9 MM vrs 45 - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: 9 MM vrs 45

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Yours is a link to more than one test that showed that the 357 Mag has the best stopping power of any round. I've been thinking about one of these for my next firearm.

Taurus 605 .357mag 2" Matte Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $339.00
    125g JHP .357 is the best man stopper of all. Power house loads will not be kind to the shooter or that Taurus. Test drive the larger smith's. 686 is my choice.
    You will not be very happy using .357 in a 2"in barrel. It will hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Yours is a link to more than one test that showed that the 357 Mag has the best stopping power of any round. I've been thinking about one of these for my next firearm.

Taurus 605 .357mag 2" Matte Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $339.00
    Are you guys kidding?? You didn't read my post?? A .357 Magnum doesn't even compare with my 10mm, period! Why carry a 6 shot revolver? When you can carry a 9 shot semi-automatic in a tried & true 1911 frame! The 10mm is a Bigger, Faster & Stronger bullet!!

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    Are you guys kidding?? You didn't read my post?? A .357 Magnum doesn't even compare with my 10mm, period! Why carry a 6 shot revolver? When you can carry a 9 shot semi-automatic in a tried & true 1911 frame! The 10mm is a Bigger, Faster & Stronger bullet!!
    Ricardo, on paper the 10 mm loaded up will out perform the .357.
    How big is that 10mm pushing those hot loads? .357's come in many sizes. How much do those 10mm's cost at your local walmart? They don't stock them. Unless you are wealthy, or hand load, becoming proficient with a 10mm can be a chore, or very expensive.

Can you fire the 10mm's little brother the .40 in your 10mm pistol? The .38 will work very well in all .357's. Does anyone make a rifle in 10mm? I have seen a few lever actions in .357. How many companies make 10mm? How many manufacture .38 and .357? How many hand loadings available for the 10mm? How many for the .38 and .357. How many commercially made rounds available for all?

Yes Ricardo, you are correct, the 10mm is more powerful.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    Ricardo, on paper the 10 mm loaded up will out perform the .357.
    How big is that 10mm pushing those hot loads? .357's come in many sizes. How much do those 10mm's cost at your local walmart? They don't stock them. Unless you are wealthy, or hand load, becoming proficient with a 10mm can be a chore, or very expensive.

Can you fire the 10mm's little brother the .40 in your 10mm pistol? The .38 will work very well in all .357's. Does anyone make a rifle in 10mm? I have seen a few lever actions in .357. How many companies make 10mm? How many manufacture .38 and .357? How many hand loadings available for the 10mm? How many for the .38 and .357. How many commercially made rounds available for all?

Yes Ricardo, you are correct, the 10mm is more powerful.
    Yep, those are major downers! Walmart don't stock it and a box of fmj could easily cost up to $40 and that if you are able to find it. The good thing about the 10mm is that its built on a 1911 platform and the recoil is very similar to that of the .45.

Can I fire a .40 in my 10mm? I don't think so. I believe the 10mm cartridge is a little larger than the .40S&W. I definitely can shoot .40 out of my Glock 31(.357) with just a barrell swap.

Companies that make 10mm? I know of Kimber, Glock & Bren Ten just to name a few. Like you said the ammo is huge turnoff with alot of enthusiasts.

I don't shoot it often because of the cost, ammo restrictions in my city and availability. My 10mm is more of a conversational piece.

If you purchase a S&W 610 or similar revolver, you can use 10mm or 40S&W ammo with moonclips.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    If you purchase a S&W 610 or similar revolver, you can use 10mm or 40S&W ammo with moonclips.
    I thought this was about 9mm vs 45 acp?

Shot Placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Which can you shoot better?

Quote Originally Posted by danhammondsr View Post
    Shot Placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Which can you shoot better?
    I believe the .45acp is more accurate if you have no time limits. It is a proven one shot man stopper. I can get some fantastic groups with mine.

I have done experiments with 3 different shooters. Glock 17c (9mm) vs Glock 21 .45 acp) 10 rounds, 20 seconds FBI target 21 feet.

Hands down, the 9mm wins.

If I I were to be in a firefight. Had a choice of pistols. I would take the Glock 17c. My first choice would be to grab the pump 12 gauge. But that is another topic.

yay, the great debate...I'm a 9mm guy, and here's why-

1) More ammo in the same sized gun, and usually more ammo in a smaller gun...more lead = good
    2) Cheaper to shoot...quick comparison shows 9mm is .12 cheaper per round for same brand practice ammo ($120 per 1000 rds) that's 50% more ammo for the same money
    3) Lower recoil leads to faster follow on shots (I don't know about you, but if I shoot once there a good chance I'm shooting more)
    4) Modern bullet technology has made the difference in 1/10 of an inch basically negligable
    5) No handgun bullet is a one shot "man stopper" and while the 45 does hit with more "force" +p and +p+ loads close that gap significantly

Those are my reasons, everybody has their own. Shoot them both, see what is more comfortable. Try some 357 and 40, you don't really know what you will be happy with until you give them a try. I tinkered in 40 for a very short stint, but the combination of the above mentioned reasons AND a poor firearm experience confirmed my faith in 9mm.

I would go with the 45, even though you lose 1 round. 1 isn't enough to make a differance, unless your a bad shot. Statistics, balistics and second hand will tell you that 45 is better for personal defence, and more knock down. i have 9mm, which is fine for me, it trust it. Ammo price wouldn't deter me from 45.
    The only real world expeience I have with the knock down power of the two is a second hand story from some Marines I used to camp and shoot with. One said he was on patrol some where and they came under fire. One of his guys got hit in the chest, wearing body armor, with two 9mm, and barely flinched. then he was hit by a 45 that knocked him on his ass. Didn't penetrate the armor, but he knew he got hit. That was good enough for me to know the differance.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast