9 MM vrs 45 - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 MM vrs 45

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    I've read all three pages of posts mentioning 9mm, .40, .45, & .357. But I just spoke with my firearm(mr. Kimber) and he said that his 10mm rules!!! Talking about stopping power, I load my Kimber with 180 gr. Buffalo Bore ammo (1,350fps/782 ft. lbs.) Wow!!!

Do you guys remember the 1911 conversion kit turning the .45acp into the powerful .45 SUPER!!!
    Ace Custom 45s, Inc.
    There is also the .400 Corbon, which is basically a .45ACP necked down to .40 caliber. Sort of a reverse .41AE. I know of at least one shooter who converted his G21 to the caliber.

Personally I carry a .45 (Glock 30SF) and my capacity is 10+1 (plenty IMO). I also carry a spare mag with another 10 rounds for a total of 21 .45 ACP. When I first shot a .45 I found there to be much, much more 'push' than recoil. My Glock 23 (.40 cal) has a nice sharp recoil to it, but my .45 is much softer but has more push. Frankly I love my .45 and will carry nothing else. As has been said, you carry what you handle best. Fortunately for me it's my nice capacity .45.
    Glock 23, 30SF
    S&W M&P 9c, 40c
    Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

I have both a 9mm and a .45acp. I shoot Federal Hi-Shok JHP +P+ in my 9mm. With that hot round I can't tell any difference between it and my .45acp. But I prefer the .45acp because it holds 10+1. Your the one that will have to use your Cadillac pistola, so you be your own judge...

5. To Iceman and LGH: It would appear you guys are both legitimate, so any further debate on eachother's qualifications and/or past events isn't very productive. LGH, to be honest though, your first post did seem very similar to a lot of other internet warriors. Many times I'd have liked to state my qualifications, especially to back-up my own opinions, but since I'm still currently active duty, I don't disclose my job, other than I'm military.

As for the debate, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned weight and size. These (IMHO), are commonly overlooked factors in choosing a CCW gun. .45's and higher are pretty big guns, although they have slimmed down quite a bit. I carry a 9mm myself, and can get many rounds down range accurately in a short period of time. For me, the added weight and bulk of a .45 isn't worth the extra stopping power. If I'm ever in a bad situation, I'm going to fire until the threat is stopped, regardless of the caliber. Choosing to carry a 9mm or even a .380, will stop the majority of threats quickly and effectively. As what has already been stated, it's about shot placement, and getting rounds down range, not the power of the round.

What is the old saying? 9 mm is .45 set on stun. Just kidding but with all due respect you want something with enough punch to let the BG know you mean business. Could a 9 mm do that? Probabily, could a .45 do it? Yup. What ever you decide , practice makes perfect.
    Good luck and God speed
    State and local politicians should be on notice: the Second Amendment is a normal part of the Bill of Rights, and it is coming to your town.
    Attorney Alan Gura

There is a "Handgun Cartridge Power" Chart that shows the Caliber, Load, Bullet, Penetration (in Gel), and One Shot Stopping Percentage. See (or actually copy and paste) this link into your Address Bar. http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm
    Besides the chart, I have heard that the 40 Caliber has the best stopping power for its size. When I found this chart, I was looking for another one that basically states (and shows) that anything bigger than a 40 Caliber will not accomplish or do any more damage, than the 40 - in a handgun).

9mm is a fine round for shooting Europeans. For serious work though, use the .45.

I couldn't resist, and I surely do jest. .45 is my preference.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    9mm is a fine round for shooting Europeans. For serious work though, use the .45.

I couldn't resist, and I surely do jest. .45 is my preference.
    The 9mm has shot more Europeans, Africans, Austrians, Asians, Russians, Central, and south Americans, and Cubans then the .45 has.

I feel the .45 is one hell of a cartridge. The 1911 platform, I feel is fantastic, and almost unequaled in functionally, and beauty, and performance. It is a timeless classic.

However, I prefer the 9mm for a duty firearm .

I carry a revolver or a mousegun for CC.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterLee View Post
    There is a "Handgun Cartridge Power" Chart that shows the Caliber, Load, Bullet, Penetration (in Gel), and One Shot Stopping Percentage. See (or actually copy and paste) this link into your Address Bar. http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm
    Besides the chart, I have heard that the 40 Caliber has the best stopping power for its size. When I found this chart, I was looking for another one that basically states (and shows) that anything bigger than a 40 Caliber will not accomplish or do any more damage, than the 40 - in a handgun).
    Yours is a link to more than one test that showed that the 357 Mag has the best stopping power of any round. I've been thinking about one of these for my next firearm.

Taurus 605 .357mag 2" Matte Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $339.00

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast