9 MM vrs 45
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9 MM vrs 45

1. 9 MM vrs 45

I just bought a new Kimber 1911 Ultra Carry 45. This unit is made in both a 45 and 9 mm, but the dealer only had the 45 in stock. When I got to the gun shop, they had 3 units and sold one of them while I was there.

I know that the 45 has a lot more knock-down power, but I am also planning to use this for target practice to get very comfortable with it. the 45 ammo is about $ 5 a box more than the 9 mm, and I am wondering if this is a big enough factor to go with the 9 mm over the 45. the 9 mm version also holds one more round in the magazine.

I am curious to know others thoughts on the 45 vrs 9 mm option. I can probably afford the higher cost of the 45, but it also has a lot more kick to it than the 9 mm and it is hard for me to envision an environment where a 9 mm would not have enough knock-down power (especially with a defense load).

I would love to hear what others think.

Thanks,

Neal

.45. Hands down. Followed closely by the .357...Sig -or- Magnum. One Man's opinion.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

4. Personal opinion.
    9mm is a very good defensive caliber with the right ammo.
    45ACP is even better with the right ammo.
    With a single stack magazine 1911 such as your Kimber, I think the bigger & more effective round makes more sense.

I'm jealous of your Kimber...great guns.
    -Kevin

I personally prefer 9mm but would not make that choice based on price. If I felt 45 was better I would have a 45. When it comes to your safety don't let money rule the day. IMHO.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Most people will agree that the .45 knock down power is more effective than the 9mm, but you would have to choose which one you can handle efficiently with quick follow-up shots.

By the way, 9mm pistols are carried by many law enforcement agencies in this country and if you consider loading it with +p/+p+ ammo, it comes very close to the stats of a .357sig round.

7. 45 makes a bigger hole....

Ken

I'd only consider a 9 if it gave me a lot more rounds and double-action capability.
    Why don't you carry both? Then you can look my pal Yosimite up there in the corner.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

If this weapon is going to protect you or loved ones, it should be the one that you are the best with, most confortable with and can fire multi shoots with precision. If it is just a play toy keep what you have paid for. I do not recommend a 45 for inhome defense. the bullit can leave the house or even worse travel to another room that your family or loved ones are in. NRA instructor. Paul (just my thoughts)

Quote Originally Posted by Armed View Post
    I do not recommend a 45 for inhome defense. the bullit can leave the house or even worse travel to another room that your family or loved ones are in. NRA instructor.
    So can a .22. And - for what it's worth - the words "knock down power" are a fantasy. NO single bullet can knock a man down. What you want is a round that will disrupt as much as possible major physiological operating systems, and a .45 does that best, in my opinion. US Army Marksmanship Instructor.
    NRA Life; GOA Life; CCRKBA Life; Trustee, NJCSD; F&AM: 32 & KT
    The Only Answer to a Bad Guy with a Gun - Is a Good Guy with a Gun!
    When Seconds Count...The Police are only MINUTES Away!

11. I like the 9mm because I am better trained and much more comfortable with it. I can fire several shots in rapid succession while maintaining a positive lock on my target. When shooting the .45, the follow-through becomes a bit of a challenge for me.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast