9 MM vrs 45 - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 9 MM vrs 45

CapGun has it.
    Volume - particularly for CCW to ME is the key, JMHO

Who do I talk to in finding out what states except Wv concealed licences?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Smith View Post
    Who do I talk to in finding out what states except Wv concealed licences?

Thanks
    bob, top left corner under resources. welcome aboard

5. The round you can confidently place in an organ your target will miss in a HURRY would be what I recommend...that being said...I still believe big,slow bullets cause a bigger permanent wound channel,causeing more hemmorage,not to mention transfer more kinetic energy into the target increasing the shocking effect. In my opinion,I choose the venerable .45ACP. That being said,what weapon are YOU more comfortable carring? A large weapon left home in the safe,will be of no use to you,should you need it. Also,IMHO,ANY caliber,PROPERLY placed will/should do what you want it too. In other words,I'd take it over a sharp stick!! take care,stay safe!! :smile

I have 2 verson's of both not kimbers but 9mm Taurus 9mmM&P, G-21 and Bersa Ultra Pro 45, def go with the 45 if you a lot of range shooting the 45 can cost a little more than the 9 but it is a much better option, and the idea that the 45 will go thru walla in a home defence situation and a 9mm will not, the only thing i can say to that is the 9mm he was using must have be some real weak stuff your average 9mm and 45acp rounds FMJ or JHP will penatrate your AVERAGE house wall, wall board, insulation plywood and sideing about the same

7. A 4"Springfield XD .45acp...13 rds. I like it. A bigger hole(permanent wound channel,maximum hemmorrage) thats what I choose. Comfy,and I can hit with it. Yes,really like the 9mm Berretta too...carry alot at work,can hit with that too...just don't care for FMJ ammo.I like the idea of a big,heavy slug coming to an abrupt halt in target,it illustrates what I just mentioned about causing ALOT of trauma. Well,that's my two cents...

8. I think the appropriate caliber is the biggest that you are willing to carry with you everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    If one can't hit a 9 inch diameter paper plate at 10 yards with a .45, what makes you think it can be done with a 9mm?
    <snip>
    However, its all about rounds on target, rounds down range.
    Good question and thanks for asking it.

My evidence is purely anecdotal, but in 20 years in the Army shooting pistols and watching them be shot by inexperienced shooters; and in running the range qualification for several hundred CCH students; and teaching numerous defensive pistol courses; it has been my observation that most shooters shoot most 9mm platforms more accurately than comparable .45 platforms.

The same thing can be said about .22s, but that's off-topic.

Given the same brand, same model, same sights, 9mm will generally be shot more accurately.

And I absolutely concur that it's really all about rounds on target.

My usual advice to those asking this kind of question is this:
    Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

I believe the .45acp is more accurate if you have no time limits.
    Sweet, so all I have to do is tell the BG to stop and then I can take my time! No really, more accurate? I would be willing to bet otherwise.

I have done experiments with 3 different shooters. Glock 17c (9mm) vs Glock 21 .45 acp) 10 rounds, 20 seconds FBI target 21 feet.

Hands down, the 9mm wins.
    That seems to be more accurate.

My first choice would be to grab the pump 12 gauge.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Never had to use my gun, never want to use my gun, will not hesitate to use my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by danhammondsr View Post
    Good question and thanks for asking it.

My evidence is purely anecdotal, but in 20 years in the Army shooting pistols and watching them be shot by inexperienced shooters; and in running the range qualification for several hundred CCH students; and teaching numerous defensive pistol courses; it has been my observation that most shooters shoot most 9mm platforms more accurately than comparable .45 platforms.

The same thing can be said about .22s, but that's off-topic.

Given the same brand, same model, same sights, 9mm will generally be shot more accurately.

And I absolutely concur that it's really all about rounds on target.

My usual advice to those asking this kind of question is this:
    Carry the largest gun you can comfortably conceal, in the largest caliber you can accurately shoot.
    Something else I've learned over the years is that accurately placing the first shot is easy, no matter what the caliber. It's the follow-up shots that become challenging. As long as you only ever need one shot, .45 or 9mm will probably be equally accurate. Should you need to shoot more than once in rapid succession, 9mm will usually be more accurate.

If you can keep rapid follow-up shots from a .45 in the paper plate at 10 yards it's the clear choice. Otherwise the 9mm is a better choice.
    Dan Hammond, Sr.
    Christian and No Foolin' Infidel
    NRA Marksmanship Instructor and Training Counselor, RSO, KS CCH Instructor

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567