9 MM vrs 45 - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 9 MM vrs 45

Quote Originally Posted by Ektarr View Post
    .45. Hands down. Followed closely by the .357...Sig -or- Magnum. One Man's opinion.

I second that opinion.
    Americas Epitaph
    "Since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, He gave them up to a depraved mind, to do what should not be done"

Quote Originally Posted by danhammondsr View Post
    Shot Placement is King. Penetration is Queen. Everything else is just angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Which can you shoot better?
    Let me rephrase that, which one can YOU shoot better? You personally. If you can handle both well, and shoot both accurately, the choice is a no-brainer, .45. If you can't keep the .45 on a nine inch paper plate at reasonable defensive distances (for the sake of argument let's use 10 yards as a gauge), then it's the 9mm.

Sight picture and accuracy all relates to time and distance. More distance you need more time, and probably have more time, and you'll need a better sight picture to make your shots count. Less distance, you need less time, and probably have less time to make your shots count.

So, which one can YOU shoot better? (yes, I know a lot depends on the make, model, size, caliber, hand-size, etc.)

The question goes back to the OP as to with which one can he mainatain defensive accuracy? If you can do that with the .45, then .45 is the choice. Price break be damned on defensive ammunition. Shoot what works best.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by danhammondsr View Post
    Let me rephrase that, which one can YOU shoot better? You personally. If you can handle both well, and shoot both accurately, the choice is a no-brainer, .45. If you can't keep the .45 on a nine inch paper plate at reasonable defensive distances (for the sake of argument let's use 10 yards as a gauge), then it's the 9mm.

Sight picture and accuracy all relates to time and distance. More distance you need more time, and probably have more time, and you'll need a better sight picture to make your shots count. Less distance, you need less time, and probably have less time to make your shots count.

So, which one can YOU shoot better? (yes, I know a lot depends on the make, model, size, caliber, hand-size, etc.)

The question goes back to the OP as to with which one can he mainatain defensive accuracy? If you can do that with the .45, then .45 is the choice. Price break be damned on defensive ammunition. Shoot what works best.
    If one can't hit a 9 inch diameter paper plate at 10 yards with a .45, what makes you think it can be done with a 9mm?
    I personally think all the hype about the .45 being the only acceptable defensive caliber, is a load of bull crap. Every gun rag at the corner drug store says the same thing. Has anyone priced .45 pistols vs 9mm? Why is the .45 much more expensive? More engineering, much more metal? No, its more, cause its a .45. Who pays the gun writers for evals? Someone sends me a nice 1911, I will spend days writing a glowing review. I personally think the .45 hype is driven by macho-ism. You know, the loud pipes on the 6 cylinder 1500 pickup truck? The 29 pound tom turkey at thanksgiving? The fishing boat with the 250 HP motor? The smiling bob enzyte commercials. It is all about bigger is better. Right fellas? Stop thinking with your little head.
    I don't dispute the power of the .45 acp. The 1911 platform, i consider as my favorite. However, its all about rounds on target, rounds down range.

5. Personally I shoot equally well with the 9mm or the 45acp. For protection, I want the biggest hole maker that I can carry easily...so it is a compact 1911 45 acp.

ken

I know I'm late, but I got a bunch of pennies so I'm gonna lay my 2 cents down.

The question, in and of itself is moot. Either round has more than enough power to kill a human being. We've all heard the horror stories about someone shooting a BG in the head with a .32, .380, 9mm etc. and it glancing off. This isn't a question of the rounds stopping or penetrating power, it's bad luck. To put things in perspective, when I was 10 years old I went hunting for the first time. My father gave me my .22 target rifle (old remington, 5 shot mag, thing was almost as tall as me) and took me out in the woods. Being my first year this was supposed to be more about training than getting a deer, he was showing me how to properly track, judge where the deer might be, etc. He left me in an old abandoned orchard (great places to look for deer, old overrun apple orchards are like crack to deer) and went to "flush out" the deer (pretty sure he went back to camp for a drink, he was a bit of a boozer). I'm sitting there waiting for 20 minutes or so and what comes out, a big buck. Now that I'm older and slightly wiser (not much) I wouldn't take the shot with a .22. However back then I did, and I dropped the sucker in one shot. Admittedly the deer may have died more out of shock than actual damage inflicted "Did that kid just shoot me with a BB Gun? Oh god, my heart!". It's almost funny trying to picture what I looked like, a 100lb kid trying to drag a 125lb buck out of the woods.

In short, any round is exceedingly lethal. It really boils down to personal preference and what you're comfortable with. I personally carry a MK9 (9mm) as my every day piece. The reason being it's one of the smallest guns I can find that I find to be reliable, accurate and lets face it....quite the looker. In my home however I rely on a .45 lc, concealment isn't an issue and I grew up on larger calibers, I am honestly more comfortable with them. I wouldn't put a whole lot on round count either, most incidents are resolved with the first shot or two. Unlike the movies there is very rarely any jumping over couches, crawling through duct work and men with very poor Russian accents.
    Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam

I'll just split the difference and keep on carrying a 40S&W. Packs like a nine, hits like a forty-five.

8. +1 with G50AE...I carry a M&P .40cal loaded with 180 gr. Winchester Bonded PDX-1. That ammo and caliber is issued as duty by the FBI, so it should be good enough for an old guy like me.
    Sam Ragsdale
    AGCM(AW/SW) USN-Ret

NRA Life Member

Not in your gun but the trade off of going from a .45 with legendary stopping power to the 9mm is simply volume. Can be quite comforting knowing you have a few rounds left as opposed to having only seven or eight before reloading. Just think more than one BG.
    Yes I know the Big Hawg holds a lot of .45 but there are easier guns to conceal and carry with 15 - 19 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I'll just split the difference and keep on carrying a 40S&W. Packs like a nine, hits like a forty-five.
    yep, works for me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    The topic is 9mm vs .45acp. If you want to add the 40 s&w, please start another thread.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast