Concealed carry in gun shops - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Concealed carry in gun shops

Stockton Springs Maine. Originally from Vinalhaven Maine

This is what I do:

Quote Originally Posted by ayotte50 View Post
    Hello usa carry community. My first post today. Im Paul, my son Nick and I have a small gun shop in Maine (Just 4 months now) and we are wondering how some of you veterans handle the concealed carry in the gun shop. What is the proper protocol for pulling out loaded firearms in the shop or not doing so. It's a bit unnerving to me.I know there are some folks that like to show their carry piece and even discuss trading them. Gun shop owners Please give me some of your thoughts on this one, Thanx
    When I have the occasion to take a gun into a gun shop, for whatever reason, I always bring it in some kind of container, this can even be a paper bag. I lay the container on the counter and open it after Ive been asked,"how may I help you". I then explain what my business is. I let the clerk pick the gun up. It goes without saying that the gun is ALWAYS unloaded.
    As for my concealed carry weapon for which I of course have a permit, it never comes out of concealment unless I would have the occasion to use it. [So far Ive never had to, thank God!] If for some reason, I can't imagine what, I would want to show my concealed carry weapon to the store clerk, I would first return to my car, unload the gun, and then return to the counter and present it to the clerk in the same manner as described above.

Every Gun Shop I have ever been to in FL has a sign that flat out says NO LOADED FIREARMS IN THE STORE. The only time it is allowed to be loaded is when you are on ON the range.

My understanding in FL you CWP is only good if their is no signage prohibiting firearms/weapons of course all that other schtuff about Fed Building, Banks, Post Office etc......

how about a clearing area. a 55 gal drum filled with sand mounted on an angle iron and a wide heavy duty pipe welded to the front. taek out your weapon, insert the barrel of your weapon just far enought down the pipe so you can safely unload it. same procedure if you want to re holster your weapon. This is for anyone that decides while they are in their they need to unholster their piece. Many different versions of a safey clearing area. Could be outside [in good weather** You could combine with other procedures outside on a sign. Just a suggestion.

While it would be nice if every gun owner out there was as cautious as myself, and from the sounds of it the members of this forum. I would be very nervous of someone pulling out a loaded weapon in a crowded area is nothing less than negligent. Any weapon being brought into the store that isn't going to stay holstered should be unloaded and either in a case or in a state that clearly demonstrates it's unloaded. I know at my gunshop back in Richmond, VT I'd walk in with my rifles with the bolt slid back and the stock tucked under my arm with the barrel pointed at the ground. Of course Richmond is a very rural area, the store never had more than two or three other people in the store and I knew the owner.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    how about a clearing area. a 55 gal drum filled with sand mounted on an angle iron and a wide heavy duty pipe welded to the front. taek out your weapon, insert the barrel of your weapon just far enought down the pipe so you can safely unload it. same procedure if you want to re holster your weapon. This is for anyone that decides while they are in their they need to unholster their piece. Many different versions of a safey clearing area. Could be outside [in good weather** You could combine with other procedures outside on a sign. Just a suggestion.
    The issue is that takes up a significant amount of space, and while it would minimize any disasters it doesn't protect against them. It's not that much work to unload your weapon at home or in the comfort of your own vehicle. Most gun stores I've been in are fairly small, and independently owned. Not really enough room to justify sacraficing that amount of space for a clearing area.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    A gun store without a bulllet hole in the wall hasn't been open very long. Some very good points in this thread and we all have to remember is that the majority of people walking into a gun store, even if they have a permit and are carrying concealed are not nearly as familiar with gun safety rules as most people posting on this board. You ask the average person about a sign such as keep your concealed weapon concealed you will find that the sign does not apply to them. If you call them on it they get mad and leave. Ther is a thread on another board about a manager of a business responding to a question about why they have a no guns allowed sign on the front door of the store. The manager decided to ban guns in the store when they found the third gun in the dressing room in less than two years. Yes they walk among us.
    Left the gun in the dressing room huh. Sounds like one of those government Homeland Security officials hard at work
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    Left the gun in the dressing room huh. Sounds like one of those government Homeland Security officials hard at work
    I had that exact same thought but alas I don't think it was. remember that they walk among us and have rights.

9. There are two shops in my local area. One requires all weapons unloaded, and the other only requires holstered or in a case.
    I frequent the holstered shop. What is the difference between a gun shop requiring weapons being unloaded and restaurants with no gun signs? I will spend my money elsewhere.

10. The shop where I go has a sign "That's a nice gun in your holster please keep it there"
    Jason
    Michigan

Gun shops do get robbed once in a while. I am uncomfortable with someone coming into a shop with a gun that is not in a case with the action open. For those with a holstered gun, leave it in the holster. Chances are the gun shop will have an identical gun that HAS been cleared. Also, CONSIDER HAVING ONE OR TWO METAL GARBAGE CANS FULL OF SAND in the store. Guns can be cleared with the muzzle pointed into the sand.

There was an event at a gun show where a vendor had a gun on his table that had a round in the chamber. He accidentally shot his friend because the vendor had not cleared it AND the shooter was sweeping everyone in the whole building. This also applies to gun shops- clear all guns, even ones in the display case. It's also easy for someone to come into the store with a loaded magazine only, ask to see a gun, load it, and rob the store with their own gun. Scary.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast