Carrying in Georgia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying in Georgia

Carrying in Georgia

I have asked two different sherrif depts the explanation of the carrying of open or hidden and got two different off the wall answers, it seems local police agencies are as confused as us GA residents are

Ask state police, it should prevail. Indiana used to require you to tell
    the officer. As I have been looking Indiana now does NOT REQUIRE
    you to do so. A while back in noblesville Indiana I was around a cop
    at a scene and was carrying, I told hike about it and he said to just leave
    it there no to worry but he doesn't want to see it,ie: flashing it around, lol
    no reasone to. I know I can, I do so I'm good. I just hate having to
    wait to upgrade/ renew for my lifetime. Oh well. Check with state laws,
    all I can say.

GA is an open carry state (with permit) or you may conceal at your discreation (with permit). There are arguments on carring both ways. In GA the only permit you need/can get is the GFL. With that you may carry a firearm in public less the restriction imposed by state and federal laws. 16-11-126 - 16-11-128 are gonna be your state restrictions with 16-11-130 being a list of exemptions from those restrictions. I mostly Conceal carry but have Open carried in Macon and Warner robins with out issue. Obtaining a GFL is very easy and straight forward. A trip to the probate courts for the simple paper work plus about $60 (was 40) and some finger prints wait about 7 days (give or take) and you have your GFL.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

5. Quote Originally Posted by marionandjohn View Post
    GA is an open carry state (with permit) or you may conceal at your discreation (with permit). There are arguments on carring both ways. In GA the only permit you need/can get is the GFL. With that you may carry a firearm in public less the restriction imposed by state and federal laws. 16-11-126 - 16-11-128 are gonna be your state restrictions with 16-11-130 being a list of exemptions from those restrictions. I mostly Conceal carry but have Open carried in Macon and Warner robins with out issue. Obtaining a GFL is very easy and straight forward. A trip to the probate courts for the simple paper work plus about $60 (was 40) and some finger prints wait about 7 days (give or take) and you have your GFL.
    Your lucky,They told me it could take up to 30 days and i live in carrollton,Ga.Howdy neighbor.

I have my GFL, one time I asked a retired Atlanta Police Officer while showing him my GFL and he stated it does not say concealed on it, so I went back to the County Probate Office and asked the clerk. She stated which I found out to be true the GFL even if it does not state which way to carry in fact allows either way. Does anyone know is it lawful as to rather the pistol is loaded or not makes any difference?

Info

Quote Originally Posted by Yosimite sam View Post
    Your lucky,They told me it could take up to 30 days and i live in carrollton,Ga.Howdy neighbor.
    can the pistol be loaded or not? and is loaded mean as to your thoughts a clip with rounds or one in the cylinder? thanks neighbor.

8. Quote Originally Posted by harley97wg View Post
    can the pistol be loaded or not? and is loaded mean as to your thoughts a clip with rounds or one in the cylinder? thanks neighbor.
    I can here,but i`m not sure if the same applies in your location.To play it safe ask your local sheriff`s dept to be sure.Best of luck neighbor.

9. I'm in Fayette Co and got mine in 7 days.

10. Quote Originally Posted by jreXD9 View Post
    I'm in Fayette Co and got mine in 7 days.
    It`s been eleven day`s since since I Applied for my permit and have not received it yet,i hope i get it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by harley97wg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosimite sam View Post
    I can here,but i`m not sure if the same applies in your location.To play it safe ask your local sheriff`s dept to be sure.Best of luck neighbor.
    If you have the permit, you can OC or CC and it can be loaded. And this does not vary by locale. GA has statewide preemption laws that trump local/ county laws.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast