Concealed carry in gun shops - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry in gun shops

I frequent gun shops and I am always carrying my firearm... "concealed". No problems..

3. Pulling out a concealed firearm in a store is a no no. If you need to check a holster fit then bring the fire arm in in its case then ask permission to fit holsters. Pullinga loaded firearm out in a store is an accident waiting to happen. here in Maine are you located. If you're close by I will stop by and check your store out.
    Last edited by hoover39; 02-26-2010 at 08:01 PM. Reason: miss spelling

I have worked behind the counter in a gun store. I remember always watching the eyes, then the hands. Sometimes I could see stupid coming, sometimes it was a surprise.

Nothing will wake you up faster then some moron waving a pistol around like it was a candy bar.

Put up signs, sure put up all you want. Some read them, most don't.

Everyone becareful. Please.

Triple check your actions before servicing.

I'm certainly not an attorney and my reply is only my opinion based on life's observations, but it would seem to me that when the gun comes out of the holster, ALL liability would be in your hands. Since there appears to be no set gun "policy" in place and what appears to be a great number of customers in your store (based on your original posting), a "Negligent Discharge", with injury, may get the lawyers and your insurance company busy in this sue happy society we live in over this imagined incident. And guess who allowed this practice and eventual discharge to happen?

I support all gun stores that allow both open and CC carry and would like to see ALL stores apply this common sense practice, it is a dad gum gun store! But I do understand some of the reasoning behind the no-gun, no-loaded gun policies especially when they have to deal with their insurance companies demands, company costs including bonds and possibly state and city laws.

The one thing that a store has NO control over is the "Customers Level of Training". In time, their level is revealed in either their conversations, how they handle weapons you are showing them for purchase or their range activities. It may be enlightening for you and your father/son to take some time with your customers and quiz them on their firearms background and maybe a deeper communication with your insurance company and your business attorney in order to make a better informed decision as to whether you should put up a sign or not.

Insurance companies and lawyers are ruining this country.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

All the gun shops I go to have signs no loaded firearms allowed, I know this is mostly for liability concerns, if your wanting to try a holster, ask about a trade or whatever, be sure its unloaded and do it in a safe manner, before presenting it, now you and your son as shop owners are within your rights to make any rule you wish, to ensure the safety of your customers, even the idiots, I know the hoops you have had to jump thru and the cost to get your FFL, all it would take is one ******* to screw things up big time

OK, here are a few common-sense things to do as a customer:
    1. If you plan to ask about trading a firearm or fitting it for a holster, etc. take it unloaded in a case and carry something else. If you don't have two carry guns shame on you. Get another. You will need another one in case you are ever involved in a shooting because the cops will probably take your piece, at least for some period of time.
    2. If you are carrying at the gun store and suddenly have the urge to show your carry piece to the store clerk for whatever reason make sure you inform him first and make very deliberate movements in handling the firearm and clearing it before it ever exchanges hands.
    3. Resist the urge to show your carry piece to anyone else, especially a perfect stranger. Who knows what their motivations are? I was appauled when I was in a gun store in Houston looking at holsters and another gentleman doing the same decided to pull out his pocket auto and show it to me right there. He was well-intentioned and seemed like a nice guy but it made me VERY uncomfortable. By doing so he showed me what he was carrying and where. If I decided to wait outside for him and mug him I'd know just what to watch for. Stupid.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

9. Here Arizona, for open carry people and concealed carry people who have load firearm they must keep it in holster before you go in the Gun shop. But few Gun shop, for open carry people and concealed carry people must unload firearm before you go in the Gun shop.

If you want to trade a firearm at the Gun shop, the firearm must unload and in case container.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    OK, here are a few common-sense things to do as a customer:
    1. If you plan to ask about trading a firearm or fitting it for a holster, etc. take it unloaded in a case and carry something else. If you don't have two carry guns shame on you. Get another. You will need another one in case you are ever involved in a shooting because the cops will probably take your piece, at least for some period of time.
    avid, Having a backup carry firearm should be the least of ones concerns if you are invovled in a situation involving use of a firearm in self-defense.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    avid, Having a backup carry firearm should be the least of ones concerns if you are invovled in a situation involving use of a firearm in self-defense.
    I completely diaagree. BG's have family and friends, especially if he's a gang member, and I don't want to be left empty-handed after shooting a perp.
    Avidshooter (Texas)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast