Procedure if Pulled Over - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Procedure if Pulled Over

Quote Originally Posted by hollie1 View Post
    I "NEVER SAID IT WAS LAW"!!
    We we're told to follow this what I said! This class was by a the SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT!
    SO I will follow what THEY SAY if I ever do get pulled over!
    You can do what ever YOU WISH!
    Then the word "must" doesn't apply. Perhaps "should" is a better word.
    A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern.

Um, not to actually put words in your mouth, but...
    TN. If pulled over we must inform the LEO that we have a permit!
    First off in class we were told to pull over turn off the car. Place our hands on the steering wheels sit still. When the LEO comes to the window in form him you have a permit ask how do you want to proceed? Also if you have more than one person in the car with a permit he must be told that also! Plus they should also place their hands where they can be seen an sit still! Then naturally follow his instructions to the letter! If we don't have our weapon with us then we don't have to say anything! That would be highly unlikely for us or me!
    TN uses your driver license # has your permit # so once they pull up one they will get the other ! So if its on you & they come back they might be a whole lot ticked off if they aren't informed up front!!
    ...it sure seemed to me that that was exactly what you were saying. If not, then you might want to carefully consider your phraseology in future posts.
    We we're told to follow this what I said! This class was by a the SHERIFFS DEPARTMENT!
    It really is no surprise to me that any LEO would say that you should inform, but that does not necessarily make it requisite.
    And please, do what you wish as well. But please also be sure to distinguish between legal requirement and personal preference.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

No reason to get twisted around the axle over this, Hollie1. Here's why you were called on this in a nutshell: people come to the site looking for information and it is incumbent on those who respond to be as accurate as possible. Surely we have our differences of opinion on some issues (go read the "politics" section...yikes!), but we need to watch our phraseology particularly in matters of law. No big deal, no one was disrespecting you, just clarifying.

Personally, I kinda like it: you quickly learn to tighten up your thinking, reading, and writing skills. It's all good. Welcome to the site.

Exclamation Put yourself in the Cop's shoes for a minute...

Put yourself in the Cop's shoes for a minute...
    1. Cops get shot and killed all the time during traffic stops.
    2. I would be far more afraid of someone who did not let me know straight up what I was dealing with.
    3. MOST Cops know the law. A few guys and gals somehow make it through the academy with out learning but most are decent enough folks.

A. I always let the officer know of any weapon in the car. I tell them where it is and what it is. This tends to break down barriers.
    B. The few officers I have ever heard of being that kind of Knuckleheaded have almost always been reprimanded or let go for their actions.
    C. This is what works for me. I am honest about my weapon, I let them know that I am retired military, most thank me for my service and nary a cross word is spoken.
    D. WE MUST CONDUCT OUR SELVES AT A HIGHER MORAL STANDARD. Good cops will appreciate it. Bad cops will show their butt and get fired for it. My buddy here in Crestview FL is looking at a potential settlement that will pay off his business loan as the result of a Knuckleheaded cop. He did nothing wrong. His rights were violated. At the end of the day he is getting paid. The system still works.

You guys can operate however you like but I am not changing how I do business. Besides the NRA has a legal fund for just such emergencies. Ask the guy from UTAH who got arrested in NJ due to a diverted flight.

He got millions and his record was expunged.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

I agree with Festus. A higher moral standard. I had an encounter a few weeks ago where I told a cop that I was carrying. He asked what it was, and I told him. I was expecting to be asked for my permit next, but I was kind of shocked. He asked if I would sell it to him. Most LEO encouter I have had, especially in the south, they are really laid back if you are. Everyone that I have met respects my right, and they don't cause problems with it. If there's a chance, even the slightest, that a weapon can be seen by a cop, tell them first. You'll be so much better off. Even if the law says that you don't have to, do it to keep from having a gun stuck in your face, and a routine stop go from 3 or 4 minutes to several hours because you chose to leave some information out.

Thank you festus and Ga9mm: I guess I understand some posters who seem to feel that their "rights" are in some form of jeopardy if they surrender to an LEOs request even if it is not required; they feel strongly about the law and their rights and may have had a bad experience (lets face it--there are some funny LEOs out there). I guess you guys and myself included will agree to disagree on that point. In my town we can ride along with an LEO anytime on any shift in any area and it can really scare you to see how vulnerable they can be on traffic stops at night; to have someone acting a bit "argumentative" on rights is someone that if I were an LEO, would raise hairs on my back and would deal with in an equally appropriate manner.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    ...to have someone acting a bit "argumentative" on rights is someone that if I were an LEO, would raise hairs on my back and would deal with in an equally appropriate manner.
    Be that as it may, if someone chooses to not inform the LEO, no argument over rights would ensue, as the subject would never come up in the first place. That is of course assuming that your firearm is never discovered. I wholeheartedly suggest that if someone has ANY reason to believe that the LEO will discover the firearm (asked to step out of vehicle, need to open glove box/ console, etc.) then it would be very wise to inform. Other than that, I can't see any rights arguments arising.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by utimmer43 View Post
    Be that as it may, if someone chooses to not inform the LEO, no argument over rights would ensue, as the subject would never come up in the first place. That is of course assuming that your firearm is never discovered. I wholeheartedly suggest that if someone has ANY reason to believe that the LEO will discover the firearm (asked to step out of vehicle, need to open glove box/ console, etc.) then it would be very wise to inform. Other than that, I can't see any rights arguments arising.
    +1 This was my point the whole time.

We've had this discussion before, but what the hey...

Here in the Outback, we are not required to inform LEO if we're packing. I generally do, on the very few occasions that I've been stopped over the years, as a matter of courtesy. However, as I've watched the continued erosion of our rights, all across the board, over the years, I'm becoming a little more possessive and jealous of my Constitutional freedoms.

Now, I find myself reacting basically according to the demeanor of the LEO and the surrounding circumstances. If he/she is friendly, courteous, I'm feeling fairly friendly and courteous. If he/she exhibits a storm trooper mentality, then the interaction becomes, shall we say, a bit more formal. I'm not saying I would necessarily be confrontational, but I might not inform them I'm carrying, for starters.

Time of day and location might also factor into my response to the stop. Late at night, middle of nowhere, I want everyone to be as comfortable as can be. And that's not carved in stone, either.

Just like everything else, I guess, use your common sense...but DON'T forget those rights!

hey Y'all: Sorry about my word "argumentative", although I am sure there are some who do not display the most friendly posture to an LEO. I agree with the replies concerning no show if it is not required but still do not understand that exact rationale; if you are sure in your state that an LEO cannot, via computer, tie your license to your CCWP, and you have your CC concealed appropriately, then "don't show, don't tell" if thats your thing "BUT" and but is a big word like "IF", if your CC firearm comes up in the scenario, common sense would indicate that the should/will be treating you with some "discretion"--I'll leave it at that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234