Body armor - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Body armor

Well I admitted not knowing much about the subject and wondered if technology had advanced to the point that it was affordable, lightweight and comfortable. Now that I know all 3 answers are "no" I'll continue to go naked.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

You can find lightweight body armor for $199. This will stop calibers up to .38 special. Not a whole lot of protection, but a lot better than nothing.

Keep in mind that most high power rifle rounds will penetrate your everyday "cop" body armor. Soft body armor is mainly designed to protect against handgun rounds.

I'm sure you'll be better off without body armor on an every day basis, but keep a vest in your SHTF kit or possibly in the trunk of your car. Never know when it will come in handy.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Well I admitted not knowing much about the subject and wondered if technology had advanced to the point that it was affordable, lightweight and comfortable. Now that I know all 3 answers are "no" I'll continue to go naked.
    Well, affordability and lightweight are subject to definition. (OK, technically comfort is too but let's face it, unless you live in the Yukon, it won't be comfortable year-round.) The price on ebay for level IIIA armor ranges from $150 to $400, and a size XL is in the 7 lb range. Now, that is the highest rating for soft armor and it's rated for a 44 magnum. I don't think too many gang bangers are toting around Dirty Harry guns. A level IIA is rated for 9mm or .40 S/W. That runs around $100-$150 and is a bit lighter. Neither those prices or weights seem too high to me, considering the purpose of the vest. If it weren't for the hot, humid summers I just might were one. But having to wring the sweat out of it every night is the deal breaker for me.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    You can find lightweight body armor for $199. This will stop calibers up to .38 special. Not a whole lot of protection, but a lot better than nothing.

Keep in mind that most high power rifle rounds will penetrate your everyday "cop" body armor. Soft body armor is mainly designed to protect against handgun rounds.

I'm sure you'll be better off without body armor on an every day basis, but keep a vest in your SHTF kit or possibly in the trunk of your car. Never know when it will come in handy.

gf
    Yeah, that too.

And in that case, you might as well have level IV with sleeves, groin, and neck protection, plus a good helmet.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

6. Body armor is becoming more advanced, and I'm curious as to how the dragonskin armor will advance past the point it is now.

I do however, agree that keeping body armor in your SHTF kit, is a good idea. Never know when anything might hit. Look at Chile.

7. Armor is good to have if you need it.

Presently, government, mass media and our courts tend to vilify body armor. Too bad. It's still a Good Thing, that harms no one.

As a motorcyclist, I wear a different type of "armor," inserts in jacket and pants, designed to resist abrasion and possibly cushion shock. But the aim is still to minimize injury, should I be exposed to it.

I live in the comparatively cool and wet Pacific Northwest.

If the outcome of a 2+ year divorce had not just left me flirting with Chapter Thirteen, I'd direct some disposable income toward acquiring a riding jacket that would be armor against both road abrasion and pistol bullets, without having the appearance of conventional body armor. And I would be VERY unlikely to admit to anyone, particularly the Law, that my jacket was anything more than "road armor."

Come to think of it, I did come out of the divorce with my mother's old industrial strength Necchi BU sewing machine. Perhaps hope is not entirely dead...
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Being involved in a self defense confrontation (or Heaven forbid, a actual shooting) and having the LEO discover you are wearing a vest is gonna make it look like you are hunting for trouble. A clever DA with an agenda or the just opinion that you ARE guilty is gonna have a field day about how you were armored up and walking the streets.
    What if you work durring the night shift collecting road tolls on the WV turnpike?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123