Procedure if Pulled Over
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Procedure if Pulled Over

1. Procedure if Pulled Over

I would like to know what the proper procedure would be if one is pulled over for a traffic violation and you have a CCW license? Do you show your drivers license and CCW license at the same time, advise the officer you have a CCW license or just sit back and wait for your ticket.
    Last edited by Geezer1; 02-22-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: correct content

Michigan law requires CCW permit holders when carrying concealed and during an encounter with a police officer to notify the officer forthwith. I would be handing my license, CCW permit, registration and proof of insurance to the officer the same time while verbally notifying him that I am indeed carrying before he asks.
    Last edited by Cobra; 02-22-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: addition

I would use the aforementioned procedure in any situation involving a police officer, not just a traffic stop.

It does vary by state....some states require the notification by law...others do not. In the states where it is not required there is usually so pretty good debates as whether one should notify anyway.

I am of the camp where if there is no reason for the cop to know..not getting out of the car.. then I am not going to bring it up. There are too many stories of cops that do not know how to handle the situation...

6. Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I am of the camp where if there is no reason for the cop to know..not getting out of the car.. then I am not going to bring it up. There are too many stories of cops that do not know how to handle the situation...
    That is exactly what I am concerned about. My instintcs tell me that so many CCW permits have been issued that LEOs are welll aware the odds of stopping someone with a weapon (legally licensed) are high. I do not think it would be the seasoned State Trooper that would be perplexed on what to do, I would be more concerned about the part time deputies etc... Does that make sense????l
    Last edited by Geezer1; 02-22-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: correct typo

Regardless of state law requiring notification or not, I advise my students to inform the LEO whenever involved in an official encounter initiated by LEO (traffic stop, etc.). From talking to various LEO in various jurisdictions, you will be a lot better off if you inform the LEO that you're armed rather than them finding out and being "surprised".

Specifically in a traffic stop, turn on all interior lights when appropriate (so the officer can see what you're doing in the vehicle). Keep your hands on the wheel, and don't fumble for paperwork or anything else. Open the window approached by the officer a few inches (some officers approach from the passenger side if it's safer to do so). If your windows are heavily tinted, you may want to roll them down a little more. Communicate with the officer and get permission before retrieving paperwork or making any movements. For example, when the officer asks for your license, registration, and proof of insurance, tell the officer where they are located and get permission before retrieving the documents. I keep my CC permits with my driver's license. The officer will get the appropriate CC permit/license along with my driver's license. When retrieving the paperwork, let the officer know wehre it's located and use slow but deliberate movements when retrieving them. Be respectful with the officer and do your best to comply with their instructions.

I've been through at least 2 traffic stops while armed, followed procedure as described above and had no problems with the officers I encountered. Some may argue that the officer will "freak out" and give you more grief than necessary for informing them. From my experience and talking to others who have gone through a traffic stop while armed, it's unlikely that the officer will freak out. If you do get an officer that freaks out, stay calm and comply as best you can. The officer would probably have freaked out for something if you hadn't informed them. Document the facts of the incident as best you can, then follow up with appropriate action AFTER the encounter is over.

Most importantly, DO NOT leave the scene until the officer informs you that you are "free to go". If in doubt, ask the officer "Excuse me officer, am I free to go". Better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

8. [QUOTE=Glock Fan;116577]Regardless of state law requiring notification or not, I advise my students to inform the LEO whenever involved in an official encounter initiated by LEO (traffic stop, etc.). From talking to various LEO in various jurisdictions, you will be a lot better off if you inform the LEO that you're armed rather than them finding out and being "surprised".

Specifically in a traffic stop, turn on all interior lights when appropriate (so the officer can see what you're doing in the vehicle). Keep your hands on the wheel, and don't fumble for paperwork or anything else. Open the window approached by the officer a few inches (some officers approach from the passenger side if it's safer to do so). If your windows are heavily tinted, you may want to roll them down a little more. Communicate with the officer and get permission before retrieving paperwork or making any movements. For example, when the officer asks for your license, registration, and proof of insurance, tell the officer where they are located and get permission before retrieving the documents. I keep my CC permits with my driver's license. The officer will get the appropriate CC permit/license along with my driver's license. When retrieving the paperwork, let the officer know wehre it's located and use slow but deliberate movements when retrieving them. Be respectful with the officer and do your best to comply with their instructions.

I've been through at least 2 traffic stops while armed, followed procedure as described above and had no problems with the officers I encountered. Some may argue that the officer will "freak out" and give you more grief than necessary for informing them. From my experience and talking to others who have gone through a traffic stop while armed, it's unlikely that the officer will freak out. If you do get an officer that freaks out, stay calm and comply as best you can. The officer would probably have freaked out for something if you hadn't informed them. Document the facts of the incident as best you can, then follow up with appropriate action AFTER the encounter is over.

Most importantly, DO NOT leave the scene until the officer informs you that you are "free to go". If in doubt, ask the officer "Excuse me officer, am I free to go". Better to be safe than sorry!

Good luck!

That is some good common sense advice. Personally, I prefer to be respectful, obey and polite. Turing on the interior lights (assuming at low light or nite) and keeping your hands on the wheel make perfect sense until asked for your license. Slow deliberate moves are also good common sense. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Ya know, I have heard from reputable sources BGs being drawn on by LEOs and instructed to keep their hands on thier head, but they still make a move for a weapon. God Lord what is this society coming to. Thats one reason I have a CCW license, albeit newly issued.

I second everything Glock Fan said.
    Here in Texas we are still required to notify if we are carrying when stopped. Through a strange twist in a new law that allows concealed guns in autos without a permit those without permits are NOT required to notify the officer. Figure that one out.
    However, I would add that it is a good idea to let the officer know you have a permit because they are often a little more at ease when they realize they are dealing with someone who has a clean record.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

10. [QUOTE=AvidshooterTX;116580] Through a strange twist in a new law that allows concealed guns in autos without a permit those without permits are NOT required to notify the officer. Figure that one out.

I would surely like to know the rationale behind that move of legislation. Must have something to do with someone carrying back and forth to a range, hunting etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I second everything Glock Fan said.
    Here in Texas we are still required to notify if we are carrying when stopped. Through a strange twist in a new law that allows concealed guns in autos without a permit those without permits are NOT required to notify the officer. Figure that one out.
    I thought that the new TX law merely removed the penalty for not informing...?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast