to-noise, excellent analogy, love it!

My friends, this is the main reason for not living in one of these discretionary states. The idea that some annonymous source can defame your character and reputation and then some government agent can use that as a reason to deny any of your rights is completely un-American. Why are freedom-loving people still living in these police states and paying them tribute? Vote with your feet and move to a shall-issue state. PA comes to mind.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I disagree, the cut and run strategy is a non-answer. If we have no allies in a batleground state like NY, MA, WI, DE, CT, RI and so forth, we have no prospect for change. People need to fight the good fight and push for needed reforms whereever they might be.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I disagree, the cut and run strategy is a non-answer. If we have no allies in a batleground state like NY, MA, WI, DE, CT, RI and so forth, we have no prospect for change. People need to fight the good fight and push for needed reforms whereever they might be.
    You're right! Geez, what was I thinking? Sure, all you people stay in those states helpless to protect yourselves outside your homes and work for change for the good of everyone. And by the way, thanks!
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I am from Catawaba county NC. My CCW. permit was withheld by the mental health dept.They want me to pay them $118. for a substance abuse evaluation. 15 years ago I told them I drank beer at home after work every day. and that as a young man I had smoked pot. I have to this day never been in trouble over alcohol. No DWI's; I have never failed a work place drug test, I have had at least a dozen over the years. I applied for my permit on May 29, 2007. What happened to my due process?
    The 5th and 14th amendment says a person can not be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law. I have been labeled a drug addict by the mental health dept. and they are requiring me to pay them at least $118. to say otherwise! I feel that this is Extortion! I should not have to prove anything; as the burden of proof lies with the state.
    Does anyone know how to go about fighting this injustice? E-mail me at [email protected]

Yes you do need your SS# on NYS permit application for your BG check.
    If they have a name, address, verified picture ID number, and copy of your fingerprints, they most certainly do not need your Social Security Number to run a background check. The only possible use would be to run a credit check, which would not indicate if you are or are not prohibited under federal law from owning or carrying a firearm.

A NICS check does not require a Social Security Number. Neither does any other criminal background check.

11. I needed a SS # for permit application

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    If they have a name, address, verified picture ID number, and copy of your fingerprints, they most certainly do not need your Social Security Number to run a background check. The only possible use would be to run a credit check, which would not indicate if you are or are not prohibited under federal law from owning or carrying a firearm.

A NICS check does not require a Social Security Number. Neither does any other criminal background check.
    You do in my jurisdiction of NYS. I just called the pistol permit office to double check, since I applied in December - thinking maybe I was not correct when I posted that you need a social security #.

Indeed - you do need your SS# on your application and on every fingerprint card. This is straight from the sheriff's office. Maybe you don't need it in every state - I don't know about other areas - but in my area of New York you need to provide your SS# on the app and other paperwork. The office was adamant about it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast