Erroneous info given to Sheriff's Dept while applying for permit
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Erroneous info given to Sheriff's Dept while applying for permit

1. Erroneous info given to Sheriff's Dept while applying for permit

Hi

Need guidance or suggestions.

My 2 adult children and myself applied for local pistol permits. I recently received a letter from the Sheriff's office stating that during my routine background check, the Sheriff's Dept. received information about me that is erroneous, harmful, what I consider degrading and will probably cause the denial of a permit.

I clarified my name, DOB and SS# with their office, and wrote to the source who provided them with my SS# DOB, name and incorrect information. I asked to be provided with a copy of this information asked where they got my SS and other info. I have not heard back from anyone. It's been 2 weeks or longer.

What recourse do I have to prove that the info given to them is false or mistaken? There is no phone number for the source, only an address. Is it illegal for the source to provide false information and disregard my letter?

Has anyone else ever had a problem such as this where a background check brought up information that was not yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
    Hi

My 2 adult children and myself applied for local pistol permits. I recently received a letter from the Sheriff's office stating that during my routine background check, the Sheriff's Dept. received information about me that is erroneous, harmful, what I consider degrading and will probably cause the denial of a permit.

I clarified my name, DOB and SS# with their office, and wrote to the source who provided them with my SS# DOB, name and incorrect information. I asked to be provided with a copy of this information asked where they got my SS and other info. I have not heard back from anyone. It's been 2 weeks or longer.

What recourse do I have to prove that the info given to them is false or mistaken? There is no phone number for the source, only an address. Is it illegal for the source to provide false information and disregard my letter?

Has anyone else ever had a problem such as this where a background check brought up information that was not yours?
    Thanks
    Have you asked the Sheriff or your CCW instructor if there are any modes of redress available to you?

Hi

Thanks

You provided very little useful information. What state are you in? What agency did you submit your application to? What state are you applying for a pistol permit in? What kind of entity provided the "incorrect information" that would result in a denial of your permit?

There are a number of ways to get a phone number for the "source" that you talk about if you have an address.

Being that this is your first post here, and there seems to be a lot of things missing in your post, I'm highly suspect of your post. A little more detail would be in order if your post is legit and you would like us to assist you.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

First of all, welcome to the Forum from Tampa Bay, Floriduh!!!

What state are you in, and what state are you applying to?? This may be useful information in answering your questions. Also, if possible, the name of the company/agency that is producing the false info.. (I understand that you may be intentionally withholding that, but it is also hard to address specific actions on general info..

Does the Company/agency have a website?? You might be able to find some phone numbers / e-mail addresses to address your concerns..

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

6. Most of the time when you are denied for any reason, you have the right to a hearing to dispute the decision. Since you didn't provide any information about where you are, you'll have to check with the S.O. In North Carolina you can have a hearing before a judge and he can overrule their denial.

Probably your best plan is to wait for the denial and see what information it contains about why, and then go the appeal route. Surely they would tell you the reason you were denied so you could provide rebuttal evidence, even if the ID of the person who provided the info was kept confidential.

7. I'm in New York. I hesitate to post personal information, office info or details on the net. I did ask the Sheriff's Dept and spoke to a detective who gave me a name and address to write to, to ask for further info. They are not an agency with a website and don't have a phone number. I'm considering a visit to their office. Aside from denial of a permit, my primary concern is having my name and personal information connected with false allegations.

My reason for posting was to know if anyone else had ever had anything like this happen to them.

Thank you for the replies and welcome.

I'm in New York. I hesitate to post personal information, office info or details on the net. I did ask the Sheriff's Dept and spoke to a detective who gave me a name and address to write to, to ask for further info. They are not an agency with a website and don't have a phone number. I'm considering a visit to their office. Aside from denial of a permit, my primary concern is having my name and personal information connected with false allegations.

My reason for posting was to know if anyone else had ever had anything like this happen to them.

Thank you for the replies and welcome.

The state of NY is not a "shall issue" state, so you may not have much of a chance at this point. Add to that the minimum wait time of 1 year before you can re-apply, and you've got yourself a really bad situation.

I could pull a number for the agency if you PM me the address you have and any other infomation available.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

If the supplying agency is not a government entity there may be recourse in that knowingly supplying false information in an official investigation is usually, in every jurisdiction I'm aware of, a criminal offense.

10. It's not a government agency and I can't say for certain they knowingly provided false info - just erroneous and has to be a clerical error, but one that's causing me stress and possibly money to clear my record. There have been quite a few innocent people negatively affected by mistaken identity. The Sheriff's office isn't doing anything to investigate this - as I asked them to. They are leaving it up to me to clear up.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The state of NY is not a "shall issue" state, so you may not have much of a chance at this point. Add to that the minimum wait time of 1 year before you can re-apply, and you've got yourself a really bad situation.

I could pull a number for the agency if you PM me the address you have and any other infomation available.

gf

Thank you. I'll be in touch. Meantime, would you email me?

Thanks !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast