Looking for opinions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for opinions

Newton's laws of physics say if you're gonna have it hit the BG hard enough it's gonna have some recoil. She should get over the revolver thing. It's one of the best choices for someone who doesn't know much about guns. Very simple to operate.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

suggestions go right back to glocks...it's a little concerning that you choose to carry a firearm that you have to readjust your grip to prevent tripping the safety. That's absolutely the last thing you want should you ever have to use it. In the heat of the moment, are you going to remember, "ok, if i hold it like this it will keep going bang"? Unless you have a problem with glocks, i would stay with what you are familiar with and won't give you any issue going bang. There are lots of options, the best of which were already mentioned by other members suggesting you get a used one if cost is the issue. I personally am a new gun guy, i like knowing that there hasn't been any tinkering or otherwise (but then again, i'm the same with cars). one exception to that is guns from family, that I know have been taken care of. I have to agree with the others, a LEO used glock is probably your best bet, and if you have any concerns about it then glock armorers are pretty cheap

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Newton's laws of physics say if you're gonna have it hit the BG hard enough it's gonna have some recoil. She should get over the revolver thing. It's one of the best choices for someone who doesn't know much about guns. Very simple to operate.
    i agree with half of that :) i agree that revolvers are a good choice, easy to operate and learn. the physics part is where you get dicey and fall right into the caliber debate, suffice to say that I dont' believe that to be true at all, no bullet in a handgun is a one shot "manstopper" and I personally will take extra lead from more capacity every time.

thanks guys what caliber should i look into for her she can shoot the 9 pretty well but im not sure if thats a good choice for a female i have heard .38 380 ect whats yall opinions. and on the other hand thinking about a baby glock maby a 45 since im used to the bigger bore

Quote Originally Posted by jbarnwell22 View Post
    thanks guys what caliber should i look into for her she can shoot the 9 pretty well but im not sure if thats a good choice for a female i have heard .38 380 ect whats yall opinions. and on the other hand thinking about a baby glock maby a 45 since im used to the bigger bore
    Don't go down that road. I know females that carry snub nose .357 mag revolvers who shoot better than your average Joe. With proper training, anything is possible. My suggestion would be to hit the range and let her shoot a variety of guns. Maybe you can find a local gun club or group that has "fun shoot" type activities. SHE should be deciding what's best for her. If she's comfortable with the 9mm caliber, then go from there. Let her shoot various makes of handguns chambered in 9mm.

glock armorers are pretty cheap
    Hey man, I may be a lot of things, but one thing I'm not is "cheap". Am I "affordable", yes, "cheap", no.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

thanks gf sounds like your a glock guy like me im trying to decide what my next glocks gona be weather im gona go with a baby 45 or back to a full size if i go there i will prolly go back to the 20c loved that thing. just too expensive to go to the range with. any suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jbarnwell22 View Post
    thanks gf sounds like your a glock guy like me im trying to decide what my next glocks gona be weather im gona go with a baby 45 or back to a full size if i go there i will prolly go back to the 20c loved that thing. just too expensive to go to the range with. any suggestions
    If you like the Glock pistol, stick with it. If the 10mm round is too expensive, then find a more affordable caliber. The 10mm round is the most expensive to shoot (at least from what I've observed). You can find the other calibers more readily and most of the time at better prices. The .357 sig is a close second and .45 gap a close third. Most common and therefore least expensive ammo would be the 9mm. If you can find a group of friends who shoot the same caliber, maybe you can do a bulk ammo purchase?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

9. This is jbarnwell22's gf. I can rack the slide back on his Sccy with no problem, and it's not like "I don't know anything about guns". I am perfectly comfortable with his 9mm and i've even shot his 12 gauge shotgun, shoot..that hurt my shoulder, but I can still shoot it . I will not get over the revolver thing. No, I have not shot one, but I'm not interested either. I do however, think that going to a range is a good idea to try out different guns. And as someone pointed out earlier , the main reason revolvers are recommended to women is just that, because they are women..

i was looking at the 36 but dont know if ill like the slimline glock. i have also looked into the springfiels xd40 too dont know much about them tho

Quote Originally Posted by cherishbarnwell View Post
    This is jbarnwell22's gf. I am perfectly comfortable with his 9mm and i've even shot his 12 gauge shotgun, shoot..that hurt my shoulder, but I can still shoot it . I can rack the slide back with no problem, and it's not like "I don't know anything about guns". I will not get over the revolver thing. No, I have not shot one, but I'm not interested either. I do however, think that going to a range is a good idea to try out different guns. And as someone pointed out earlier , the main reason revolvers are recommended to women is just that, because they are women..
    If the shotgun hurt your shoulder, you may have had the stock placed incorrectly. The stock should be placed into the pocket where your arm meets your torso and held firmly against the body.

Shoot various guns chambered in 9mm to see what works best for you. Unless there's some urgency in you purchasing a CC firearm (recent death threats, etc), you'll be a lot better off saving your money to buy something that works well for you rather than purchase a "second choice" firearm based on price. There are a lot of guns out there that I'd love to have to shoot at the range, but wouldn't trust as a primary carry firearm unless absolutely necessary. Another suggestion would be to get some training with a professional firearms instructor or even a group of knowledgeable women. Many times women do things differently if their boyfriend, husband, etc. is around than they would do if they were on their own with a group of shooters not so closely related.

I've seen this in a few of the classes I've taught over the years.

gf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast