Did I make a good choice for my primary carry piece?

Thread: Did I make a good choice for my primary carry piece?

1. Did I make a good choice for my primary carry piece?

I have been reading posts on the site for about a month now, and have really enjoyed the input that I have heard from others. We were on vacation in Florida for the month of February (I am an Ohio resident), so I was able to do a little research while we were gone as to what I would like to carry but I was not able to get serious about buying a carry gun until we got back to Ohio.

Someone on this forum suggested Fin, Feather, and Fur as a good place to go, and they were right. After looking at several options, I had pretty well settled on a SW MP 40 with laser sites. Just before making the purchase, though, I asked to hold a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry 45. It was quite a bit more (about 40% more), but it felt so nice in my hand that I went the Kimber route. I was able to fire similar models to the two I was considering before settling on the Kimber.

I would appreciate the input of others on my choice. The biggest criticism of the Kimber unit that I have heard is that it is single action, but from a safety standpoint I actually like that. The only option I wish it had was a decock mechanism. If it had that, it would be perfect in my opinion.

Thanks,

Neal

If it works for you then you made a good choice. I am one of those that likes DBL Action/Single Action or DBL Action only better than single action. There are others that like single action. Matter of preference. I also feel that price should not be the over riding factor in a firearm purchase. My HK was far from the cheapest gun out there but when it comes to something I may need to save my life or a family member I will just have to find some other place to scrimp.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

4. Anything but a hi-point!

Neal, The end choice is yours, What feels comfortable, What You can control and goes click, bang, not click,click click click,

But Kimbers are nice and one of my 5 on the wish list...
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I have been reading posts on the site for about a month now, and have really enjoyed the input that I have heard from others. We were on vacation in Florida for the month of February (I am an Ohio resident), so I was able to do a little research while we were gone as to what I would like to carry but I was not able to get serious about buying a carry gun until we got back to Ohio.

Someone on this forum suggested Fin, Feather, and Fur as a good place to go, and they were right. After looking at several options, I had pretty well settled on a SW MP 40 with laser sites. Just before making the purchase, though, I asked to hold a Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry 45. It was quite a bit more (about 40% more), but it felt so nice in my hand that I went the Kimber route. I was able to fire similar models to the two I was considering before settling on the Kimber.

I would appreciate the input of others on my choice. The biggest criticism of the Kimber unit that I have heard is that it is single action, but from a safety standpoint I actually like that. The only option I wish it had was a decock mechanism. If it had that, it would be perfect in my opinion.

Thanks,

Neal

A 1911 pistol was designed to be "cocked & locked". No real need for a "decock" mechanism. To render the pistol "safe", simply drop the magazine and cycle the slide several times.

As for the laser sight, they're not all that they're cracked up to be. Many of them will become dirty or fouled after a few shots and I've seen cases where a short circuit causes the battery to drain prematurely. The more "bells and whistles" you have on your firearm, the higher the possibility that one of them is gonna fail.

Be sure to break your Kimber in properly (as in read the book and fire the prescribed number of rounds) before attempting to adjust your sights. Failure to do so may result in needing to unnecessarily readjust your sights later.

Great choice in firearm. Happy shooting!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

A few years ago I retired my Commander for a lighter pistol: a Kimber Ultra CDP is now my 'carry .45' -- I love the pistol.

So, I know you made an excellent choice.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam